Would you have taken the shot?

Well to me it looked like a very clean and perfectly placed shot . I certanly would of taken it .

Wheres the best place for a head or neck shot on deer? | Shooting tips, gun dog training and field sports queries | Shooting UK | Shooting UK

Interesting article. Seems everywhere I turn, the published opinion is that head/neck shots are unnecessarily risky, yet, stalkers seem quite happy to engage in the practice.

I wish we could have a few pictures of deer heads and necks, where members could put a cross where 'they' think the right bullet placement should be, and based on a variety of neck positions, where they think the vertebrae is located...might make for controversial discussion..if only I was gifted enough with a computer:rolleyes:

Interesting article. Seems everywhere I turn, the published opinion is that head/neck shots are unnecessarily risky, yet, stalkers seem quite happy to engage in the practice.

That is an interesting point. If you use the search facility you will find the head/neck shooting is one of the all time favourite contentious issues. I dont think you will find that it is something that most on here would be quite 'happy to engage in'. Have been surprised that it hasnt been raised on this thread. Am not sure I would have taken the shot.

Last edited:
If you take the buck from this footage, the only visible parts when the shot was taken was the top half of the neck and the head (give or take). Fortunately this buck was facing the camera/stalker, but had it been standing broadside (which would have been almost impossible to tell in that grass), then due to the twist in the neck, the spinal column could in fact not have been going straight downwards, and a shot under the chin could have been a miss, with the deer bleeding heavily from a throat injury...just a thought...

I would have taken the shot but would have emphasised that the bullet would strike high at such short distances. Never a medal in my book but a lovely buck none the less.

Looked a young buck and not a cull buck per say, but it looked like agricultural land and if it has to go it has to go.

I think you will find the chat about it making beter than a bronze was abit tounge in cheek and might have got the stalking guide a nice wee bonus but the fact that most of us would take a neck shot at that distance speaks volumes. In the right cercumstances a kneck shot is acceptable but not the prefared shot buy most that is the engine room.

Last edited:
No problem with the shot, or shot placement in my view.

Would I have taken the animal - probably not, it looked to be decent and worth keeping.

Yes to the shot, no to the animal.

Hope thats clear:lol:

Redmist that was a client who had no doubt travelled a very long way to sample a fife Roe buck no one could have said to him dont take the shot.;)

Nothing wrong with any of it, right up until you hear that bolt racked, & it 's still closed up while handling the beast, maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't hear the rifle being cleared from the follow up condition.

Redmist that was a client who had no doubt travelled a very long way to sample a fife
Roe buck no one could have said to him dont take the shot.;)

On my ground it's my rules! Shoot what I say or go home and don't come back!

I wouldn't have a problem with a client taking that shot.

I would have taken the shot but would have emphasised that the bullet would strike high at such short distances. Never a medal in my book but a lovely buck none the less.

Looked a young buck and not a cull buck per say, but it looked like agricultural land and if it has to go it has to go.

The bullet will always strike low at close range not high

Haven't got sound on my computer at present, but the shot looked too low to me?:confused:
It looked like a very low neck shot where the round may well have gone the length of the spine and ruined most of the carcass.
I would have taken the shot, but hard to tell where without seeing what foliage was in the way. The animal had seen them and was unlikely to move for a while. Under the chin would be one option, but I'd have probably gone between the eyes. I don't do trophies!;)
As said, the bullet would go low at that range too.
The barrel (and bullet) are below the line of sight (scope) and will not come up to meet until the first point of zero which for most of us is 70-100m.
Either way - a humane cull, job done.
MS:)

The bullet will always strike low at close range not high

And that is the point of concern for me. I dont practice at that range but I know the round will strike low. I would not have wanted to strike the face for fear of a glancing blow and therefore would be cautious and aim low with the possibility of hitting the chest. In the circumstances I may have waited for it to turn.

Last edited:
Nice buck and yes I would have taken the shot but on the assumption that this is a paying client I wonder about what in total he got for his cash. His guide has obviously taken him to a place where deer have been previously seen, the client noticed the buck in the long grass so there was no excitement/challenge of stalking into the beast and then a 20 metre shot. All over. Would not be the best story to tell the rellys back home.

DeerMan you come from essex were the ladys dont ware pants i think there called ankle warmers so really you dont have a say in this :rofl:
Gazza you can tell them you shot a medal might even make a silver lmfao.

Amazes me how some people can discuss ethics of a shot when they don't even know where the point of impact is going to be at closer ranges than they have zeroed at ...basic stuff

Looked a low neck shot to the right not centre,I suspect alot of internal damage.I dont think the stalker took into consideration the bullet striking lower at such close range.

DeerMan you come from essex were the ladys dont ware pants i think there called ankle warmers so really you dont have a say in this :rofl:
Gazza you can tell them you shot a medal might even make a silver lmfao.

6 Pointer, I don't come from Essex, I only live there! You may be right about the locals but I wouldn't have hesitated in putting the reticule on the chin after all it wasn't a malform so Therfore dog food!

Last edited:
The rifle would aim high (due to the scope being mounted above the barrel) and the strike would be low.

Mixed up somewhere I think. You can see the strike was low but not unreasonably low in the video (i think) but no issues with the shot a 20m surely you could not miss that.

Back