Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does and yearlings

Does and yearlings

Got into a conversation with a few guys the other day, and just wanted the forums' opinions on the subject.

When would you say it is appropriate to shoot an older cull Doe who is with a kid/follower, assuming the follower looks strong enough to survive the rest of the winter, etc. - January?

Would you shoot a Doe Yearling, whether with another Yearling or with older Doe and Kid - ie. if not for culling purposes, would you see it as unethical given the likelyhood of pregnancy? (same ethical issue with older Doe).

If you had to chose between culling one of two kids with an older Doe, would you take a Buck over a Doe, or? why?

interested in hearing your thoughts. Will not state my own personal thoughts on the subject at the moment.

If you think the youngster will do fine and is of a good size then anytime after a couple of months grace at the start of the doe season is ok for the most. I won't shoot adult does before december generally but I take the young ones once in season. There's not a lot of weight in them but it's the right thing to do for piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    If you think the youngster will do fine and is of a good size then anytime after a couple of months grace at the start of the doe season is ok for the most. I won't shoot adult does before december generally but I take the young ones once in season. There's not a lot of weight in them but it's the right thing to do for piece of mind.
    I agree with Paul, I will take adult does earlier in the season but only if I have managed to cull the kid first[Roe]
    Red are slightly different as kid will usually stay long enough to get a shot after killing the hind or will return fairly soon to the place where its mother was shot [open hill] Red's in woodland would treat the same as Roe.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I shot a Roe Doe and Doe kid a few weeks ago, the kid was 14.1kg, very healthy indeed. A couple of weeks later, I shot a Doe Kid who struggled to reach 9kg, they were shot within 200m of each other.

Had the lone Roe been a Buck, yes, I think I would have shot it/him. Clearley was struggling with the 3-4 weeks of snow and hard frost, no fat on any internal organs, the haunches were all receided as was the saddle, I suspect it had been orphaned early in the year, probably by an RTA as the ground is part of a 10,000 Acre Deer Management Group so I don't think the Doe Mum would have been shot without the youngster.

I'm not a fan of shooting older Does after the end of February, but will. I would endevour to shoot young Does (1st year), as I don't particularly like pulling feotices out when gralloching.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I presonally would never shoot a doe first. Other may disagree, but I think it is unethical. Presuure of delivering cull figures is not really convincing for me...
    A few days ago I spotted a doe and kid. Shot kid first even it was at 14kg almost the size of a doe (15kg). The doe run to the forestry barking, but I stayed put and she came out again after a few minutes just to see what happened to the kid.
    If I see a doe with two kids I always take smaller first. It they are opposite sex, I shoot a doe first. In my opinion most of roe population have higher ratio of does anyway as people tend to overshoot bucks and leave does.

Greg
    Last edited by glogin; 06-01-2011 at 09:10. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Will not state my own personal thoughts on the subject at the moment.
    and why not may i ask.

It really depends on your cull plan i have a few bits of ground that could do with more deer on them . So i will remove any unwanted deer old weak and any small bucks. On other ground it is a case of the Forestry Company want no deer at all as the trees are under 5 years old and in that case i go for full wipe out. Kids before christmas first if the doe stands she gets the news also but after the new year it is big doe first and kids if they stand. I dont like shooting big pregnant does so try and have my culls done by 1st March and just pay visits to the vulnerable ground .Ps bucks get it also on the vulnerable areas no mercy for the first 5 years.

hi six,

with the zero tolerance policy how do you overcome seasons in that first five years.
    Is it under a out of season licence

f.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    and why not may i ask.
    just to get others points of view from scratch, rather than people starting to agree or disagree with mine, and the subject sidetracking. don't worry, my views are not very controversial, but some migh argue I'm overly sensitive or moral on certain subjects relating to pregnant does or yearlings

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    I presonally would never shoot a doe first. Other may disagree, but I think it is unethical. Presuure of delivering cull figures is not really convincing for me...
    A few days ago I spotted a doe and kid. Shot kid first even it was at 14kg almost the size of a doe (15kg). The doe run to the forestry barking, but I stayed put and she came out again after a few minutes just to see what happened to the kid.
    If I see a doe with two kids I always take smaller first. It they are opposite sex, I shoot buck first. In my opinion most of roe population have higher ratio of does anyway as people tend to overshoot bucks and leave does.

Greg
    greg can i ask why you would take the buck first if the population is mainly does,just curious as im new to this so genuinly interested ,atb wayne