Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chambering advice?

Chambering advice?

I'm after some advice regarding chambering home loads? I reload for my Steyr Pro Hunter .223. This weapon is in new condition.
    I'm having difficulties with some rounds chambering incorrectly, could this be C.O.A.L?
    The bolt slides forward and picks up the round with no issues at all, as some of the rounds enter the chamber, some get jammed! I have inspected the bolt, chamber and magazine and there seems to be no damage. I have followed my reloading manuals to the letter and when looking at the data, i can only guess that the cartridge overall length could be the fault.

The bullet heads i'm using are Speer soft points, 55 grain, c.o.a.l 2.175", case trim length 1.750"

The other bullet head i'm using is the Hornady V max 50 grain, c.o.a.l 2.200", case trim length 1.750"

The cocking action of the weapon is controlled and smooth each time as i did question if it was my individual actions causing the jams.

Please advise if you have seen this issue before?

Regards

Carl.

Sounds like you have some incorrectly trimmed cases, and / or badly sized cases, maybe you have missed the odd one during your case prep? as to your bullets, if the rounds were over long & bullets not seated correctly, they would remain in the throat when you unloaded the unfired rounds, you do not specify if these cases are new unfired, once fired (in your rifle) or neck sized / full length sized etc?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi

Id agree with finnbear270 go through your reloading process again and check your cases ! i had a similar problem with my 375 H+H magnum the cases developed a bulge in front of the belt making them hard to chamber not that this will be your problem but i would still check your cases maybe you didn't resize a couple properly !

Check the loaded rounds carefully especially at the shoulder where it joins the side of the case. If you have the seating dies turned down too much it can crush te case causing the shoulder to splay out at this junture and so increase it's diameter which will stop it chambering.

When I first started out reloading this happened a couple of times until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Chambering advice

The cases were full neck sized. The cases are first and second time fired. I know all my sizings are correct as i pay particular attention every time. I think it has more to do with the bullet as it leaves the magazine and angles incorrectly towards the mouth of the chamber. Is it possible that its nothing to do with my cases at all? I don't use a bullet seater as i just go with the cartridge overall length, how much would a bullet seater help?
    Every round that correctly enters the throat chambers and extracts each time with no errors. Its just the movement towards the mouth.

From my pickled state at present, I think you are referring to the cartridge showing difficulties climbing the ramp out of the magazine? (mouth)??? , if I have this wrong, maybe you mean that the (mouth) you refer to is the throat of the chamber or lead??? Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

chambering??

Its just the movement towards the mouth.
    , a little more detail would probably resolve this,
    The cases were full neck sized.

Hi

In your first post your using two different c o a l do you have the same problem with each ? if it's only a problem with one then use the other c o a l for when your reloading failing that back them off slightly ! when i reload my c o a l remains the same no matter what bullet i use but thats just my oppinion if it loads factory ammo then its deffinately something your doing wrong and its not a fault of the gun ! Make up a blank round no primer or powder and try different c o a l lengths

Assuming all is well with your cases and they are not entering the chamber properly at the ramp i would say its your mag the plate may be sticking could be a bit of swarf or something internally ,strip it give a good clean and light oiling on the internals see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Hi

In your first post your using two different c o a l do you have the same problem with each ? if it's only a problem with one then use the other c o a l for when your reloading failing that back them off slightly ! when i reload my c o a l remains the same no matter what bullet i use but thats just my oppinion if it loads factory ammo then its deffinately something your doing wrong and its not a fault of the gun ! Make up a blank round no primer or powder and try different c o a l lengths
    I will try some coal tests using some with some dummy rounds. As the max coal for the 223 Remmington is 2.260", can i use any think under that? The "tested coal" for the Speer soft point round i'm using states 2.175", but like you said its what you decide. Can you explain a little more with regards to coal?

Regards

Carl.