Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking in fog

Stalking in fog

What are your guys views on stalking in fog?

hi russ a big nono as far as im concerned visibilty right down and you dont know what kind of backstop or if there is anybody /or animal wandering behind what you can see
    happy new year to everyone
    atb tom

Unsafe is how I view it.

I was out in it this morning
    It was not that bad when I started out and had reasonable visibility of several hundred + yards but it soon came in and visibilty got less
    lucky for me I know the ground well and knew where I was walking and which direction
    as for shooting deer in it , the fog makes it harder to be sure of your backstop thats for sure
    But Personally I would not set out to stalk in thick fog anyway, as it is often a complete waste of time

Wouldn't do it. There is a legal angle for the police to show that you are unfit to hold firearms because you have shown intent to use them when it is unsafe to do so. That is if you were actually using them ofcourse and not just caught out on the hill say.

Fog is a no no but i still go out normally were i live it will lift an hour or so just after first light and the deer will be out in it if the cops want to chalange me on that one paul so be it. But there is also a differnt problem and that is deer can see alot beter than us in fog and because they use others sences unless you know were to go were to wait then it is not worth the effort and i would never take a guest out in fog.

Somtimes its not to bad and a deer can be shot in light fog

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Wouldn't do it. There is a legal angle for the police to show that you are unfit to hold firearms because you have shown intent to use them when it is unsafe to do so. That is if you were actually using them ofcourse and not just caught out on the hill say.
    That is an interesting angle to think about

I hav often set out in the fog/mist to some of my favourite haunts/highseats and waited for it to clear ~ as I did this morning
    Now I do not call that unsafe but still set off in conditions which would been classed as with a firearms with intent
    when it did not clear, but got heavier
    I packed up and came home for breakfast

Fog, or in our case here, more usually mists rising from large areas of water, instantly curtail foxing / vermin control, as does the recent snow flurries.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

nah, no finger pointing from me. It's just there was a case a bit back were a shooter lost his ticket for many months because he shot a beast in fog beside a road at darkening that was iffy poaching beside his ground for fallow. It wasn't the iffy poaching bit that got him, it was the reckless discharge in fog. It didn't help that he admitted shooting in fog with very poor visibility.

I know that mist and fog lifts in the morning and blows in in some areas with no warning. I was just offering food for thought that all. cuddle?

That's a judgement call really, you can also ask 'when is it too dark to shoot', same thing. You/We are the judge(s) of when the visibility is good enough, and that's part of responsible shooting etiquette.