Thread: Cooked Bones

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Cooked Bones

I got a "Fit for Dog" doe yesterday, very skinny no fat on any of the organs and was about the same size as my 9 month old puppy.

My dog gets the legs uncooked, but I'm wondering if the thigh bones will be ok once cooked? I am cooking the haunches (Fot the little meat that is on them) now for the dog but will the bones be to brittle once cooked?

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Would not feed any cooked bones to dogs. Out of curiosity why feed the lower legs uncooked but cook the haunches? Why not feed it all raw.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Would not feed any cooked bones to dogs. Out of curiosity why feed the lower legs uncooked but cook the haunches? Why not feed it all raw.
    Don't want the dog to get to dependant on raw meat, I also don't think that raw meat in any large quantity is good for a dog. For all the meat on the lower legs, he gets loads of enjoyment and it passes his time stripping the fur.

I'll strip the bones and feed the meat with his normal dried food.

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

No cooked bones take chunks of meat off and give bones raw why risk it.

Never give a dog cooked bones, find another use for them. Is the mother in law still there?

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Tunnel bone the haunches and leave the aitch bone on with a bit of meat and let the dog have that.
    No cooked bones for mine
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

As already said, don't give cooked bones. A mate's dog once needed surgery due to a shattered bone that had been cooked.

My 2 Chesapeakes get practically all of the bones from the carcasses without any problems - no probs to them but huge grey *****s for me to pick up

I now give my dogs the uncooked leg below the knee, hoof and all. Tried it for the first time last year to see if it might help keep their teeth clean, and, by golly, it works incredibly well, cracking off even the thickest tartar. Some 18 months ago we faced a substantial vet bill for anaesthesia and a teeth clean. The leg regime means such surprises will be a thing of the past. The bonus for me is that the dogs adore them, hanging around in anticipation of the treat whenever I return home smelling interesting. Must stress that they are never left unattended with a leg bone. Usually administered while I cook our supper, and swapped for a couple of Markies when fully gnawed.
    KevinF -

I recently started throwing the whle stripped carcass it the kennels, spine rib cage the works, dogs love it, like someone said solid white dumps for a day or 2. I leave any feet in there to.

I also chuck in cast fallow antlers when i can get them(can't get enough) cut a big 1 into a few pieces (so plenty to go round saves them fighting) and let the dogs chew on it. it amazes me how they get throu it even the big palmated bits chewed till nowt left