.22LR Winchester Laser

User00003

Was out toying around with the .22LR this weekend, and going through some of my never ending stacks of ammo. Usually shoot Winchester Rabbit Ammo, but found the RWS subs to be the most accurate and consistent for grouping ability.

Then I found 4 boxes of Winchester Laser 37.5g hollow point. Nothing written on the box about them being supersonics, but they went like hell and furry out of the barrell, and were dispersed about 2-3" high from 50yards, with little grouping shape to them either. The bullets don't look like lead either, maybe a copper/bronze mix?

any ideas what's going on here? needless to say, won't be using these boxes, they were acting a bit notorious..

Some high speed Winchester offerings are suspect. The last really high speed round they made that was worth a spit was the "Super Max" which was discontinued in 1986 IIRC. Winchester has put out a lot of catchily named, light bulleted rounds as of late. Don't worry. Your rifle just doesn't like them. The shift in POI being high, and I'm wagering a tad left, is normal. If you didn't fire at least 10 rounds, you should retry them. It takes a few rounds to "season" the bore to a new ammunition. ~Muir

Win Lazer is a high velocity round. It works ok in my heavy barelled Walther running boar target rifle but does not give as tight a group as Lapua Speed Ace.
The running boar target shooting discipline is one of the only cases for using high velocity ammo for me - I now shoot subsonic for all my shooting and have learned the bullet drop at various ranges for that. If I was to use high velocity stuff as well I'd have to remember twice as much trajectory data.
Being hollow pointed copper plated lead heads the Lazer do need to be run in when first used in a rifle.
Some rifles like high velocity ammo & others don't. You've got to try a few different types in your own rifle for group size & then make your own mind up which to buy.
I like RWS subsonic hollow point for the bunnies and RWS Target for range work.

Hmmm strange nearly all that I used to shoot the Running Boar with at Bisley used std velocity target type ammunition. I shot either the Brno Model 2 or the BSA SuperSport Five. The BSA's bolt is slicker so better for the doubles. The BSA also shoots the CCI Blazer ammo very nicely so I would use that if shooting it again or the Eley EPS.

I was not impressed with the RWS subs. My rifles seem to prefer the Winchester Subs. Have not tried the RWS target stuff. The Lazer was acquired to deal with the odd close range Fox but I was not impressed with it so the rest got used up on the range.

Hmmm strange nearly all that I used to shoot the Running Boar with at Bisley used std velocity target type ammunition. I shot either the Brno Model 2 or the BSA SuperSport Five. The BSA's bolt is slicker so better for the doubles. The BSA also shoots the CCI Blazer ammo very nicely so I would use that if shooting it again or the Eley EPS.

I was not impressed with the RWS subs. My rifles seem to prefer the Winchester Subs. Have not tried the RWS target stuff. The Lazer was acquired to deal with the odd close range Fox but I was not impressed with it so the rest got used up on the range.

I use a BRNO Mod2 with PH Mod. Likes the RWS subs ok, as well as W'ster and Eley subs. Have you ever had any issues with your magazine pushing the tip of the ammo too high, so when cycling a new round the bullet hits the top of the barrell/bullet seating, and you have to push it down with your finger via the receiver/bolt opening? this is happening to mine, until only 2 rounds left in the mag, then it works fine...:evil:

I use a BRNO Mod2 with PH Mod. Likes the RWS subs ok, as well as W'ster and Eley subs. Have you ever had any issues with your magazine pushing the tip of the ammo too high, so when cycling a new round the bullet hits the top of the barrell/bullet seating, and you have to push it down with your finger via the receiver/bolt opening? this is happening to mine, until only 2 rounds left in the mag, then it works fine...:evil:

Not with the Brno that I recall. Mine has it's original all steel smoth bottomed magazine and I have a 10 shot steel mag I brought at the same new as well.

Now I do get that occasionally on a BSA Supersport Five with one of the magazines. The bullet tips hit the chamber edge instead of slipping intot he chamber smoothly. Sometimes it because the rim of the top cartridge has slipped behind the one below it.

I do recall that the new BRNO 10 Rnd mag was very stiff so I loaded it with 8 rounds, could not get 10 into it, and put it in a drawer and left it for a few weeks. This took the edge of the spring strength and it worked better. I do find that bolt operation speed is more improtant with the Model 2. Try to feed the cartridge in slowly it catches and is sticky but move the bolt firmly and smartly and it feeds slickly. I suggest you leave the magazine fully loaded for a while and see if it helps as it sounds liek the spring may be a bit string still.

Not with the Brno that I recall. Mine has it's original all steel smoth bottomed magazine and I have a 10 shot steel mag I brought at the same new as well.

Now I do get that occasionally on a BSA Supersport Five with one of the magazines. The bullet tips hit the chamber edge instead of slipping intot he chamber smoothly. Sometimes it because the rim of the top cartridge has slipped behind the one below it.

I do recall that the new BRNO 10 Rnd mag was very stiff so I loaded it with 8 rounds, could not get 10 into it, and put it in a drawer and left it for a few weeks. This took the edge of the spring strength and it worked better. I do find that bolt operation speed is more improtant with the Model 2. Try to feed the cartridge in slowly it catches and is sticky but move the bolt firmly and smartly and it feeds slickly. I suggest you leave the magazine fully loaded for a while and see if it helps as it sounds liek the spring may be a bit string still.

Great idea mate,,,to be honest, I 'did' think of it, but discounted the idea because I didn't want to make the spring sloppy, but hearing it worked for you is testimony to the effectiveness of the theory put into practice. will give it a shot (no pun intended).

cheers.

You might try disassembling the magazine and changing the angle of the follower. I have never had to do this to a Brno, but it has worked with other makes.~Muir

As I said PKL when my 10 shot magazine was new I could only get 8 rounds into it the spring was that strong. It was also a trick used by Practical Pistol shooters so not my idea I just used it.

Not quite on topic, but I was in the city tonight and swung through a high-end sporting good retailer and found steel CZ 452 (453, Brno) magazines on clearance for $14 US each. These were among a pile of polymer CZ magazines at the same price. They also had a set of Burris rings for the Brno .22's on sale for $23 US. I have three sets of those rings but I bought two of the 5 shot magazines. I still have a CZ 452 American in the box that I haven't shot. (Largely because JAYB said I'd... How'd he put it??... have it "shot out in a month!") These mags will go well with that rifle.~Muir

Back