Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Munsterlander pup

Large Munsterlander pup

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas,

Does anyone know where in the UK I can hold of a large munsterlander puppy?

So far I have only found the Blitzan Stud, but they haven't got any litters due that coincide with me.

Any ideas people!

Beware -

Great dogs when well-bred, but I am aware of some affixes with big temperament issues surfacing in litters: the show-ring being more important to many breeders than the field. Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but talk to as many people as you possibly can in and around the breed before plumping for a pup; that way you'll stand the best chance of buying a sweet-natured and loyal working companion.

Best of luck!
    KevinF -

Deerstalkergirl
    Ask on here http://workinghprs.myfastforum.org/index.php
    I met a few folks off here, very helpful

Brian
    Last edited by The Croc; 27-12-2010 at 13:02.

PM sent Re breeders.

Agree with Kevin, and add that certain affixes are also having issues with hyperuricouria (HUU) arising with dogs as carriers or affected over the past year so another thing to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by munstisue View Post
    PM sent Re breeders.

Agree with Kevin, and add that certain affixes are also having issues with hyperuricouria (HUU) arising with dogs as carriers or affected over the past year so another thing to watch out for.
    Ah well, perhaps you should go for a nice safe bet - For Sale: CNM/PRA Clear Yellow/Fox Red Labrador Pups
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

I thought that labs were another breed prone to it along with dalmations,GSD,some terriers,weimaraners the list goes on,shouldn't worry to much find a reputable breeder and hopefully you'll get a good dog,mines a Blitzan and he's a diamond.
    ATB Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalkergirl View Post
    Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas,

Does anyone know where in the UK I can hold of a large munsterlander puppy?

So far I have only found the Blitzan Stud, but they haven't got any litters due that coincide with me.

Any ideas people!
    I had a bit of a wait to find one over here too. A word of caution; they're lively! My bitch is two and a half now and still pretty hyper. Having said that, I have no previous experience training dogs and went on recommended natural ability. She's a great hunter and points really well. Still a bit wooly about retrieving runners but, all in all, a cracking all-rounder. And she looks fantastic!

Well this thread me made laugh. Absolutely bang on.

Otto is 5 (dog) and superb on deer, BUT....... he has a very strong will and although very well trained (i put soooo much time in) will do his own thing if i dont check him immediately. Lively doesnt do him justice even now. The major up side is that although on deer he is relentless and the odd time ive sent him in is very aggressive he has NEVER even growled at any of the family and i have two under 4's who do all sorts of silly things with him.

Im delighted but im not convinced i would have another as he is very high maintainance (more than the wife) and would not recommend to anyone who is a novice with dogs. They need to be well handled. (my last 4 dogs were GWP).

He's a Tarkanya from Helen Evans

good site for all hpr breeds,look out for member using the name scolapax scolapax.her real name his karen and is a very good trainer.her dogs are also tarkanya lines,very good workers.if you pm her direct from the site she will be very helpfull

I had a Munsterlander of Tarkanya lines, just put him away at the age of 15, last month, as Sariel says, bang on, he was very deer orientated, when i got him i didnt train him for stalking as he was more a bird dog, i did use him for finding deer but didn't take him while stalking as he was a bit full on, and bayed on deer scent. He was most calm when worked hard i done alot of grouse counting/beating/shooting with him, don't know many munsterlanders in this country that have held a point capercaille!
    I have heard alot of people talk about an aggresive line but mine never showed any aggression to anybody, to the point of being a pain in the arse, as he wanted patted and stroked relentlessly by anyone and everyone, or even to any other dogs, unless there was a deer carcase, then he would 'smile' at other dogs if they came close to his deer, but that was the extent of his aggression.
    I have two children that grew up with him and as Sariel says, done all the silly things with Adler as well and he took it in his stride
    As he became older and i didn't work him he did became high maintainance as well, becoming noisy if left in the kennel and became a bit stressed if you left him alone in the house.
    Please don't let any of the negative stuff put you off owning a munsterlander, our family had a fantastic fifteen years with him and was a great hunting companion and is probably the most missed out of all our dogs.Attachment 4042Adler at fifteen
    Last edited by moose; 02-01-2011 at 17:50.