Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzlebreak vs mod

Muzzlebreak vs mod

Would a good muzzlebreak do all that a good mod would do? If not how much does a muzzlebreak reduce muzzle flip and noise.
    Looking on youtube an american custom firm swear by them and I like the idea of reducing front end weight aused by a conventional mod.
    Comments welcome - I have no experience of them.
    Have a good Xmas

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I've never heard that a muzzle brake reduces noise.........

They do reduce flip though, but you might not be welcome on a range with one.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Muzzle brakes reduce flip and recoil and will alienate you if you shoot alongside anyone else unless you are shooting with the 50cal club. They do nothing to protect your hearing. A moderator will do everything a brake does to almost the same degree.
    There are some horror stories out there about reticles being damaged by the fitting of mod's but I don't know if the same is true about brakes.
    I had a .270 that jumped hugely on firing that became a much nicer beast with a mod on.
    There are many claims made for brakes but there are not many published scientific facts published regarding the noise reduction for the shooter/bystanders.
    In the U.K with run of the mill calibers mods outnumber brakes by 20-1 there is probably a good reason for that.

Muzzle brakes do not reduce noise, in fact in some cases they increase it.
    They do however reduce recoil and muzzle flip but are an abomination to anyone at either side of the shooter.
    Most benefit would be gained in a rapid-fire situation but for general sporting purposes I see little need.

HWH.

Wherabouts are you W16OEN.

If you are not too far from me (near Kimbolton, Cambs) you are welcome to try a 7mm-08 with muzzle brake and with Mod?
    Last edited by Eyefor; 25-12-2010 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by W16OEN View Post
    Would a good muzzlebreak do all that a good mod would do? If not how much does a muzzlebreak reduce muzzle flip and noise.
    Looking on youtube an american custom firm swear by them and I like the idea of reducing front end weight aused by a conventional mod.
    Comments welcome - I have no experience of them.
    Have a good Xmas
    Get a titanium mod if worried about weight, muzzle brakes don,t reduce noize, but do stop muzzle flip and recoil on a fully or semi auto rifle. You have to remember that the US market is different as you have to pay a tax and get a ticket for a mod and it can,t be used for hunting.

I have both.
    A mod reduces recoil to a good push and takes away much noise.
    A good brake takes far more recoil away but at the cost of more noise (alot more).
    I would shy off a brake on small cases (below 48-50 gr's powder) as advantage isn't worth it.
    They really do work a treat on magnums ect.

Hmmm a brake cannot increase the noise but it does direct it where the shooter and any companions can get the full benefit of what is avaibale noise wise .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm a brake cannot increase the noise but it does direct it where the shooter and any companions can get the full benefit of what is avaibale noise wise .

Hmmm. Try Wikipedia on muzzle brakes !
    Disadvantages 5.2 :- `Measurements indicate that on a rifle a muzzle brake adds 5-10 dB to the normal noise level perceived by the shooter, increasing noise levels up to 160 dB +/- 3 dB.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Hmmm. Try Wikipedia on muzzle brakes !
    Disadvantages 5.2 :- `Measurements indicate that on a rifle a muzzle brake adds 5-10 dB to the normal noise level perceived by the shooter, increasing noise levels up to 160 dB +/- 3 dB.

HWH.

"perceived by the shooter" normally the noise is going out and away from the shooter. With a brake it's diverted and some brakes angles some of the blast and noise rearwards out at an angle. So to the shooter it's much louder than norlam however it can only re-direct the sound that the rifle shot produces it cannot increase that noise.