Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 rebarrel to 7mm08, what will it cost.

Question 308 rebarrel to 7mm08, what will it cost.

Hi anybody able to let me know what sort of price I can expect to pay for a 308 to 7mm08 rebarrel, I want a sporter profle rather than a heavy varmit type barrel aprox 20inch, as I will be doing a lot of walking with this rifle, and not worried about sub MOA as it will only see a range for zeroing. will also want it screw cut.
    Any info would be gratefully received as I have never had a rifle rebarrelled.

I will break it down, these costs are only approximates since prices have gone up since my last re-barrel.

Barrel from 250
    fitting from 250
    screw cut from 60
    proof around 50

In all honesty if your not bothered about MOA and don't shoot deer past 300 yards then it really isn't worth bothering.

At a guess you are looking at 450-700 depending on the type/make of barrel used and of course who does the work. If you go to someone like Border barrels or Callum Fergerson then the costs are probably even higher.

Circa 600 stainless finish if you want a reblue add another 160
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Send a PM to Redmist, he is not a million miles from Lancashire, his work is exemplary and very reasonably priced.

Best

P

again thanks brithunter I think that this is an expensive option when you include the cost of the donor rifle.

Thanks for that scotch egg
    . main reason for the question very limited choice availability of 7mm08 rifles new or second hand, I have a slot for a 308 and thought about getting one s/h for little money and rebarreling, based on your estimates this isnt going to be a cheap alternative. I know sako 75 got a browning x bolt in 7mm08 special order for 750 so may go down that route (already have a x bolt stainless stalker in .223rem) as they are a good value for money rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    Thanks for that scotch egg
    . main reason for the question very limited choice availability of 7mm08 rifles new or second hand, I have a slot for a 308 and thought about getting one s/h for little money and rebarreling, based on your estimates this isnt going to be a cheap alternative. I know sako 75 got a browning x bolt in 7mm08 special order for 750 so may go down that route (already have a x bolt stainless stalker in .223rem) as they are a good value for money rifle.
    Sinbad, I do not know if you reload, but it will make life much easier for you if you do go down the 7-08 route, ammunition is not that freely available. If you moderate it the .308 will be a pussycat to shoot and ammunition is freely available. The deer will not notice the differance

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I'd have to agree with Flytie on that plus you'll be spoilt for choice with .308,if you're looking for a bit more umph then 30.06 but less choice again.
    Neil.

Ahhh sinbad,

I just happened to be in Mr Kershaws when he was quoting to re-barrel a Sako with a rusted out chamber plus I got quotes for fitting the barrel to my BSA Monarch project. One place quoted 600-700 just to fit, chamber submit to proof and blue the barrel and that was after I brought a brand new in the white BSA barrel already threaded.

The only way to get a cheap donor is by being very lucky of going to the auctions. I picked up my BSA .270 Monarch for 25 several years ago. Ask around the dealers you know for a .243, 7x57, .308 with a badly worn barrel cheaply and don't be surprised if you find one for 100 or less.