Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with 300wm?

Red face Stalking/ Hunting with 300wm?

what is the opinion out there for deer stalking and hunting with 300wm. Many use it? Is it too much gun?

Comments welcomed

(sorry. Should have been clearer. Meant stalking in first post .)
    Last edited by accurate; 04-01-2011 at 09:46. Reason: stupidity

I should imagine it would be frowned on with the local hunts, but you never know what johnny foreigner will do

Simon

Edit; Does shooting from horseback count as being in a vehicle? If so how do you turn it off to shoot legally?
    Last edited by flytie; 04-01-2011 at 07:55. Reason: irreverance
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Sorry flytie. Meant stalking.

As the 300 Win Mag is just a hopped up .30 cal there really should be no problems.

However the Police don't have the sense, logic nor often the brains/intelligence to work that out and that little word at the end ....................................... Magnum well to the Police it means that you can shoot anything and through anything so they don't like it they like the word Minimum not Magnum.

Unless you find a very rare "enlightened" PEO and FLO then they will likely have a fit when you ask and then you file will be flagged for special attention in the future .

I spoke to a bloke many years ago who used his for everything, lighter loads for foxes right up to the heavier bullets for boar and big reds. When you look at the Hornady manual, it gains on average between 200-300fps over a 30-06 for bullet weights above 150grns. I suppose the question is, do you NEED a 150-190grn bullet to be travelling at these speeds to do the job? The answer is obviously no as the smaller 30 cal chamberings do such a good job on game already.

I think therefore, the biggest advantage in the bullets doing these speeds would be at extreme ranges in target shooting or on dangerous game in other countries where a heavy bullet is necessary. I am not suggesting however that there is any real reason for not having one, but considerations are - expensive brass, large powder loads, more recoil and if you decide to sell it on will there be a big market for this calibre?

This is not based on any experience with a 300Win mag, more on my usage of other calibre's including 30's and from reading on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    Sorry flytie. Meant stalking.
    Accurate, I am sorry I could not resist tweaking your tail it's your nom de plume that did it for me

Simon

Edit; to answer your question, in principal I see nothing against it, it will do the job perfectly. The problem, as Brit has so reasonably answered, is our uniformed friends. Whatever the calibre, all you and I are considering is whether or not it will do the job humanely, and the answer is a catagoric yes! The FLD's are another matter, they do not think about things like we do. Although there are enlightened Firearms Departments who will issue permission for you to stalk with larger calibres, they are rare beasts indeed

Edit, Edit; NJC on here has a .338 WM for stalking, they took his .375 H&H away though!
    Last edited by flytie; 04-01-2011 at 11:32. Reason: an attack of reasonableness
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I have a .300wm for stalking. Currently in dry dock with a burnt out barrel. It's a good calibre and inherently accurate to boot. Will take any mortal thing in this country with alacrity and all the plains game you can throw at it including Eland.
    I've had two so far and my previous .300 TRGS went to Africa (in other hands) and took everything with one shot kills with 180gr Swift A frames. For this country I'd be inclined to use a 180gr accubond. In fact that's what I will be developing a load on when the rifle is rebarrelled eventually.

Too much gun? Not with the appropriate bullet selection.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    As the 300 Win Mag is just a hopped up .30 cal there really should be no problems.

However the Police don't have the sense, logic nor often the brains/intelligence to work that out and that little word at the end ....................................... Magnum well to the Police it means that you can shoot anything and through anything so they don't like it they like the word Minimum not Magnum.

Unless you find a very rare "enlightened" PEO and FLO then they will likely have a fit when you ask and then you file will be flagged for special attention in the future .
    Kevin,

I know this post is off thread, but nonetheless here goes. Now I know you have a great many lovely old rifles that you both collect and use, and I also know that you have more than your fair share of run ins with your local Constabulary over your variations. However given that a great many "agencies" monitor this and other forums I doubt very much that posts like your one here does very little except to ensure that you jump through every available hoop. I can't help but think that a "softer" approach might help.

I have put this post on only to offer constructive comment and not to be destructive, and in the hope that aspiring F.A.C. applicants don't think that the Police are the enemy with regard to firearms.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I used to use a .300 Win Mag for most of my wild deer shooting. This was before we had moderators so I used a muzzle brake, I now have two hearing aids! I assume that you would moderate it now? You would be mad not to. I used 165grn Sierra GK's for everything. As has been said, very accurate and very effective.

I'm afraid that I agree with Brithunter to a certain extent. At the end of the day, it's a .30 cal so the deer doesn't know or care whether its been hit by a .308 Win or a .300 Win Mag. The Police might get snotty these days but if you have a genuine reason for owning it then this is not a problem as long as you don't do what so many people do and that is 'ask' the FEO if you can possibly maybe kindly have one whilst grovelling and feeding him tea and biscuits. This just make them feel God like and encourages them to say no. Just put in the variation and if he rings up and queries it then just say that you are too busy to talk on the phone and could he please put his reasons in an email or letter.

The major downside is the cost of ammutition, if you intend to use factory loads then, unless you've just won the lottery, forget it and buy a .308 Win. Reloading will ease the pain a bit but you will still be burning around twice the powder than you would in a more 'sensible' calibre.

Recoil can be harsh without some form of reduction device.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the calibre and the rifle (another TRGS) but I wouldn't buy another.

If you get one make sure you get one you intend to keep as the resale value will be low.

As for the 'Agencies' monitering this website, I hope they do, they might pick up on some of the hassles that we face.

Best wishes,
    JC

In answer to JAYB well Helen Wilkie the Firearms Licensing Officer at Nettleham certainly knows I post on the web and under which name so yes it's possible that they are looking to see what I say. However as what I have posted is factual then perhaps if theu did their jobs properly and not tried to build little empires there would not be the distrust of them.

Oh by the way I had a nice Ruger No1B in 300 Win Mag it had to go in a trade to swing a deal for Thre M93 Boer Mausers and the Medwell & Perritt.

When the Police earn our trust I will give it but so far they have done nothing to do so.

Now is it wrong to expect respect from a civil servant and that they should actually know what their job entails and not what they would like it to? Especially when we are so vetted/checked out when grants and renewals are done.