Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one got...

Any one got...

Hi guys has any one got any dvd's or videos for lab training (picking up)

Dont take this the wrong way but 90% of it is just common sense.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Cheers pal just want to make sure I'm doing things right it's my first lab so I'm learning just as much as he is

Quote Originally Posted by russ91 View Post
    Cheers pal just want to make sure I'm doing things right it's my first lab so I'm learning just as much as he is
    I find that half of the training is about training yourself to "read" the dog.

The slower you take it the faster you will progress.

Im very happy at how my current Lab has come, this time I put a bit more time into it, 10mins each day. I start off by playing with him for a couple of minutes, doing the 10mins training then another couple of minutes playing before I put him back in the kennels, always try to start and end a training session on a high, some days hes pushed me to breaking point but I still have a play before he goes back in the kennel.

I get as much joy in the training as I do in working him.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 03-01-2011 at 17:43.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I have a book that I can send you FOC, all I ask is that you return it when you are finished with it, you can keep it for however long you need it.

Books are better than DVD's, you can have a quick squint or refer to them much quicker if you are stuck with a problem. Talking from a personal point, I take in a book much more than something I watch.

Russ

Taking nothing away from what Dan says, if you do want to go down the route of training films, have a look at Edward Martins ones from Sealpin Kennels. The reason I suggest his is because it is more than obvious that some of the other professional trainers have used already trained dogs in the making of their films which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. Edward does the opposite and shows you dogs making basic errors so that you see how to correct them. From the puppy choosing stage right up to their first time out in the field picking game, you will see the dogs developing. I can vouch for him as a friend and I helped in a small way when the films were being made (I receive no royalties!!!) by taking some of my pups down to his kennels to highlight what to look for when choosing a dog.

Like Dan says though, when I started training dogs I learned from mistakes and by reading what was available at the time.

Russ
    why not look at doing a running post of how you are doing things and what you are trying to acheive
    then by gleaming some of the advice offered to you on the subject and possibly finding a competent dog trainer in your area that can also show you some moves and give advice will benefit you both no end
    training labs to pick up is a piece of piss, just putting the discipline in the right place at the right time is the hard part
    and to be honest most of that is just common sense
    daunting as it may seem,
    easy it actually is
    but it may take you a few dogs down the line to get it perfected
    so just go steady and don't over expect

I had one it was great , when i finished with it i threw it out but ...........