Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deer stalking with 25-06 calibre

deer stalking with 25-06 calibre

Does anyone out there have an opinion on this calibre for deer

look forward to your replies

Good calibre, at its best for smallish deer at longer ranges, can be a bit harsh on meat close up though

S

With the correct choice of bullet it is 'enough gun' for anything you will encounter in the U.K up to and including southern woodland reds. It will deal with the li'l deer equally well with the correct choice of bullet. In short you will not feel over/under gunned anywhere. It can bark a bit but is easily tamed with a moderator. Recoil is not harsh but is a bit more than .22s and .243s. It is a super flat varmint round with 85g class bullets and barrel life is measured in 1000s.
    Everyone should have a 25-06 at least once in their life.

Used the .25-06 for years shot everything from Fox to Big Red's and Wild Boar. I use 75gr V-MAX for Fox and Vermin 117gr Round Nose Hornady or 120gr Nosler Partition for ALL Deer. Would not swap the .25 for NOTHING. But i will say can be hard to source Factory Ammo also can be a bit finicky to get to shoot, but again stick with it an im sure you will get a Load to suit your Rifle

Callum Ferguson at Precision Rifle Services recommended H4831SC in this calibre to me when I got mine years ago. I followed his advice and ended up also using 100grn Hornady SP for everything including rutting Sika stags. Every rifle and load is different though as already alluded to...

I agree with the above posts mate, its a cracking do it all calibre. I sold a couple of my rifles to fund a Tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06...........on top is a Swarf 8x56 and a T8 moderator. I have tried the 117 + 115 grain Federal rounds. Both shot 'ok' but after much arsing around I have settled on Federal 100 grain B/T's...........they shoot great out my rifle and are as flat as a pancake. I zero 1.5 inch high at 100 yards which gives me a 200 yard shot with no holdover. I dont much care for shooting deer any further out than that but I know from others on the site {who know much more than I} that the 25-06 will reach out much further if need be. ....................PS if I were changing my rifle I would opt for a 24 inch barrel instead of the 22'' on my T3.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    Used the .25-06 for years shot everything from Fox to Big Red's and Wild Boar. I use 75gr V-MAX for Fox and Vermin 117gr Round Nose Hornady or 120gr Nosler Partition for ALL Deer. Would not swap the .25 for NOTHING. But i will say can be hard to source Factory Ammo also can be a bit finicky to get to shoot, but again stick with it an im sure you will get a Load to suit your Rifle

Ment to mention, stalkerboydy is correct, trying to find factory ammo is a royal pain in the ass.

Regular Poster
    Excellent cal for both 85 and 100+gn bullets esp if you homeload but if not try Prvi Partizan as with two different makes of rifles I found I could easily get 1" or less grouping and at the price of the ammo it makes for cheap shooting. With Kranks being 1/2 way up/down the country get permission for a 1000 put on your FAC and take a trip to see them.

Only problem is not being able to find a left hand one if you are so afflicted and then a short action is a boon as the long bolt throw of a righthander 25-06 tends to give a bloody bridge to your nose on a quick second shot - I have now progressed to a 25WSSM and am a lot happier, with much less bruising.

Educate me a bit lads.................I read a lot on this site about Prvi Partizan rounds...................what are they exactly, who makes them and where can I get some to try them?

Cadex100. I could not get a 22" Barrel mine is a 20". Have to confess to being a bit of a Tart when it comes to Zeroing my Rifle Mine with IMR4831-52.5gr and 117gr Hornady Round Nose Printing 1/2" High at 100yrd is 1-1/4 Low at 200yrds. I zero ALL my Bullet weight's in Both the .25-06 an .300 Win Mag to shot 1/2 (measured) High at 100yrds