Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Advice needed! , I am a novice stalker who only took up the sport in July last year after reading many of the posts on this forum.
    I am 100% hooked and am keen to become more proficient at stalking and stalk more.
    Starting from scratch, I have already taken my DSC level one and have a shiny new FAC with a 6.5 55 on the way.
    So as most people who are reading this will have been in my shoes at some point in in the past, I thought I would ask how best to proceed from here?.
    If you were in my shoes what would you do to become a better stalker and increase your opportunities to stalk without wasting time and money (I have a wife and kids who already waste my time and money!)
    Any advice would be appreciated!!!

What i would do is a i would get my self comfortable with my rifle and find out what you can do with it (consistantly) Then i would get hold of as many chaps off here who take out guests and get out with them as much as possible.At this time of year you can get a three hour stalk for as little as 50 - 60 pounds. What you will learn on them stalks will stand you in good sted for your future stalking. Then after a good few deer then you can progress to do lev2 and get your own stalking to manage.

hi,

first of all happy new year and welcome.
    the advice you require cannot be given as a set rule of how things will go for you.
    we all have had different luck and meet different people as we go.
    i would first of all say that keep an eye out for local lads to you try and meet up.
    getting to know your neighbours is always a good start.
    look also for let days to get your toes wet as they say
    there is many decent chaps on here offering good days out close to you.
    get involved in general conversations and if you have something to say, say it..
    i wish you the best in 2011

frank

Presumably since you have a ticket you also have land where you can shoot?
    Get yourself a mentor to show you the ropes and enjoy!

Hi,

What they said really, My one tip would be to ask questions and never be afraid to ask questions. Get yourself out there, its the best way to learn, watch closely what your guide does and you'll pick up everything you need to know.

Good luck for 2011,

Ads

Thanks a lot for the advice!
    I would like to know where you can get Stalking for 50-60 as I have been paying 120.00 for a mornings stalk, not that I have minded as I am learning the ropes and have really enjoyed just being out on the ground .
    I am not interested in trophy heads, but more interested in a good sporting stalk, learning about deer biology, and being able to butcher, cook and eat what I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Maker View Post
    ...learning about deer biology...
    Welcome!

Try starting here - http://www.anglebooks.com/product.ph...istory-of-deer

You will be hard pressed to find a better introduction than that given by Putman.

Enjoy!
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Rory Putman is very knowledgable but his books arnt exactly easy reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Maker View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice!
    I would like to know where you can get Stalking for 50-60 as I have been paying 120.00 for a mornings stalk, not that I have minded as I am learning the ropes and have really enjoyed just being out on the ground .
    I am not interested in trophy heads, but more interested in a good sporting stalk, learning about deer biology, and being able to butcher, cook and eat what I shoot.
    Welcome to the site. First of all can I echo what some have already said, in that you contact local members to yourself. Secondly if you care to look under the stalking section on the SD site you will find a number of offers at 50 to 60 a stalk, including myself

All the best

Sikamalc

the best advice to someone from someone who has been in your shoes is honesty, always be honest with your experience to other stalkers you may then be lucky as i was to hook up with a good old boy who will take you under there wing and show you the ropes.stalking is a very serious DRUG as addictive as any thing it has its high s and most diffently its lows and it always leaves me wanting more .i have learnt more from my mentor than any book ,cd , or course and continue to do so good luck with the addiction my names dug and i am a STALKAHOLIC