Re-Loading .243 win

243Sako

Hi All,

I am new to reloading (literally have just bought some kit) and could do with some advice from the experts.

I have ordered a copy of modern reloading. I had a look on a reloading supplier website and found hundreds of bullet heads for sale.

Any recommendations on which are best? I currently use rws 100gr soft points which give me 1/2 in groups at 100 yds and would like a similar head?

Thanks in advance!

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Hi Rob Whereabouts are you in Hants , More than happy to show you the ropes if you can make your way to my neck of the woods. :)

Hi Brough,

Thank you that is very kind, yes please!!! Im in Hedge End on the outskirts of Southampton, next to the M27, where are you?

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Hi Rob , I'm in Chichester .Take you 30 minutes , I'll pm you my Number give us a call and we can sort something out see if we can get you up to speed.
Brough

Hi All,

I am new to reloading (literally have just bought some kit) and could do with some advice from the experts.

I have ordered a copy of modern reloading. I had a look on a reloading supplier website and found hundreds of bullet heads for sale.

Any recommendations on which are best? I currently use rws 100gr soft points which give me 1/2 in groups at 100 yds and would like a similar head?

Thanks in advance!

ATB

Rob
243Sako
for starters mate check the twist of your rifle as most factory 243s are 10 twist,this twist dosent like 100 grain bullets you would be better off with a 87 to 95gr max
a really good powder to use is Vit 160,get lapua brass costs a bity more but real good quality

Thanks Long shot,

Thanks, is that because the 100's dont have as quick a velocity as the lighter heads? How much is powder roughly and for how much as this was the only component i couldnt find a rough price for? Do you know of a good supplier anywhere near the hampshire area?

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

Thanks Long shot,

Thanks, is that because the 100's dont have as quick a velocity as the lighter heads? How much is powder roughly and for how much as this was the only component i couldnt find a rough price for? Do you know of a good supplier anywhere near the hampshire area?

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

no mate the velocity hasnt anything to do with it,the 243 isnt really a caliber for throwing 100gr bullets unless you have a 9 or 8 twist,however there is the odd exception to the rule and some people have found there rifle shoots the 100gr bullets but not many and you could spend lots of money and waste lots of time finding this out,persoanlly I would look towards 80 to 95 gr weights,I have found the 87 gr bullets work well in a factory 10 twist rifle,
the 87gr hornady boat tail hollow point are a great bullet for deer,Sierra game king or pro hunter may be worth a look,you could also look at the ballistic tip range of bullets,
what i will say dont get into using match bullets,some people say there legal to use but all there doing is banding the rules to suit themself,also they dont work correctly as there not designed to expand
you could do with an experienced reloader to help you in your area,Iam sure there will be someone on this site to offer there services,if you were closer i would glady help you out
as to were to buy your item,not sure in Hampshire but have you a local gun shop that can help you out,just dont buy what they offer you thats on there shelf.

Why dont you try a box of Sako Factory 100gr if they work well you can then use the same load as the sako factory ammo just a thought

Thanks Long shot,

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

The .243 is a strange cartridge, some rifles happily group the 100 grain bullets in tight little clusters others will not shoot them worth a darn. Flat based 100 grain bullets often shoot better in those marginal barrels than the Boat Tailed ones it's all to do with length of the bullet. One cannot drive them fast enough to fully stabilise which is why some rifle manufacturers use a slightly faster twist rate in their barrels. The original twist rate chosen by Winchester for the .243 was 1 in 10".

Now your rifle is happily shooting the RWS 100 grain bullet so you know that you don't have a problem with a bullet of that length.

Do you know if it's a Boat Tail of flat base bullet?

A lot will depend on what bullets your local dealer stocks :( due to the daft restrictions on posting expanding bullets. I would chose a flat based one like the :-

6mm .243 100gr InterLock® SP

SKU: 2450 | 100/BX

Or the Speer 100 Gr SP.

