Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing carcasses from Northern Island to England

Importing carcasses from Northern Island to England

Morning All,

I might be going over to NI for a spot of deer stalking. And it occurs to me that it's part of GB. I suspect that it'd be a problem to import any carcass/meat from Eire to England, but does anyone have any knowledge/experience/advice re bringing it over in my car via the ferry from NI.

I doubt i could fly it back - i suspect the airport authorities might not take kindly to a trail of blood from my suitcase :o)

Any help much appreciated

Scrun

I travel back and forth to Northern Ireland a fair bit and always with the car on the ferry. Although I've never tried to bring over a full carcass I have travelled with various butchered items and dead ducks, geese etc. I've never had a problem in doing so and I don't see why it should be, although I've never felt the need to declare my six pounds of beef sauages and vegetable roll to the harbour staff!

Quartre it and bag it will cool blocks, shouldn't be a problem.

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    I checked this some time back when I was culling deer in Southern Ireland, even from there it was not a problem.
    As Northern Ireland is in the UK I dont think there is an issue, Customs gave me all the info I needed tho, this was what they sent me:

Thank youfor yourtelephone enquiry regardingthe import of a deercarcasswhich you have advised is for your own personal consumption, into the UKfrom the Republic of Ireland.
    I can confirm that as this is for personal consumptionyou can bring it in from another EU member state.I have attached a link to our website where you may find further information on personal imports. You may wish to contact Customs & Excise for their import requirements. Their contact details can also be found at this link:
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/default.htm

Thanks both for your replies. At least if I print out the info from the link i'll have a good position to argue from if there is any trouble

ATB

Scrun

I checked this some time back when I was culling deer in Southern Ireland, even from there it was not a problem.
    As Northern Ireland is in the UK
    Do I understand this correctly that "Southern Ireland" is not part of the UK?

Just trying to learn about 'you guys'.

Regards,
    Paul

Hi scrun63. I've bought a carcass in from the other direction on the P&O. Never had a problem. Again up to you as to declare or not. Which part on Northern Ireland are you stalking at? Also taken carcass from ROI to NI regularly. All the best in you trip. You'll like the NI people.

Gadget and I regularly cross from Eire to Pembroke with a boot full of Sika and Fallow carcasses (and the odd goat's head too) without any problems, not to mention the stinkiest Red hybrid stag on the last trip.

Just don't get caught taking gifts of reloading powders in, or those little bottles of 90% proof 'holy water' out...

A.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post
    Do I understand this correctly that "Southern Ireland" is not part of the UK?

Just trying to learn about 'you guys'.

Regards,
    Paul
    Southern Ireland, Ireland or Eire is a country in its own right. Northern Ireland or Ulster is part of the UK.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    Southern Ireland, Ireland or Eire is a country in its own right. Northern Ireland or Ulster is part of the UK.
    Interesting one this!

'Southern Ireland' only existed in name between 3rd May 1921 and 6th December 1922 after being established under the Government of Ireland Act 1920 - thereafter becoming the Irish Free State, (a self-governing British Dominion), under the terms of the Anglo-Irish Agreement, (which somewhat surprisingly at the time also included 6 of the northern Ulster counties which almost immediately exercised the option to opt out to become Northern Ireland).

In 1937 a new constitution was adopted and with it complete independence as The Republic of Ireland or Eire

Thanks ScottC and Orion. I "think" I understand. Please excuse my dull-wittedness. If I understand correctly, Eire is a "separate country" like Germany or France or Italy, etc. Whereas Northern Ireland is a 'sub-unit' (I don't mean to offend, I just don't know the correct term) of the "United Kingdom" like Scotland. Is that about right?

Again forgive my ignorance. I'm just trying to get the socio-political 'boundaries' figured.

Regards,
    Paul