Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lead on boar?

lead on boar?

I was just wondering if you have to adjust your lead on shooting boar with the bigger slower calibres such as 9.3 x62, 9.3 x 74, as opposed to the .308. At the moment i shoot a .308 at 2600fps and am thinking of going up to a 9.3 and didnt know whether i would just shoot the same or have to give more lead. From what i have learnt the 9.3 is about 2300 fps. Any ideas???

Physics says yes. Probably not enough to matter at woodland ranges.~Muir

I think this is where practise on moving targets is beneficial before shooting for real. A couple of sessions on a moving target range should make you more familiar with your rifle or slug gun before encountering real running game. Driven game is normally shot at relatively short range where more instinctive shooting is required. Most countries that shoot driven game normally have a large number of moving target ranges, something that is sadly lacking in this country. In fact I personally only know of three such ranges but another is supposedly under construction in Somerset, though so far this has been on the cards for a number of years now.
    In France nearly all gunsmiths appear to access to moving target ranges inaddition to fixed target zeroing ranges and I believe the same applies in Germany and much of Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I think this is where practise on moving targets is beneficial before shooting for real. A couple of sessions on a moving target range should make you more familiar with your rifle or slug gun before encountering real running game. Driven game is normally shot at relatively short range where more instinctive shooting is required. Most countries that shoot driven game normally have a large number of moving target ranges, something that is sadly lacking in this country. In fact I personally only know of three such ranges but another is supposedly under construction in Somerset, though so far this has been on the cards for a number of years now.
    In France nearly all gunsmiths appear to access to moving target ranges inaddition to fixed target zeroing ranges and I believe the same applies in Germany and much of Scandinavia.
    How about organising a group of like minded to fly by ryan/etc air to Germany for practising. There is for instance a top indoor range located 45 mins north of Munich airport and you can rent a rifle and buy ammo there costs for the range are 125 euros per hour 150 on weekends which is good for 5 shooters per hour to practise their skills and understand the difficulties of hitting in the body area.
    I have no connection to them other than having been there to organise it for my hunting group to use.
    Martin

Martin it sounds like a lovely idea but flying all the way to Munich for a couple of hours on the range is probably a bit over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Martin it sounds like a lovely idea but flying all the way to Munich for a couple of hours on the range is probably a bit over the top.
    The nightlife should make it worthwhile

If West Mercia personnel would cease & desist from shooting up the carriage, instead of the Boar plate.....................!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    The nightlife should make it worthwhile
    I think that would be the problem, my wife would be afraid to let me go for fear of me being led astray by some of you more experienced hands Eddie.

Giving it a bit more thought though - If I recall correctly Bandit Country suggested that we try and hire the running deer range at The British Sporting Rifle Club (Bisley) for a get together some time? Now if that were possible sometime in the coming year, I am sure that there would be a fair bit of interest from those members of the site that are based in the southern part of the country.

Or those of us fortunate enough at the time arranged, willing & able to travel Mike!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If West Mercia personnel would cease & desist from shooting up the carriage, instead of the Boar plate.....................!
    Have I missed something here Steve? Would you be by any chance be commenting on something that happened at Minsterley perhaps, pray tell.