Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: same load two different gun

same load two different gun

hello lads
    i just changed a tikka t3 243 till a rem lvsf in 243 i have cronoed the same load in each rifle and the remy is 100fps slower they both have 22inch barrels and shoot identical groups any ideas
    thanks
    colin

Internal friction, chamber differences affecting the pressure curve and the length of throat altering the pressure curve.
    Just ideas thrown out, maybe wrong.

please explain
    colin

Probably the poor internal finish combined with sloppy chamber dimensions in the Remington barrel causing greater frictional resistance (hit and miss). You will probably gather that I am not a fan of Remingtons.

what a load of balls

So why request an explanation?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

100 fps, neither here nor there, I'm sure the deer/foxes won't complain, if the remmie's a new rifle it's perhaps a tad tighter and will loosen after running in, just a thought.

Colin

The rifles are made by different manufacturers to different specifications so 100 fps doesn't surprise me. Some questions:

Did you shoot the rifles on the same day?
    Was the same batch of ammunition used, or was it just two batches of ammunition loaded to the same spec?
    Were both barrels cleaned to the same standard?
    I take it the Remington was new, but how many rounds had the Tikka fired?
    The guys above have made some good points too. It all goes to show, that each rifle is to a certain extent, despite the .243 stamped on the barrel, unique.

I am fairly sure if we could round up half a dozen more .243 Win rifles with the same barrel length, we would get an even wider spread in velocities.

Rgds JCS

JCS I have not doubts that you are spot on with your comments. I'm not sure if it was Muir who in the past has stated he tested two brand new identical rifles from the sme manufacturer and each gave different velocities with the same ammo when shot under the same conditions consecitively. As you say each has an individual chamber and bore, no two rifles are identical ballistically.

Quote Originally Posted by rem708cdl View Post
    hello lads
    i just changed a tikka t3 243 till a rem lvsf in 243 i have cronoed the same load in each rifle and the remy is 100fps slower they both have 22inch barrels and shoot identical groups any ideas
    thanks
    colin
    please explain
    colin
    what a load of balls
    If you ask for an explanation, and get one, even if you don't like it, there is no need to get stroppy! You have bought a rifle make that many on this site do not rate, do not be surprised when it gets slated If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined

But you obviously do have a sense of humour, you bought the gunsmiths friend, a remmy

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.