Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New addition to the cabinet

New addition to the cabinet

Tikka 595 in 30.06. Nice rifle shame about the cammo paint finish. Any sugestions? I thought nitromors and wire wool might shift it. Either that or just spray over in something less "military" looking, pink is nice.

Has anyone ever tried getting this kind of finish off before? I think it was done by Hydracoat, sorry if you are viewing this, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Mark

Ouch, the rifle would have to have been a real bargain to make me want it.

Criminal to treat such a fine rifle like that. No matter what you use, the barrel and action will require re-blueing/refinishing...............alot of hours sanding and oiling that stock too. Would all that labour and re-finishing costs be worth it?

Have the lot Duracoated and use it as a 'knock about' gun?

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Ouch, the rifle would have to have been a real bargain to make me want it.

Criminal to treat such a fine rifle like that. No matter what you use, the barrel and action will require re-blueing/refinishing...............alot of hours sanding and oiling that stock too. Would all that labour and re-finishing costs be worth it?

Have the lot Duracoated and use it as a 'knock about' gun?
    It was brought for a tad over 300.00 so I feel it was cheap enough. It's purpose in life will be to get abused as a mountain rifle in Italy. The most it can expect is a coat of matt black paint on the metal parts and some oil on the wood. I don't plan to spend a penny more on it than I have already. It seems we feel the same way about the choice of finish.

Yucky! ,i hope you can sort it, you could sand the stock back if you had to i guess,best of luck.
    Neil.

Not good !

I could put up with the stock but not the rest and to put that finish on i believe they have to sand down the barrel and action to get it to stick so id leave it if its just for rough work !

Mark I prefer the more traditional look myself but at that price I would be perfectly happy to live with it. Incidentally the model would be a 695 (long action) and not a 595 (short action). The model should be engraved on the action but perhaps the coating has covered it up? They are cracking rifles I have a 595 myself and can't ever see me parting with it, though I might at some time replace the factory synthetic stock with one of another make.

You probably won't need a sock or a slip to cross the road with it!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'd be more worried about the bolt being on the wrong side
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

My fear is that I might put it down in the forest then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O H SH*T. Anyone got a metal detector?

It's nearly as good as mine

The wife had some paint left over from when she was painting the garden gnomes so I felt 'Artistic' and got stuck in.