Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing different brands of brass

Mixing different brands of brass

Evening all
    I have a really quick question. Can one use different brands of brass all loaded the same and still get consistent groups. I am loading .308 and have lots of shells made by different manufacturers and want to mix them up but use the same loads. any help would be awesome. I used to load a lot of pistol stuff in this way and never had any hassles, but I am new to this rifle loading thing so don't want to waste.

Kindly
    Donovan
    Donovan

FEAR NOT THAT WHICH YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER

You can mix it if you wish but as different brass does not always have the same internal capacity group size could be affected so why add another variable to the proceedings.
    Neck tension may also be different.

HWH.

my R93's dont seem fussy, any old brass, full length sized, always shoots a good group.

I bought a bag of 100 pieces of brass and used the load I always used in the brand of brass named on the bag. One round made one hell of a bang and split. Closer inspection revealed two brands of brass had been mixed in the bag prior to my purchasing it. I would recommend working up loads in each brand of brass you own checking for pressure as you go.
    The internal volume of brands of brass can vary considerably, therefore the pressure generated will vary with a fixed volume of powder and so will the velocity of the round. At best the mixed rounds will not be consistant, at worst you may get a nasty surprise. Proceed with care.

The thickness of the brass can have some effect but at normal stalking ranges wont make that much differnce i have found but i do now use the same brass Lapua and i like to know that every thing is uniform that way if i cock up i know its me.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    The thickness of the brass can have some effect but at normal stalking ranges wont make that much differnce.
    Ouch,
    Got to disagree with you there. Once helped another shooter zero his gun in, who was having probs. It wouldn't group consistently .
    After checking the obvious screws, rings, bedding bolts etc, the only possible fault we could find was that he was using both Lapua and Winchester brass (same load but different brass). Once separated it was clear that the point of impact shifted by approx 2 inches at 100yds. That's unnaceptable in my book!

Choose one quality brand of brass and stick with it. I'd recommend Lapua or Federal.

Brass volume varies from case-to-case (within-manufacturer variance). Brass volume varies between brands (between-manufacturer variance). Between-manufacturer variance is greater than within-manufacturer variance. The 'significance' of the variability the between-manufacturer variance introduces to the precision of your rifle/cartridge system can only be determined by you.

Different shooters have different needs and standards. For the competitive shooter, precision is maximized no matter the cost. For stalkers, there is considerable difference in the 'standards' different stalkers consider "sufficient".

Regards,
    Paul

Mixed brass is generally considered bad form. The biggest problem with mixed brass, especially for load development, is the aforementioned lack of consistency. Case volumes can vary a huge amount between manufacturers, and brass quality and condition (annealing, etc) can vary as well. All will effect accuracy and safety.

I have a friend who fancies himself a shooter and recently he bought a top-of-the-line Savage heavy barrel .223 to reload for. He was a bit miffed that his handloads were outshot by some PMC factory ammo. He blamed the rifle. I looked at his handloads: mixed bits of range pick-up that gave him 2" groups at 100M. Garbage in, garbage out.~Muir

as already said, consistancy is key to accurate, consistant reloaded ammo

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Evening all
    I have a really quick question. Can one use different brands of brass all loaded the same and still get consistent groups. I am loading .308 and have lots of shells made by different manufacturers and want to mix them up but use the same loads. any help would be awesome. I used to load a lot of pistol stuff in this way and never had any hassles, but I am new to this rifle loading thing so don't want to waste.

Kindly
    Donovan
    It will depend on the ranges you shoot over.

At 100yds I am sure it will make only a small difference and I am sure you will maintain sub 1" groups. At 300yds the case differences will really start to show via group sizes.

For best results with accuracy you need good quality reloading equipment, good quality components and more than anything you will need consistency with everything.