Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antidepressants and FAC.

Antidepressants and FAC.

A friend of mine wants to get into stalking and hunting, and then hopefully go on to get an FAC and some rifles. He's informed me he has however been on antidepressants in the past for a complusive disorder and anxiety. He still has as much chane as anyone?

I think you may find it's up to the relevant FLM discretion as and when the time comes
    but it will be upto your mate to proove beyond doubt he is suitable to fit the bill and wether your FLD do the appropiate doctor checks
    I don't see to much worry as time and responsibility is a good healer
    good for your mate for trying to find something to help get his life back on track

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    A friend of mine wants to get into stalking and hunting, and then hopefully go on to get an FAC and some rifles. He's informed me he has however been on antidepressants in the past for a complusive disorder and anxiety. He still has as much chane as anyone?
    He should not have a problem. The police are far happier that someone has faced up to a problem and sort help than sat tight and got worse. If his doctor says he is a fit person who has responded well to the drug then there will be little or no problem

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    He should not have a problem. The police are far happier that someone has faced up to a problem and sort help than sat tight and got worse. If his doctor says he is a fit person who has responded well to the drug then there will be little or no problem

Mark
    That makes sense. He's not suffering with actual depression, not has he ever done, but they treat all obsessive disorders with antidepressants nowadays.

well yes you see your mate is on the way to recovery by just admitting it and getting sorted. I must say there are some out there who we would all rather did not hold any tickets and I doubt if they are as honest. Your mate should go for it.

Mark

Joshua,

"A friend of mine wants to get into stalking and hunting,"

Then he should through paid stalking and invitations with the "estate rifle" exemption. Build up experience and then when he has opportunity to shoot over his own ground then his "good reason" will be judged and balanced against his medical situation at the time.

You do not need to own a set of golf clubs to play golf....

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post

He should go to his GP and ask him, if and when the Police ask the GP, if he is a suitable person due to his past medical condition, this can and may just save face to all , if the details are common knowledge to all parties concerned .

Compulsive disorders can remain problems hidden or masked by drugs , I had very good friend of mine had the same problem , drugs masked the problem which no one seen ,he came home from his work squared away everything and hung himself, the Doctors monitored him extremely well .

You just never know what's going on inside peoples heads .

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    No, but if you were serious about it you'd want your own set so that you could get used to them and spend a good deal of time with them on the driving-range, so that when you actually come to play against someone you're able to give a good account of yourself.

The thing here I think is not the antidepressants or the diagnosis, but a proper assessment of the risk associated with both in this chap's case. This would, I'd have thought, be a matter for the FLO to look into, guided by the applicant's declarations of his condition/s and treatment on the application form.

Widow's son is right, of course: you never know what's going on inside people's heads. That applies to everyone, though; not just people with past psych history.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Joshua,

Stan
    Actually Stan, yes you do... most golf clubs will not let you play without your own and only 'munies, holiday camps and crazy golf courses tend to hire clubs out!

The analogy, is though quite apt... I play golf and it takes lots of practice to get good with specific clubs, borrow a set or buy a new set and you are looking at another 3 months practice to get back up to the standard you were with the last ones!

When I go to the range with my stalking buddies it is amazing how different our target sheets are over 100m using the same rifle (i.e. if we have a play with each others! oo er missus) often, whilst the groupings are fine, the difference in strike point from one person to the next would be enough to create a poor shoot and a potentially injured animal using the same poa.

A rifle is, to my mind a precision instrument which requires familiarity and practice to be safe and get the most out of, it is not a lump hammer that can be brought down anywhere to produce the required effect. Estate rifles are great to use to ensure you are going to carry on with an interest in stalking or where you may only indulge every few years as I do with skiing... buying my own skis would be pointless..