Powder measures??? advice/ recommendations please

sauer

hi guys
im currently working a Lee perfect powder measure but its anything but perfect and throws anything up to or over a grain either side of what i want.
at best its half a grain out and i adjust manually with a powder dipper and its ok for that.......soooooo..
what do you have that works?!?!?!
its the only powder measure ive had. or worked......what others...manual or electronic etc
ANY advice welcome......

sauer / paul

Paul

I have a RCBS powder throw. I then trickle up to my desired weight on electronic scales. I have a set of tweezers for removing kernels if I overshoot. The initial throw weight can vary by up to 1 grain. I have a set of Lee powder dippers, but have never used them. I believe some folk have great success using only the dippers. I am looking to have all the powder weights within +- 0.1 grain of my desired load.

Rgds JCS

Paul

I have a RCBS powder throw. I then trickle up to my desired weight on electronic scales. I have a set of tweezers for removing kernels if I overshoot. The initial throw weight can vary by up to 1 grain. I have a set of Lee powder dippers, but have never used them. I believe some folk have great success using only the dippers. I am looking to have all the powder weights within +- 0.1 grain of my desired load.

Rgds JCS

+1 on that !

i do exactly the same as JCS , ive got my RCBS powder thrower set within +\- 1 grain and trickle in the rest .

i do have a mate who uses only tjhe lee powder dippers and has very good results , but im a bit of a stickler for getting my charge weights spot on !

speaking of powder time to make a brew and head to the work shop and load up some more 270 rounds to try , nearly got it sussed just need to tweek it a little to reduse the grouping by 1\4" and that will do !

cheers lee

I use a Lyman powder thrower and then trickle up to the full charge on a set of My Weigh iBalance 101 electronic scales. Seems to work fine.

willie_gunn

Lee dippers, nearest spoon to the required load, then trickle into the rcbs electronic scale pan, could be described as slow....... but who cares it's in the words of Alex (csl) "Cathartic"!:D

RCBS Uniflow in a tower mount with a RCBS trickler and shute attached which is superb, throw just under charge straight into the scales pan and trickle the last few kernels in, seems to throw very consistant weights just under as well also quite quick when you get in the swing of it and spot on loads every time,i dont know if any other makes of thrower would fit the tower but got mine from midway about £40 for the tower, shute and inbuilt trckler.
Neil.

RCBS Uniflow in a tower mount with a RCBS trickler and shute attached which is superb, throw just under charge straight into the scales pan and trickle the last few kernels in, seems to throw very consistant weights just under as well also quite quick when you get in the swing of it and spot on loads every time,i dont know if any other makes of thrower would fit the tower but got mine from midway about £40 for the tower, shute and inbuilt trckler.
Neil.

nice one benn looking fof one of those rcbs powder shoot thingys for ages !

Still doing them Lee under powder tricklers but now £56 only bought mine about a year ago.:eek:
£44.74 just 13 months ago i paid sign of the times i guess.

Last edited:
RCBS here, works well, +/- .1 grain if you do your part ok, this is with either Vit N-120 and H110.
It is the way you operate it that makes the difference, more accurate if you hit the stops firmly, top and bottom.
I also found the way you mount it important, when I first got it I was using a piece of bent steel strip, too flexible.
Now I use the proper cast RCBS tower mount, which is securely bolted to a base and then clamped down with a G clamp.

Neil. :)

I use a Harrel, throw light and trickle up after transfering the thrown charge on an Acculab scale.

Before anyone mentions its a very expensive and unecessary method of measuring for stalking loads - I use this for all my loading - and I shoot 1000's of rounds target shooting every year.

Ive always thrown light nd trickled to what the charge should be. Never had light charge or wondered if I was over.

Despite being a Harrel, I dont trust it (or any) powder thrower.

I would be tempted by a device called Targetmaster (I think)

Which is a electronic trickler with light source switch that attaches to any beam type scale and gives really good measuring on any powder (stick, ball, flake)

(well I would be if I hadnt invested in what I have now that is....)

I have 3 RCBS Uniflow droppers on the bench set for different loads.
After part filling the hopper with powder I drop 5 or 6 charges into the trickler which lives beside the pan of the beam scales.
This settles the hopper down and subsequent charges are very accurate.
Slow burning, coarse grained powders do not measure as accurately as faster powders such as Varget, BLC2, Viht.140 etc.
HWH.
P1000738.jpg

cheers for the replies guys.....basically load of you doing roughly the same as me already

getting the near enough load with powder measure then trickling up to the figure required.

i just wanted summit quicker and accurate

i have heard of the "Harrel" powder measures ...meant to be the dogs danglies....

but maybe its down to the powder im using ...VHT N160 ..... seeing as its only powder ive used in the powder measure and its known as quite a coarse grained powder ......so...mmmm..dunnoe will have a think, dont think i could justify an electric powder measure and i think id want to try it first , see how consistent it throws stuff out etc......then again these Harrel powder measures are cheaper.....just wonder if how consistent they are with likes of N160

that is a reloading bench ..!!!!!!!
hell he stocks more than my local shops combined!!!!!!!!!

sauer/ paul

I used to be a stickler for measuring powder to within a single grain of powder, however I now think it depends on what range you plan to shoot at. I made 25 rounds of 6.5-284 with powder thrown by Lee cheepo chucker to fire form before serious use and shock horror they made a blob that measured .6 inch outside diameter at 100m. Now the velocity difference at 1000 yards may not be acceptable but it took a lot of effort out of reloading for plinking and blatting crows on the farm out to 200m.

I use the Lee dippers for most of mine when looking for hunting accuracy except for when loading for longer ranges. I'd say at least 75% of the time I find no need to be spot on. When I do want precise, I use the dipper to get close and trickle in the remainder.

I used to be a stickler for measuring powder to within a single grain of powder, however I now think it depends on what range you plan to shoot at. I made 25 rounds of 6.5-284 with powder thrown by Lee cheepo chucker to fire form before serious use and shock horror they made a blob that measured .6 inch outside diameter at 100m. Now the velocity difference at 1000 yards may not be acceptable but it took a lot of effort out of reloading for plinking and blatting crows on the farm out to 200m.

LLD, This just about sums up my experiences! I rarely use my trickler these days, just throw a measure into the beam scale pan, check the weight and put the powder into the primed case. My Lee perfect is just about that, perfect! If I follow the same routine, I can get very accurate powder weights out of it.

Simon

Edit, I too like Stag's bench, especially the 8x68S placed for the camera, very nice indeed!

Last edited:
Despite having a Uniflow, it's laying in a drawer, for the last 4 years I have been using the Lee Dippers and checking the charge weight on the Lyman scales. To use the dippers I pour the powder into a ceramic bowl and push the dipper down into it then wipe the powder leverl with a plastic card then pour into the scales pan. Most charges do not need topping up or reducing when using this method. Of course one is restricted to charge weights thrown by the dippers although I do have a Redding powder trickler picked up used some years back from Joe at Gunshop.

Back