Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifications and Experience to Mentor?

Qualifications and Experience to Mentor?

I am hoping that someone can help me out on this one please. I have just had a letter back from my Firearms Office about my variation for a .243. Theyt are saying that the chap that was willing to mentor me (Quote) does not have the necessary experience! (End Quote) He has a full Open FAC with a .243 that is conditioned for Deer and he has his DSC1, exactly what more do they want?
    I am led to believe that this "Mentoring" thing is not a "Legal Requirememt" and as such there are no guidelines for "Mentoring" in the HO Guidelines (Maybe someone could correct me on this if need be) Even so if there are any "guidelines" or "Rules" could someone please tell me exactly what qualifications or experience someone would need to have to be a "Mentor" as, if the police are going to insist on this then the onus rests on the montor if anything should go wrong.

I would address this question to the SACS but I do not think that they will be available till after the New Year!

No legal basis for this, excepting that the Chief Constable can enter anything they like as a "condition2 on your ticket, and as such you cannot appeal against it, but if you have the will to ask for them to give you written refusal if you don't want this "condition" you can appeal the refusal to issue, there is a lot of discussion on this & similar under thishttps://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?6870-A-tale-of-two-FAC-applications Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If I were you I would ask them to clarify what exactly they expect a mentor to have, where it is written and copies of such proof and how many others have had this specific condition imposed on them. For after all, if your fire Arms Dept has been told this , then they must have some guidelines, if not how would it be policed?

Also if what they recommend has a cost implication for you then they cant impose that...Then write to The Chief Constable informing him of that.
    Last edited by chickenman; 29-12-2010 at 15:21.

Funny that! I had exactly this conversation with donk (aka 'big steve') after a feo visit 2 days ago. The feo was talking about it because D&G are thinking about bringing it in. For an experieced person it seems like they must be a level 2, aw or employed stalker type. Level 1 won't cut it for the reasons given.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I am hoping that someone can help me out on this one please. I have just had a letter back from my Firearms Office about my variation for a .243. Theyt are saying that the chap that was willing to mentor me (Quote) does not have the necessary experience! (End Quote) He has a full Open FAC with a .243 that is conditioned for Deer and he has his DSC1, exactly what more do they want?
    I am led to believe that this "Mentoring" thing is not a "Legal Requirememt" and as such there are no guidelines for "Mentoring" in the HO Guidelines (Maybe someone could correct me on this if need be) Even so if there are any "guidelines" or "Rules" could someone please tell me exactly what qualifications or experience someone would need to have to be a "Mentor" as, if the police are going to insist on this then the onus rests on the montor if anything should go wrong.

I would address this question to the SACS but I do not think that they will be available till after the New Year!
    Mate, it sounds like your local Firearms Office have seriously got something against you owning that calibre!!!! Sounds like they're doing EVERYTHING they can to stop you obtaining a more powerful firearm than you currently hold authority for. Thank god I don't have similar issues here, it would drive me away from the sport!!!

oh wait...just noticed your screen-name..are you French..if so, that's the problem

Ask for clarifiaction as metined and pass it on to SACS legal to deal with and take it to court what if some one wants to get into our chosen sport and dont know any one else .(i didnt when i started).
    Stop being so soft and get it straight back at them. wish you well mate. PS iAN HAS SORTED JUST THESE TYPES OF PROBLEMS MANY TIMES WILL BE NICE TO HERE IF HE SORTS ONE FOR THE english
    Last edited by 6pointer; 29-12-2010 at 17:19.

If I werE you, I would ask them to clarify where they got their guidlines from, cos they certainly didn't get it from H.O.!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Maybe it is the fact your mentor does not have the required experience. I have an open ticket. I have level one. When I passed level one I had not picked up a rifle for 27 years. OK I was a keeper, soldier, pro stalker before that. Obviously they know things about your mate maybe you don't know. The statement is about your mate, not you. The thing is you have no comeback. Your mate would have to be the one to challenge.
    Jim

frenchieboy... you already have the letter saying that your proposed mentor hasn't the neccessary experience, so either reply (in writing) asking what experience is required if you are happy to go down that route, or tell your FEO that you don't accept that the mentoring condition is lawful and to provide you with a written refusal.
    Don't worry about 'rocking the boat' because it sounds like you've probably done that already
    If you dig your heels in, you'll get what you want eventually... and you won't have to spend the next 12mths trying to get the mentoring lifted.

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox