.22 Hornet Realoading !

just

Hi, just received a reloding kit for my .22 Hornet this xmas and i'm a bit confused with the resizing issues ! Do i really need to fully resize the case's o'r just the neck's, as it states in the reloading book that a fired case from the same gun is the best fit you can have !??? Thank's...:oops:

Neck sizing will give you more case life and more accuracy,however Neck sized cases should only be used in the rifle it was fired from;)
Tusker

I have just had a issue with neck sizing...I always neck sized but have now stopped due from the advice on this forum, if a case is neck sized eventually you will need to 'bump' the shoulder back due to brass migration. I have since found out that hunting brass should be fully sized due to this fact as if you need a second shot and it wont feed it could make you wish you had.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html

Here a bit of advice I found on the net.

I generally neck size from choice but need to full length size about every third firing, as soon as the bolt feels a bit tight on a new round I just full length resize the lot at the next reloading session and the one after that.

I dont currently load for Hornet but am just in the process of acquiring a 17AH so soon will be !.

A

I neck size only for my hornet, some of the brass I used working a load up has had at least 10 loads now, no problems yet, still chamber properly.
Something has moved though as they needed trimming for length, once.

Neil. :)

Thank's Lads you've been very helpfull ! Another issue i've got is that the Full lenght sizer (Lee Die) wont accept the casing, they only go in 2/3 of the way ! A considerable force is applied to the lever but they will not go in any further ! I feel as if somethings wrong here, any help would be much appreciated. Thank's ..:oops:

I dont reload for hornet my self but just wondering have you lubed the necks inside before trying sounds like the neck mandrel is sticking or you have a naff die.

Hi, yes have lubed the casing inside and out ! What do you mean with the neck mandrel sticking !? Thank's..

Only that if there was no lube that would drag on the brass but even so it shouldn't be that hard to size,have you unsrewed the top of the die to have alook at it make sure there is no obstruction in there and also there should be a small hole that vents the die stopping it hydraulicing make sure its clear poke a needle or some wire through it.

Yes, just stripped it apart, seems that the neck get's squeezed/deforms real bad further along into the die. Thinking it must be a fault with the die, seems to be too narrow on the outside, internal rod seems fine though !? Same story with the primer tool - parts missing !!!! story of my life !! lol :-| Thank's again...

I was happily using a Lee Classic Loader for my .223, but after advice about loading for a Hornet on this forum..
I do the following, all Lee dies
1st Deprime using the universal deprimer (don't want dirty brass in my sizing die, and don't want dirty primers in my cleaning solution, see below)
2nd Clean in an ultrasonic cleaner
3rd Neck size with a collet die
4th Flare case mouth gently with the universal case expander (now using a Lyman Hornet expander)
5th Prime cases using a Lee hand primer
6th Charge case and seat bullet with dead length bullet seater
7th Crimp round using the factory crimp die
I'm sure the man who advised me so well will be along to offer you his advise.

Neil. :)

Yes, just stripped it apart, seems that the neck get's squeezed/deforms real bad further along into the die. Thinking it must be a fault with the die, seems to be too narrow on the outside, internal rod seems fine though !? Same story with the primer tool - parts missing !!!! story of my life !! lol :-| Thank's again...

What are you using for case lube?? And do you have the dies set according to the manufacturer's instructions?? The chances are great that it's the operator, not the dies. (No offense intended) ~Muir

Odd going's on there with the case not fully entering the die.

I would suggest that you:
Pull all of the 'guts' from the die leaving only the die body. Then attempt to seat a case fully into the die. If you cannot, then there is something wrong with the die. If you can, the most likely problem is setup.

Start by screwing the decapping rod back into the die body to a depth of only two full threads. Run an empty case back into the die. If there is no problem, leave the case in the die, and screw the decapping rod into the die until you get resistance. Then back the case out of the die, screw the decapping rod in until the decapping pin extends no more than 3mm from the bottom of the die body. Try to seat an empty case again. If you have problems, it's most likely the die. Take it to an experienced reloader and have them have a look at it.

With respect to neck-only sizing, some 30 years ago I bought into the idea that it would produce longer case life and better precision. Those suppositions make sense. However, after many years of using that method for many cartridges, I have completely abandoned it because it did not produce the desired results for me. I don't have any problems with case life WHEN FULL LENGTH DIES ARE PROPERLY SET UP FOR A SPECIFIC RIFLE'S CHAMBER. Furthermore, I realized NO improvement in precision.

I'M NOT SAYING OTHERS MAY NOT HAVE REALIZED THESE BENEFITS. I AM SAYING THAT AFTER EXTENSIVE USE AND A DESIRE FOR THIS PROCESS TO "WORK", AND IN SPITE OF THE "LOGIC" OF IT, IT DID NOT PRODUCE LONGER CASE LIFE OR BETTER PRECISION FOR ME.

If you (the editorial you), wanna neck-only resize, and you get both longer case life and better precision, I am nothing less than 'pleased as punch' for you. As for me, I have quit parting with the extras expense of neck-only dies and the hassle of having to segregate all of my .308 Win reloads (and other multiple-rifle ammo I use), depending on what rifle they are to be used in.

Regards,
Paul

Hi, you're all so very helpfull on here, thank's.. but have since sorted out the problem !!!:D I put a lot of RCBS lube inside of the die !!! and slowly fed the case in and out, mm by mm at a time under considerable force until after the 4 o'r 5 th case things started to free up !!!! Seems that the die was very tight !! is this normal with new dies ?? Thank's lads..

I have reloaded 22H brass x10+ now with no problems .when reloading, neck size x2 loads then then full size the 3rd load , trim length always. Its in the way you set the dies, that saves the headache. Too low the die, & the bullet will not seat well, too high it will drop in. The thing with Hornet they are small & fiddley, & will need alignment with your fingers on the neck or full sizer. Good luck

Last edited:
I have just had a issue with neck sizing...I always neck sized but have now stopped due from the advice on this forum, if a case is neck sized eventually you will need to 'bump' the shoulder back due to brass migration. I have since found out that hunting brass should be fully sized due to this fact as if you need a second shot and it wont feed it could make you wish you had.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html

Here a bit of advice I found on the net.

22 Hornet?? Shoulder? What shoulder??;) I don't find the need to FL resize Hornet in my CZ but then I use Lil Gun which develops comparatively low pressures. The brass is also thin enough so that it's not much of an issue with a good bolt design.

I like to neck size, expand with a Lee Universal Expander, and end with a crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp. Works well in every Hornet I've used the technique on.~Muir

Hi, Just realised that the primer pin and the die rod is off set, and not dead center !! therfore the casings come out with a longer neck on one side !! Sit them on a table neck down and they fall over !! Back to the store next week i think !?:rolleyes:

Back