technical data

foxman

I have just bought a .2506 calibre in a tikka t3 lite model and ive encountered many problems of zeroing it in.Ive tried factory loaded in it federal 100g and now ive tried some home loads in it ie 115g silvertips with 52gof hodson powder 4381 still seems to be no better please can you help me with any suggestions you might have because ive looked and read about these groupings you can achieve with these models i own and also the home loads that im using so please can anyone help me so that i can get these better groupings many thanks from the foxman

foxman

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had similar problems recently with my Sako in .308. First off it's probably worth eliminating as many 'external' issues as possible. To this end, a couple of questions:

1. Is the rifle new? If not, how old/how many rounds has it seen?
2. When was the last time it was properly cleaned?
3. Are you shooting it through a moderator or not? If Yes, what are the groups like without the moderator?
4. Is the scope okay? Have you tried with another scope?
5. Is everything tight? Scope rings, mounts, action screws, etc?
6. Are you sure the barrel is free floating? Could there be anything lodged between the barrel and the stock?
7. What other factory loads have you tried? What weight bullets?
8. What are the results with someone else behind the trigger?

I ended up having to re-barrel my Sako, but not before I'd had three sessions on the range with a whole variety of homeloads and factory ammo. In retrospect I should have had a gunsmith look through the barrel with a borescope before I started, but as I'd just had the barrel threaded I thought that was the problem. :doh:

Good luck!

willie_gunn

thanks for the info willie gunn and giving me some ideas of what to do next i can tell you that the gun i bought is brand new and so far its had about 40 rounds through it but as far as i know everything is okay on my friend has checked it all out for me i suppose what i will have to do is practise with as the old saying goes practise makes perfect but once again many thanks

foxman

Good to hear that the rifle is new - should at least remove some of the variables.

What type of grouping are you getting at the moment? Just be aware that many barrels will require some running in before they will shoot good groups. My re-barreled Sako took about 50 shots before the grouping started to become consistent, whereas the Blaser took less than 20. If you search on this site you'll find a number of links to suggested barrel running-in procedures - see here for example: http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/shoot-in.htm

Let us know how you get on.

willie_gunn

I have a mixture of odd boxes of .25-06 from when I was trying to find a load for mine.

I am not too far from Peterbourgh drop me a pm if you are interested.

I have a mixture of odd boxes of .25-06 from when I was trying to find a load for mine.

I am not too far from Peterbourgh drop me a pm if you are interested.

Cam .................... if Foxman does not want them then I will be interested. Am still playing about with my 25-06.

Trigger adjustment may help, if I remember right they are "factory set" at about 3 1/2 lb, reset mine to approx 2lb, much improved but still not the best of triggers.

Barrels are like women, no matter what their pedigree, you may find a barrel shoots in with as few as twenty rounds!........... then you may find a little sweetie after as many as 200!!!!:D

Foxman. I have a Tikka T3 Hunter .25-06 20" Barrel. from New it shot like a bag of POOP Adjusted trigger an got it re-crowned If i do my Job it will as good as one hole group (5-10 shots) with 75gr V-MAX or 117gr-120gr Bullets. i would say i about 20-25min from you if you need any help, i also homeload

Stalkerboydy - Out of interest why was it necessary to get your rifle recrowned if it was a new rifle, had it been damaged by threading possibly? I would certainly have taken it back if the crowning was damaged in any way. You've also lost me with regard to a couple of things, not sure if it's just the way that I'm reading it. 5 to 10 shot groups out of a sporter barreled rifle such as the hunter?

Hello, Foxman.

We're in the same town.

I should be shooting tomorrow with a friend who has a Sako 75 in .25/06 which has the same barrel as the Tikka T3 .25/06. Poor crowning is unlikely to be a fault with yours. I have a few Tikka's myself.

I'll find out what works well in the Sako/Tikka barrel for him, and post it up.

Cheers to you, and don't lose heart.

same problem

Hi did you get it sorted ? i have the same problem with my Tikka t3 in 308 , bought brand new from york guns with Ziess scope could not get a group better than 5 inch ?? found the stock was touching and in fact slightly warped , York guns told me i had got the stock wet and had dried it incorrectly !!!!!! Gmk said the same thing although i had not shot in the wet.
Solution bought a synthetic stock now it clover leafs at 100 yrds

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had similar problems recently with my Sako in .308. First off it's probably worth eliminating as many 'external' issues as possible. To this end, a couple of questions:

1. Is the rifle new? If not, how old/how many rounds has it seen?
2. When was the last time it was properly cleaned?
3. Are you shooting it through a moderator or not? If Yes, what are the groups like without the moderator?
4. Is the scope okay? Have you tried with another scope?
5. Is everything tight? Scope rings, mounts, action screws, etc?
6. Are you sure the barrel is free floating? Could there be anything lodged between the barrel and the stock?
7. What other factory loads have you tried? What weight bullets?
8. What are the results with someone else behind the trigger?

I ended up having to re-barrel my Sako, but not before I'd had three sessions on the range with a whole variety of homeloads and factory ammo. In retrospect I should have had a gunsmith look through the barrel with a borescope before I started, but as I'd just had the barrel threaded I thought that was the problem. :doh:

Good luck!

willie_gunn[/QUOTE]

Stalkerboydy - Out of interest why was it necessary to get your rifle recrowned if it was a new rifle, had it been damaged by threading possibly? I would certainly have taken it back if the crowning was damaged in any way. You've also lost me with regard to a couple of things, not sure if it's just the way that I'm reading it. 5 to 10 shot groups out of a sporter barreled rifle such as the hunter?

Gun came threaded new from GMK. After a lot of hassle Dennis from Jackson Rifles sorted the thread and re-crown Sorry about the group's It will now shoot 5 as good as into one hole at 100yrds. Long story about the ten shot Group just to say after a heated discussion with some one, i shot 10 shot's (NOT ONE AFTER THE OTHER) NEARLY into one hole at 100yrds to prove a point about cleaning a Rifle Barrel

I'm with you now - clearly a problem with the crown then, and you certainly took it to the right place to get it sorted. I'm not absolutely sure on this but I believe at one time GMK were threading barrels themselves or having it done after delivery from Tikka or Sako, if so the quality of the work wasn't up the the current factory standards.

Hello again, Foxman

This is the load that works in the Sako 75 .25/06

- Sierra 117grain Pro Hunter - 53.3 grains of IMR 7828
- CCI LR benchrest primer
- Federal brass
- seating depth, 110 thou between ogive & lands

It produces a muzzle velocity of c. 3,030 ft/s from a 24” barrel and usually groups into less than 3/8th of an inch

Back