Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too hot ?

too hot ?

hi all ,

ive just loaded up some .270 , 130gn speer spbt's over 59.5gn N560 chronographed at and average of 3100fps ( i say average not 100% sure my chrono is accurate because ive not checked it against any on elses!).

no pressure signs , lovely clean neck on the case and producing 0.8" grouping , now most would say nowt wrong with that , but i shot a roe doe on sunday straight through the shoulders at 235yds ish , entry was good , exit i could put my fist in !

now also baring in mind i was using a 6.5x55 for all my stalking and not used to such damage , do i need to slow it down a smidge ?

your thoughts please !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I use a 6.5 with N560 50grn and it also leaves a bloody big exit hole but thats what i want .I put it down more to the choice of bullet mine is a SST 129 GRN

Lee, to do that damage at 235 yards is going some! is that the only beast you have shot with this load? What velocity do speer recommend? i am just about to try some 100 grain Noslers,starting with 46.5 grains of N160, might be interesting?

Avoid the shoulders .

Your getting the velocity that the .270 Winchester was originally made to do. Of course not all factory ammunition actually achieved it but that was 85 years ago and powders have improved since then. In my 20" barrel the RWS 130 Gr T-Mantle ammunition gave an average of 2996fps.

A chronograph is on this years to get list .

Only you can decide if slowing it down slightly is the right thing to do for your stalking......................... or not. But avoid the shoulder and you will likely lose less meat.

Slowing the bullet down may help with carcase damage but you will then start to sufer bullet trajectory becoming worse. You must decide what you want depending on the ranges and type of deer you shoot at. (235 yards for a roe doe is a fairly long range, whereas it's more the norm for highland reds).
    In my experience fast bullets (over 2900 f/s) do leave more damage irrespective of calibre. Eg 100 grain 243 running at 3000 f/s often makes more mess than 150 grain 308 at 2700 f/s.
    Additionally hits through the shoulders generally make a mess. - Better shoot them just behind the leg & hope you miss the ribs.
    My preference is for fairly heavy, relatively hard bullets that don't break up, yet still give full expansion. (308 150grain Winchester Power Point heads at 2730 f/sec works for me. I bought a big box a few years back and am still using them - it's great having a cheap reliable supply especially looking at today's prices!).

Hi Lee

A 270 is always going to be enough gun and some for Roe, is this the only roe you have shot with the load so far? If you hit rib on the way in and on the way out you could get some big holes, personally if it is the first one I would shoot a few more animals before I changed anything and see how it goes.

The good thing about having a big one, is you can always download it, or try a harder bullet and keep that flat shooting trajectory.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Lee, to do that damage at 235 yards is going some! is that the only beast you have shot with this load? What velocity do speer recommend? i am just about to try some 100 grain Noslers,starting with 46.5 grains of N160, might be interesting?
    chees lads ,

admittedly this is the first animal ive shot with this load , and yes a rib was hit on the way in !

im loving the point and quirt trajectory of the 270 having being a BIG fan of the 6.5 , i think i am a little shocked as the mess of the far shoulder , but wrom what i can see there is minimal brusing on and arround the entry wound !

also 235yds is a very long shot for me and the whple reason for the 270 was in preperation for possible deer work in scotland so i think ill plod on and see how they perform at the weekend on the hinds .

cheers lee

Discretion assured

Hello mate, I think you'll have better luck with a harder bullet. The spear boat tail soft points are very soft, softer than the same company's flat based soft points.

The velocity is high but that's the .270 for you and there are bullets out there that can and do cope. I hope Brian will chime in here as he had a very good load using a 140 grain hornady spbt at around 2800fps that did the business and didn't shoot up too much meat.

In my 3006 I download the 150 grain spear spbt to 2850 ratherthN the full 3000 for just the reason you mention in your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Hello mate, I think you'll have better luck with a harder bullet. The spear boat tail soft points are very soft, softer than the same company's flat based soft points.

The velocity is high but that's the .270 for you and there are bullets out there that can and do cope. I hope Brian will chime in here as he had a very good load using a 140 grain hornady spbt at around 2800fps that did the business and didn't shoot up too much meat.

In my 3006 I download the 150 grain spear spbt to 2850 ratherthN the full 3000 for just the reason you mention in your first post.
    well i thing im still gonna hang on before i fully make my mind up , shot another roe this morning with classic heart\lung shot at 150yds and the bullet damage was no where as bad !

i think its just a point of bullet placement and avoid the shoulder if possible , ill give it a dozen animals or so just to be sure , im going to bucher the first roe this afternoon to access the damage and bruising !
    cheers lee

Discretion assured

well ive just finished butchering the first .270 shot roe and i have to say is was not as bad as it looked !

i only lost the exit shoulder meat wise and i could have got some meat from it if i could have been bothered !

here are the pics , would like your thoughts on the damage.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://[/IMG]
    Last edited by leec6.5; 05-01-2011 at 17:39.

Discretion assured