Thread: Bigger magnification.

Bigger magnification.

Hi guys,I have a leupold m8 6x42 on my Tikka .243.I'm in my fifties and eyesight not so sharp as it was.The leupold is crystal clear and would not want to lose this for the extra magnification.However budget is limited so any recommendations for a bigger scope that is reasonably priced?.I have heard a Burris Fullfield is a good option.Jimmy

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    You'll get a second 8x56 Schmidt non illumunated for around 350 on a private sale.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I concur with TJ, not a fan of the poor eye relief in Yank scopes but might be the shape of my nugget.

Get a S&B 8x56 and the jobs done. Just watch you dont get a 30mm tube or you will need new mounts.

Any other european fixed powers will do like meopta,docter, zeiss or swarovski but if you are on a budget the Hungarian S&B is hard to beat for deer stalking.

I am biased though as I have two S&B and they are one of the top scopes in the world IMHO.

And if it messes up send it back under the 30 year warranty, canny go wrong.

The Burris Fulfield II are pretty good. I have that on my .308. Has a nice reticle and the optics are sharp.

The funny thing is that the Americans, or a lot of them, claim that the European scopes are the ones that lack eye relief?

Eye relief, along with most everything else, must be bigger in the states?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Great stuff!thanks for the advice.Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordjohn View Post
    Great stuff!thanks for the advice.Jimmy
    Before you go off half-cocked Jimmy, I should tell you that the Leupold M8 6x42 has longer eye-relief than Schmidt & Bender fixed 6x or 8x models by at least 40mm.....which is significant.

I have both makes on my rifles, and you have to move the eyepiece much further forward in the mounts when setting up Leupold fixed powers. Apart from a few extra minutes of clarity in near darkness I haven't found anything special in S&B fixed-power 'scopes...they are far heavier to lug around. My eyesight is failing with the years but I'm not sure that some rinky-dink German variable with a big trumpet and 16x magnification is going to deliver the answer here..

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Before you go off half-cocked Jimmy, I should tell you that the Leupold M8 6x42 has longer eye-relief than Schmidt & Bender fixed 6x or 8x models by at least 40mm.....which is significant.

I have both makes on my rifles, and you have to move the eyepiece much further forward in the mounts when setting up Leupold fixed powers. Apart from a few extra minutes of clarity in near darkness I haven't found anything special in S&B fixed-power 'scopes...they are far heavier to lug around. My eyesight is failing with the years but I'm not sure that some rinky-dink German variable with a big trumpet and 16x magnification is going to deliver the answer here..
    Huh? run that by me again?

Now yes I do have a S&B 6x42 made before they came out with the Hungarian ones and it's not heavy by any means!

Likewise the Meopta 7x50A that I have is alo quite light and in fact it surprised when I first acquired it used. Now on the other hand the Leupold scopes have not impressed me with their optics..

Any older Kahles Helia 8x56, Zeiss Diatal 8x56, Docter 8x56 or S&B 8x56 are good choice.