.22 Hornet Reloading !

just

Hi, just done my first ever bullet for my Hornet !!:p Not sure i'll fire her though !!:rolleyes: Didn't quite manage to get the full 13 grains into my Winchester brass as recommended by Hodgdon manual, only 11.5 grains !! Is it safe to compress the bullet in on the powder !? Choice of bullet head was a Sierra BlitzKing 40 grain wich looks ridiculously set in too far to reach the recommended lenght of 1.750, which still does not fit my CZ 527 Mag !!!!!:eek::cry:

hornet reloads

Hi mate,I wouldent mess about with compressed loads, try this,35 gr vmax under 12.3 grns h110 [max load] rem small rifle primer,awesome little round drops charlie like a stone at up to 200 yds,dont reduce your starting load by more than 3 % WITH H110, lil gun is also a superb powder for hornet reloading an you cant get enough in a case to be dangerous,but the above load neck sized only realy suits my cz 527 easy sub half inch groups @ 100 yds try it mate youl'l like it cheers HORNET

Hi, just done my first ever bullet for my Hornet !!:p Not sure i'll fire her though !!:rolleyes: Didn't quite manage to get the full 13 grains into my Winchester brass as recommended by Hodgdon manual, only 11.5 grains !! Is it safe to compress the bullet in on the powder !? Choice of bullet head was a Sierra BlitzKing 40 grain wich looks ridiculously set in too far to reach the recommended lenght of 1.750, which still does not fit my CZ 527 Mag !!!!!:eek::cry:

Yeah... That's the wrong bullet for the CZ 527 if you want it to feed. That was designed for other calibers or guns. If your dealer recommended it then they were off their professional rocker.

In general, compressed loads are OK with appropriate powders BUT it can be carried too far. If that load looks ridiculous, than is probably isn't right. If you are talking Lil Gun, and you have the base of the bullet below the neck / shoulder junction, I would hesitate to shoot these rounds.

What powder did you use???~Muir

PS: CZ's require around a 1.725" OAL to function cleanly.

The warning with H-110 is usually attached to revolver loads, not the Hornet. The problem is inconsistent ignition, not catastrophic events. Light loads of H-110 in revolvers or large capacity cases is frowned upon.

I like H-110 , but second in line to Lil Gun. I've been reloading the Hornet for many decades and Lil Gun is the best powder I've ever seen weighed in the balance of power and pressure.~Muir

Thank you Lads ! Yeah, the dealer recommended the bullets !! are you saying i should go for .223 rather than .224 !? Can't get my head round these 13+ grain loads and having to compress the powder !! Scary:-| is it safe !? Thank's...

"Compressed loads" per se are not inherently "dangerous". However, one should NEVER load outside their knowledge base. If you don't have a mentor, (internet "mentor" doesn't count), that can guide you, and you are uncomfortable with ANY reloading procedure, you should not use it until you can satisfy yourself that it is safe.

Regards,
Paul

Thank you Lads ! Yeah, the dealer recommended the bullets !! are you saying i should go for .223 rather than .224 !? Can't get my head round these 13+ grain loads and having to compress the powder !! Scary:-| is it safe !? Thank's...

No. Not .223 bullets! (Your dealer is really far behind the times.)There are fine bullets that are available in shorter lengths. The 35 grain V-Max is excellent and one of the most accurate bullets you can use. Midway was marketing a 34 grain HP under their own label that is wonderful. The bullets you are using can be loaded single shot but shouldn't be loaded to 1.720" in the Hornet. Paul is correct: There is nothing inherently dangerous about compressed loads, but when the bullet has 1/3 it's length into a compressed supply of relatively quick burning powder it can cause a problem. I am still not clear: We are talking Lil Gun?? If so, note that I seat a 35 grain V-Max to magazine length after tapping the full, 13 grain loaded case against the bench to settle the powder. This allows about 1/16" of free space to start the bullet into. The load is perfectly safe and at Hodgdon's listed maximum....only because it's damned hard to get more in the case. I am told Remington brass will digest 14 grains but haven't tried them yet. If you look at the Hodgdon site, you'll see that the max Lil gun charge's pressure is only 24.6K verses 41.4 K for the max load of H-110. One of my big reason's for liking Lil Gun! High speed, low pressure. Long brass and barrel life!

[Oddly, Hodgdon's velocities for the full Hornet load with the V-Max (2860 fps) are a tad low compared to the four Hornets I have tested this load in: All of these have clipped 3000 fps.]

My advice is to find a box of 35 grain V-Max and give them a whirl. You won't be disappointed. Until then, load those 40 grainers out to about a caliber's worth of seating depth and shoot them single shot. They will shoot fine.~Muir

I actually, or to more accurate my rifle, prefer the 40 grain to the 35 grain V-Max and the velocities are usually in the 299? fps bracket, that is with 13.1 grains of Lil' Gun. I have found that I can get more powder into Remington brass than Winchester, thinner brass?

John

Hi ! Got half a dozen done tonight !! 40 grain sierra's seated at a depth of 5.5 mm, with 13 grains of Lil Gun !! I'll give em a go on sunday, will let you know how they went ! Thank you..

Back