Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder measures??? advice/ recommendations please

Powder measures??? advice/ recommendations please

hi guys
    im currently working a Lee perfect powder measure but its anything but perfect and throws anything up to or over a grain either side of what i want.
    at best its half a grain out and i adjust manually with a powder dipper and its ok for that.......soooooo..
    what do you have that works?!?!?!
    its the only powder measure ive had. or worked......what others...manual or electronic etc
    ANY advice welcome......

sauer / paul

Paul

I have a RCBS powder throw. I then trickle up to my desired weight on electronic scales. I have a set of tweezers for removing kernels if I overshoot. The initial throw weight can vary by up to 1 grain. I have a set of Lee powder dippers, but have never used them. I believe some folk have great success using only the dippers. I am looking to have all the powder weights within +- 0.1 grain of my desired load.

Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Paul

I have a RCBS powder throw. I then trickle up to my desired weight on electronic scales. I have a set of tweezers for removing kernels if I overshoot. The initial throw weight can vary by up to 1 grain. I have a set of Lee powder dippers, but have never used them. I believe some folk have great success using only the dippers. I am looking to have all the powder weights within +- 0.1 grain of my desired load.

Rgds JCS
    +1 on that !

i do exactly the same as JCS , ive got my RCBS powder thrower set within +\- 1 grain and trickle in the rest .

i do have a mate who uses only tjhe lee powder dippers and has very good results , but im a bit of a stickler for getting my charge weights spot on !

speaking of powder time to make a brew and head to the work shop and load up some more 270 rounds to try , nearly got it sussed just need to tweek it a little to reduse the grouping by 1\4" and that will do !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I use a Lyman powder thrower and then trickle up to the full charge on a set of My Weigh iBalance 101 electronic scales. Seems to work fine.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lee dippers, nearest spoon to the required load, then trickle into the rcbs electronic scale pan, could be described as slow....... but who cares it's in the words of Alex (csl) "Cathartic"!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

RCBS Uniflow in a tower mount with a RCBS trickler and shute attached which is superb, throw just under charge straight into the scales pan and trickle the last few kernels in, seems to throw very consistant weights just under as well also quite quick when you get in the swing of it and spot on loads every time,i dont know if any other makes of thrower would fit the tower but got mine from midway about 40 for the tower, shute and inbuilt trckler.
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    RCBS Uniflow in a tower mount with a RCBS trickler and shute attached which is superb, throw just under charge straight into the scales pan and trickle the last few kernels in, seems to throw very consistant weights just under as well also quite quick when you get in the swing of it and spot on loads every time,i dont know if any other makes of thrower would fit the tower but got mine from midway about 40 for the tower, shute and inbuilt trckler.
    Neil.
    nice one benn looking fof one of those rcbs powder shoot thingys for ages !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Still doing them Lee under powder tricklers but now 56 only bought mine about a year ago.
    44.74 just 13 months ago i paid sign of the times i guess.
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 26-12-2010 at 11:53.

RCBS here, works well, +/- .1 grain if you do your part ok, this is with either Vit N-120 and H110.
    It is the way you operate it that makes the difference, more accurate if you hit the stops firmly, top and bottom.
    I also found the way you mount it important, when I first got it I was using a piece of bent steel strip, too flexible.
    Now I use the proper cast RCBS tower mount, which is securely bolted to a base and then clamped down with a G clamp.

Neil.

I use a Harrel, throw light and trickle up after transfering the thrown charge on an Acculab scale.

Before anyone mentions its a very expensive and unecessary method of measuring for stalking loads - I use this for all my loading - and I shoot 1000's of rounds target shooting every year.

Ive always thrown light nd trickled to what the charge should be. Never had light charge or wondered if I was over.

Despite being a Harrel, I dont trust it (or any) powder thrower.

I would be tempted by a device called Targetmaster (I think)

Which is a electronic trickler with light source switch that attaches to any beam type scale and gives really good measuring on any powder (stick, ball, flake)

(well I would be if I hadnt invested in what I have now that is....)