Thread: Are antlered does healthy? and do there antlers set?

Are antlered does healthy? and do there antlers set?

Right well I know there has been a bit of talk about antlered does here but I actually spotted one on my own farm today. I was doing a bit of a recy around an area that usually holds plenty of roe and there she was. Stood just beside a buck laid up under a tree. First thought was its a malformed buck but nope theres a very obvious tush. Now most who have posted pictures of does with antlers its more like small lumps but this was a mass of what actually resembled proper antlers all be it malformed. They were at least 6 inches tall but probably a fair bit more. Unfortunately as I finally thought to grab my phone to take a picture she melted slowly away. I will go back to try and get some pictures to post on here. Is it likely she would be healthy? and Also I like the idea of grassing her but is it possible the antlers would set to hard antler? If so I would probably wait a while longer before going after her the reason I ask this is as it is very near to where I spotted what i thought to be a malformed buck last rut still in velvet although I could only see head and neck so possibly this doe? Anyway I'll be out after her with the camera first to try and get some snaps to show you all. she was very interesting indeed.

George

How long is a piece of string, can't give an exact answer to you your question, I have shot three antlered Does in my career two of which I am pretty sure were hermaphrodites so not truly Doe's, both appeared healthy apart from the gender aspect. The third Doe was a full six pointer in hard antler shot at the beginning of May as a Buck, she was found to be carrying a fully developed foetus.

Many years ago one May I had an Irish guest out for a Roebuck and we came upon what appeared to be a very large buck with a pair of small antlers in velvet.
    This was unusual as all my bucks were clean also it had a belly line not typical of a buck and when it took a step forward I spotted the anal tush.
    Subsequently she produced a good buck fawn and I decided to cull her at the end of the doe season.
    She then disappeared and was not seen for quite a while and I thought she had taken up residence elsewhere however we did meet one late season day and I took her into custody.
    The antlers were hard and the velvet came off during the boiling process.
    Over the years I shot others but these had only rudimentary antlers.
    HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by groach1234 View Post
    Right well I know there has been a bit of talk about antlered does here but I actually spotted one on my own farm today. I was doing a bit of a recy around an area that usually holds plenty of roe and there she was. Stood just beside a buck laid up under a tree. First thought was its a malformed buck but nope theres a very obvious tush. Now most who have posted pictures of does with antlers its more like small lumps but this was a mass of what actually resembled proper antlers all be it malformed. They were at least 6 inches tall but probably a fair bit more. Unfortunately as I finally thought to grab my phone to take a picture she melted slowly away. I will go back to try and get some pictures to post on here. Is it likely she would be healthy? and Also I like the idea of grassing her but is it possible the antlers would set to hard antler? If so I would probably wait a while longer before going after her the reason I ask this is as it is very near to where I spotted what i thought to be a malformed buck last rut still in velvet although I could only see head and neck so possibly this doe? Anyway I'll be out after her with the camera first to try and get some snaps to show you all. she was very interesting indeed.

George
    george,

the answer will probably be she 99% healthy. hormones cause the malform not some welfare issue. May be corrected!!!
    she is a trophy and i assume on that basis you will shoot her as would 99% of stalkers "in season"

atb f.

I shot one last year which was moss headed a friend shot one that had hard horn like a you would expect from an average yearling buck.

Dave

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    I shot one last year which was moss headed a friend shot one that had hard horn like a you would expect from an average yearling buck.

Dave
    Have you got ant piccies of the moss head doe you shot?
    Regards
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    george,

the answer will probably be she 99% healthy. hormones cause the malform not some welfare issue. May be corrected!!!
    she is a trophy and i assume on that basis you will shoot her as would 99% of stalkers "in season"

atb f.
    Thanks for everyone's input, I shall pursue her once I have established she doesn't have any dependants upon my return from skiing in a weeks time and i think she will be quite a special beast to take as my first solo stalk when we are both ready for it and when she is grassed I'll post plenty of pics and i will see if i can establisher her as a hermaphrodite or what may have caused the growth.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Have you got ant piccies of the moss head doe you shot?
    Regards
    Stu
    There she is:

Dave

[QUOTE=groach. Is it likely she would be healthy?

George[/QUOTE]

Hi George,

She probably is healthy, but old. I shot one like those pictured below, this time last year. A little fluke in the liver, not pregnant, worn uneven teeth, but the gralloch was normal.