Thread: long range shooting venue

long range shooting venue

Hi folks, me and a few mates thinking on going to the long distance range that was advertised a few months ago in a lot of the shooting press. I remember it was in Wales but thats about all. Has anyone been there and was it worth it.

Cheers in advance

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Hi folks, me and a few mates thinking on going to the long distance range that was advertised a few months ago in a lot of the shooting press. I remember it was in Wales but thats about all. Has anyone been there and was it worth it.

Cheers in advance
    I suspose it all depends on what you want from the experience,if your going with a few mates for a day out to shoot steel targets thats fine or do you want to go and be shown what to do to hit targets at long range.
    i know a few people that been but all have been into long range shooting,they were taught nothing they didnt already know but had a laugh and a good day out.
    if you want to know what to do to shoot long range they can probably help you,but if you have enough land yourself to shoot on just put some targets out and learn about it yourself and save over 100.

we travelled over in october past and i learned more during the day than i would have in a year banging away on a diy range at home. I would recommed it as a great day out with targets from 100m to 1000m available. a few mates and myself are heading back over in april for another bash, just bring plenty of ammo with you .

it is the WMS range in wales

keith

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post

Cheers in advance
    where are you, there are quite a few long ranges 100-600+ yards about. Depending where you are. Get a few buds together, organise a day out, for a few quid booked in advnace, maybe a army / club range is closer.

Monty,
    pay the money and go,the knowledge that you will acquire will be worth every cent.
    Had a friend who recently went(already into LR),he came back with info that you just cannot gain on your own..
    What you will learn is wether or not you and your equipment is upto scratch.
    I must warn you that it is very addictive.

regards
    griff

Ive shot at WMS a few times, the ranges available and locations of firing points make such a varied course of fire, I defy anyone who goes not to learn from the experience.

You can shoot bettween 50 - 2000+ mtrs.

You can shoot at steep angles - downhill.

Timed, seated, standing, small target, large target, steel plate animals, clays, balloons, stress (hostage) target, etc etc etc

The cost is usually 75 GBP per person for groups of more than 3 I think - well worth it.

Andrew who runs the venue is very knowlegable and will assist if needed, he generaly joins in and shoots a Mauser M03, he hits most things he shoots at most distances.

The venue is such that u can drive to the various firing points in most vehicles and the way the winds blow, you will never visit the place and shoot the same conditions.

Ive been there in 40mph crosswind and seen fellow shooters engage plates (12") at 900 mtrs with a 22BR and hit it first time.

Yea, worth a visit, yeah u will learn.

Better than shooting your own ranges because its totally different and puts you out of your comfort zone.

I go back in April too....

Thanks for that folks, am just going to email them and find out prices.