New addition to the cabinet

buckup

DSCF6056.jpg

Tikka 595 in 30.06. Nice rifle shame about the cammo paint finish. Any sugestions? I thought nitromors and wire wool might shift it. Either that or just spray over in something less "military" looking, pink is nice.;)

Has anyone ever tried getting this kind of finish off before? I think it was done by Hydracoat, sorry if you are viewing this, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Mark

Ouch, the rifle would have to have been a real bargain to make me want it.

Criminal to treat such a fine rifle like that. No matter what you use, the barrel and action will require re-blueing/refinishing...............alot of hours sanding and oiling that stock too. Would all that labour and re-finishing costs be worth it?

Have the lot Duracoated and use it as a 'knock about' gun?

Ouch, the rifle would have to have been a real bargain to make me want it.

Criminal to treat such a fine rifle like that. No matter what you use, the barrel and action will require re-blueing/refinishing...............alot of hours sanding and oiling that stock too. Would all that labour and re-finishing costs be worth it?

Have the lot Duracoated and use it as a 'knock about' gun?
It was brought for a tad over £300.00 so I feel it was cheap enough. It's purpose in life will be to get abused as a mountain rifle in Italy. The most it can expect is a coat of matt black paint on the metal parts and some oil on the wood. I don't plan to spend a penny more on it than I have already. It seems we feel the same way about the choice of finish.:rolleyes:

Yucky! ,i hope you can sort it, you could sand the stock back if you had to i guess,best of luck.
Neil.

Not good !

I could put up with the stock but not the rest and to put that finish on i believe they have to sand down the barrel and action to get it to stick so id leave it if its just for rough work !

Mark I prefer the more traditional look myself but at that price I would be perfectly happy to live with it. Incidentally the model would be a 695 (long action) and not a 595 (short action). The model should be engraved on the action but perhaps the coating has covered it up? They are cracking rifles I have a 595 myself and can't ever see me parting with it, though I might at some time replace the factory synthetic stock with one of another make.

My fear is that I might put it down in the forest then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OH SH*T. Anyone got a metal detector?:lol:

It's nearly as good as mine :D
CamouflageStock001-2.jpg

CamouflageStock003-1.jpg

The wife had some paint left over from when she was painting the garden gnomes so I felt 'Artistic' and got stuck in.:D

The wife had some paint left over from when she was painting the garden gnomes so I felt 'Artistic' and got stuck in.:D

You're a bad, bad man ! ;)

Personally i couldn't use it in its current state. I would have to scrub the barrel and action, re-blue if possible or at least parkerise it. I suppose it makes a good winter project.

I used to wildfowl alot in Essex and a guy bought a pump covered in that realtree marsh covering - yup he did pup it down and then spent ages in a panic searching for it. It ended up with a bright band of red electricians tape across the stock - ha, ha.

Reminds me of another post regarding taping the muzzle in inclement weather.
I always advocate using yellow electricians tape :) it not only looks pretty :) It makes it easier to find if you lay the rifle on the ground :D
Gosh, I am not feeling my age today :lol::lol::lol:

if you can't live with it sell for what you paid for it :D for Gods sake leave the black paint in the tin! theres plenty of wood and blue, stainless and synthetic rifles out there, just have the balls to be different! oh and a nice blaze orange scope would finish it off nicely :p:p:p

I had a stock stripped recently at my local furniture stripping place . It cost £25 and then I oil finished it. Problem is here though stripping and reblueing the action etc.

Use nitromors stripper to get the paint off. On the metal work use plastic scrapers etc so as not to scratch the metal work. Then try Tetra Blue on the metal work. I bought an old AyA magnum side by side that had vertually no bluing on the barrels. Gunsmith when he bent the stock tried out some tetra blue on the barrels - two coats and they now have nice deep blue luster.

Mark if you feel you can't possibly live with the present finish I wouldn't have thought that stripping the stock and re-finishing that would be too difficult a task, but I would suggest that consulting hydro-graphics or Jaeger Sporting Arms or whoever did the original paint job would probably be the best course of action. I've never seen a very satisfactory finish achieved with cold blue so would avoid that myself, says the man who painted a rifle with hammerite.

The rifle, while not my cup of tea in its present form, will never owe you a penny! And if it is accurate, and no doubt being a Tikka it will be, why care? The deer will not bother about it, and if you shoot nice and early in the morning who will be about to see it? As you have introduced it into public, and acknowledged it to be yours, where is the shame?

Simon

Before and after.

DSCF6056.jpg

DSCF6065.jpg

Furniture.

Strip with left over from another job nitromors. Spray in chequering where removal of old paint was impossible. Stain wood to match chequering colour then finish with dark wood wax.

Metalwork.

Rub back with wire wool, wash with meths. Spray with self etch black paint. Buff with black boot polish.

Total cost, about seven quid + lot's of hours and elbow grease.

Improvement in pleasure of ownership, priceless.

Mark.:D

Total cost, about seven quid + lot's of hours and elbow grease.

Improvement in pleasure of ownership, priceless.

Ahhhh that's sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better and it's very pleasing to the eyes :D.

Well done that man :thumb:!

Back