View Poll Results: Would you use .22cf for Roe in ENGLAND if the law allowed?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 68.97%
  • No

9 31.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22cf for Roe. Would you use one if the law was changed?

.22cf for Roe. Would you use one if the law was changed?

Guys , some good food for thought in previous thread. Curious to see how many would use .22cf for Roe in addition to other small species in England if allowed.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I have shot in both locations as have most on here. When I lived in England, I shot 99% of the time with my .243 regardless of species. Now living in Scotland I now have a 22-250 and am more than happy with using it in Scotland for Roe. Unless you have some mutent breed down there, a .22CF will be as good as the .22CF's in use in Scotland for Roe.

As has been stated in many other threads regardless of species shot, shot placement is the key. A Roe shot badly with a .308 will run as will a badly Roe shot with a .22CF

Bullet choice would also be a factor to consider.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I have shot many Roe with a .222, not in England I might add before the obvious is pointed out to me, using a 55gr soft point bullet.
    When I arrived back in the UK it went in the cupboard for most of it's life in anticipation of the day England woke up to it's potential.
    Now it is just a Fox or Munty rifle as I don't fancy the long haul drive to Scotland, also known to me as 'Sensible Land' just to be able to bring back fond memories, such a shame really.

Account Suspended
    I do and will continue to do so. Very effective. Seems silly that we dont have a one size fits all legislation on these things considering you could potentially be a criminal by shooting across a border which you can walk across.

I live in Norway, 22CF are legal for Roe over here and have been for a long time. As others have stated I believe the key issue is shot placement, probably more so with 222 and 223 over 22-250 and 220 Swift. The reports I have read (I have not shot Roe with my 222) are either very positive or negative due to the fact that the beast doesn't usually drop to the shot unless shot in the shoulder or headshot, and that follow ups can be difficult due to lack of blood for tracking. I have 6,5x55 or 308 for deer, my 222 is a fox/bird rifle for me.

I would may consider it as for only the reason of the rifle could be alot lighter and not much carcase damage (222 , 223) with these calibers. I have a few irish friends who used the 5.6x57 and they have told me that they mainly did neck shots.

regards
    chris

I cannot understand why the law in England is not the same as the more sensible Scottish (and others) law about .22cf rifles.

Simon.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    I live in Norway, 22CF are legal for Roe over here and have been for a long time. As others have stated I believe the key issue is shot placement, probably more so with 222 and 223 over 22-250 and 220 Swift. The reports I have read (I have not shot Roe with my 222) are either very positive or negative due to the fact that the beast doesn't usually drop to the shot unless shot in the shoulder or headshot, and that follow ups can be difficult due to lack of blood for tracking. I have 6,5x55 or 308 for deer, my 222 is a fox/bird rifle for me.
    I cant agree with the statement about deer not dropping, shot and seen shot a lot of roe with boilerhouse shots and they went done like the proverbial bag of !!!!.

I would use my 222 for roe without hesitation providing I was shooting high neck or head because of the accuracy and the comfort. That said I would not ,out of choice heart and lung Roe with it. I Have shot way over 100 foxes each year for over twenty years now and I do prefer the head shot as I have had them get away with a body shot as I am sure we all have,and roe in some what bigger. Dont have the same problem with the 243 though.

Mark

I too would not hesitate in using my .222 for Roe where legal to do so, though I would careful in my selection of bullets. Any perceived defeciencies in .222 are often due to the use of varmint type bullets.