Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems zeroing my new 30-06

Problems zeroing my new 30-06

Hi All,
    I collected my new 30-06 Browning X-Bolt with a wildcat predator 8 moderator on Christmas eve.
    Itching to zero it i accepted an invite from a friend on the forum to join him whilst he zeroed his 7mm.
    I had a box of 150 grain Winchester cartridges and off we went.
    But could i get it to zero, now way, doubt crept in, so i assumed it must be the man behind the gun, namely me, so i tried his 7mm, no problem and put 6 rounds in a 1'' hole at 100 yards.
    So i let him try my rifle, same problem, couldn't get it to shoot consistently.
    Then i ran out of bullets (will be re-loading soon just waiting for postman!) so we couldn't try without the mod on.
    So i got home and made sure everything was tight, which it was.
    But now i think i have found out what it might be, when i screw the mod on the plastic screw in end of the mod touches the barrel, in other words it doesn't just shround the barrel.
    I have contacted the company who stated i can ream out the plastic nut without voiding the warranty, but i might get the gun shop to do it.
    Watch this space, i will let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Richard

By the sound of things, the plastic shroud has not been reemed out enough.

Thus the mod may not be screwing fully on. ( not tight against thr shoulder of muzzle thread)

Rgds Uncle Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 04-01-2011 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    But now i think i have found out what it might be, when i screw the mod on the plastic screw in end of the mod touches the barrel, in other words it doesn't just shround the barrel.
    The bushing on the predator 8 is meant to be a contact fit, i.e. it is supposed to touch the barrel. If you call wildcat they can confirm what the tolerance should be.

What sort of group size were you getting? The most obvious test would be to remove the mod and see how it shoots without. Then you can start troubleshooting....

Alex

Certainly sounds like you have solved the problem (fingers crossed)! Does the plastic bush screw out on this mod, I am not familiar with them, if so you could just take it out(?)

Hope you get it sorted.

ATB

Tom

Yes i did ring the manufacturer and they said nothing about it being designed to be in contact with the barrel, and would not have a problem with it being reamed out, i always was of the opinion that nothing should come into contact with a free floating barrel, perhaps i'm wrong.
    The plastic piece does screw out easily to work on.
    I will remove the mod and try again, just going into Exeter to pick up some more ammo.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Try a different ammo!
    i wold tend to agree with malc on this , ive used winchester bullets in both my 6.5x55 and 270 and neither liked them !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Yes i did ring the manufacturer and they said nothing about it being designed to be in contact with the barrel, and would not have a problem with it being reamed out, i always was of the opinion that nothing should come into contact with a free floating barrel, perhaps i'm wrong.
    The plastic piece does screw out easily to work on.
    I will remove the mod and try again, just going into Exeter to pick up some more ammo.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Who did you speak to at Wildcat?

I have three wildcats and the bushings are all contact fit as per Andrew Banner's instructions. I forget the exact spec, something like barrel diameter + x thou.

The problem you have if the bushing doesn't touch at rest (but almost touches) is that it might touch during firing, so you could get unpredictable results as it will sometimes be touching and sometimes not. The idea of the contact fit is that the pressure on the barrel is consistent and therefore doesn't cause unreliable results. The barrel is still 'floating', it's just that the mod is now considered part of that barrel.

Unfortunately Wildcat have no fitting instructions on their site but by way of an example the P8 is supposed to work in exactly the same way as the T8, if you check out the docs on the T8 you'll see the bushing should be barrel diameter +.02mm which, in engineering terms, is a contact fit.

http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencer...-t4-manual.pdf

If you are going to increase the bushing so that it is non-contact then make sure there is enough clearance that it can never touch. But not having a contact fit goes against what wildcat have told me in the past and defeats the purpose of having the bushing there in the first place, so I'm at a loss as to why they haven't mentioned it to you.

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 04-01-2011 at 12:42.

Sorry Devon Deer Stalker,

All of these over barrel type moderators bushes, come into contact with the barrel on final tighting.

With the exception of the ASU north star.

But as said by Sikamalc, possibly try different Ammo

Rgds Uncle Buck

If it turns out that removing the mod solves the accuracy problem another thing to look at is the clearance between barrel and stock when the mod is on. Sometimes the extra weight of the mod on the end of the barrel (particularly when combined with a bipod pushing up at the end of the stock) can cause interference problems between stock and barrel when firing.

Alex