Some rate the PPU bullets but I have not used them myself. RWS bullets for reloading are about as scarce as Hens teeth.

Powder is now a horrendous price and seems to vary from place to place on price :-| so you will have to see what the prices are locally to you again no buying by post :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
FWIW my load for 243 are this:
85gr Sierra varminter or 87gr Hornady Vmax.
CCI200 primer
Vit 160 44gr
3100-3150 FPS
Groups less than 1/2"
The OAL is specific to your rifle which you will have to figure out.
Cases are Fed, PMC or Winch depending.

Reloading Solutions are in Kiddlington north of Oxford.
Price for 1kg of Vit 160 is £63 from HPS Target rifles in Gloucester.
HPS Price List and Brochure

Hi Brithunter,

Yes my rifle seem quite happy with rws 100grn T Mantle soft points and will give me 1/2 in groups if i do my bit.

(im pretty sure they flat base as it has a picture of the head on the box showing a flat base)

Would you recomend i stick with the flat base?

Thanks to all for the advice!!

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Hi Brithunter,

Yes my rifle seem quite happy with rws 100grn T Mantle soft points and will give me 1/2 in groups if i do my bit.

(im pretty sure they flat base as it has a picture of the head on the box showing a flat base)

Would you recomend i stick with the flat base?

Thanks to all for the advice!!

ATB

Rob
243Sako
if your happy mate with what your using why change ?? or do you want to enter the dark world of re loading :drool:
which can be very satifying but also can drive you mad :banghead:

if your happy mate with what your using why change ?? or do you want to enter the dark world of re loading :drool:
which can be very satifying but also can drive you mad :banghead:

...but, surely you cannot be satisfied until 5 shot groups are represented with only one little hole, typically the diameter of your bullet:tiphat:

Hi Long Shot

Its something i have always wanted to do i had a go one doing some .357 mag with a friend for a winchester lever action but that was not so precise. I have also heard that it is possible to achieve 1/4in groups at 100yds if you get it right.

and ofcourse at £30 for 20 rounds it would also be nice to save a bit in the long run and it is something i can tuck myself away (from the missus AHUM!!) for some peace and quiet.

Mainly its sort of an attractive prospect to make your own ammunition i think.

I am saying this now but............

Would you say its worth it?

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

Hi Long Shot

Its something i have always wanted to do i had a go one doing some .357 mag with a friend for a winchester lever action but that was not so precise. I have also heard that it is possible to achieve 1/4in groups at 100yds if you get it right.

and ofcourse at £30 for 20 rounds it would also be nice to save a bit in the long run and it is something i can tuck myself away (from the missus AHUM!!) for some peace and quiet.

Mainly its sort of an attractive prospect to make your own ammunition i think.

I am saying this now but............

Would you say its worth it?

Cheers

Rob
243Sako
I see you what saying factory ammo is expensive and its having the same type on the shelf when you need it then is it the same batch,but to get what you want 1/2 groups from a factory rifle is very hard and if you manage it once dont be disapointed if it dosent repeat as factory rifles have a bad habbit of that,if you can get a consistant 1 inch 3/4 inch group you should be happy any less is a bonus
if you were closer I would give you a hand as I like a challenge

ive not been reloading long but in my sako 75 (1 in 10 ) twist you can cover my shots with a modern 1p piece, these are sierra gamekings 100grn with vit 160, these are boat tails, but with sierra pro hunters (flat base) the group opens out a bit, havent played with seating depth yet. have a look at powder makers web sites as well as bullet makers, very addictive when you get going. sb

Stick 41gr of n160 under Sierra 100gr Gamekings. I can get 3 shots into a target patch at about 100 yards, in a Sako 75. More than good enough for my needs. ATB.

Hi Satellite buck,

Thanks for the info, are the gamekings soft point? what brass do you use?

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

Hi Richard,

What size group does that work out as? Are the gamekings boat tailed? What brass do you use?

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Rob
243Sako

Back