Importing carcasses from Northern Island to England

scrun63

Morning All,

I might be going over to NI for a spot of deer stalking. And it occurs to me that it's part of GB. I suspect that it'd be a problem to import any carcass/meat from Eire to England, but does anyone have any knowledge/experience/advice re bringing it over in my car via the ferry from NI.

I doubt i could fly it back - i suspect the airport authorities might not take kindly to a trail of blood from my suitcase :eek:):doh:

Any help much appreciated

Scrun

I travel back and forth to Northern Ireland a fair bit and always with the car on the ferry. Although I've never tried to bring over a full carcass I have travelled with various butchered items and dead ducks, geese etc. I've never had a problem in doing so and I don't see why it should be, although I've never felt the need to declare my six pounds of beef sauages and vegetable roll to the harbour staff!

Quartre it and bag it will cool blocks, shouldn't be a problem.

I checked this some time back when I was culling deer in Southern Ireland, even from there it was not a problem.
As Northern Ireland is in the UK I dont think there is an issue, Customs gave me all the info I needed tho, this was what they sent me:

Thank you for your telephone enquiry regarding the import of a deer carcass which you have advised is for your own personal consumption, into the UK from the Republic of Ireland.
I can confirm that as this is for personal consumption you can bring it in from another EU member state. I have attached a link to our website where you may find further information on personal imports. You may wish to contact Customs & Excise for their import requirements. Their contact details can also be found at this link:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/default.htm

Thanks both for your replies. At least if I print out the info from the link i'll have a good position to argue from if there is any trouble

ATB

Scrun

I checked this some time back when I was culling deer in Southern Ireland, even from there it was not a problem.
As Northern Ireland is in the UK
Do I understand this correctly that "Southern Ireland" is not part of the UK?

Just trying to learn about 'you guys'.

Regards,
Paul

Hi scrun63. I've bought a carcass in from the other direction on the P&O. Never had a problem. Again up to you as to declare or not. Which part on Northern Ireland are you stalking at? Also taken carcass from ROI to NI regularly. All the best in you trip. You'll like the NI people.

Gadget and I regularly cross from Eire to Pembroke with a boot full of Sika and Fallow carcasses (and the odd goat's head too) without any problems, not to mention the stinkiest Red hybrid stag on the last trip.

Just don't get caught taking gifts of reloading powders in, or those little bottles of 90% proof 'holy water' out...

A.

Do I understand this correctly that "Southern Ireland" is not part of the UK?

Just trying to learn about 'you guys'.

Regards,
Paul

Southern Ireland, Ireland or Eire is a country in its own right. Northern Ireland or Ulster is part of the UK.

Hope this helps!

Southern Ireland, Ireland or Eire is a country in its own right. Northern Ireland or Ulster is part of the UK.

Interesting one this!

'Southern Ireland' only existed in name between 3rd May 1921 and 6th December 1922 after being established under the Government of Ireland Act 1920 - thereafter becoming the Irish Free State, (a self-governing British Dominion), under the terms of the Anglo-Irish Agreement, (which somewhat surprisingly at the time also included 6 of the northern Ulster counties which almost immediately exercised the option to opt out to become Northern Ireland).

In 1937 a new constitution was adopted and with it complete independence as The Republic of Ireland or Eire

Thanks ScottC and Orion. I "think" I understand. Please excuse my dull-wittedness. If I understand correctly, Eire is a "separate country" like Germany or France or Italy, etc. Whereas Northern Ireland is a 'sub-unit' (I don't mean to offend, I just don't know the correct term) of the "United Kingdom" like Scotland. Is that about right?

Again forgive my ignorance. I'm just trying to get the socio-political 'boundaries' figured.

Regards,
Paul

That's about it Paul.

The UK and Ireland have had a closely interwoven, and sadly at times troubled, relationship down the ages. If you Wiki any of the terms/names above you'll get a good perspective on how the interaction has progressed in modern times.

Please excuse 'off-topic', but just couldn't resist:

20091002_Stars_03.jpg

Regards,
Paul

Actually, I was just commiserating with respect to my own 'girth'. :) And I wish it was only what I added at Christmas...:eek:

Regards,
Paul

Gitano - - - - from some peoples' point of view, if you refer to Scotland as a "sub unit of the UK" you might be thought to be winding the Scots element up ?

I'm chuckling as I key this - but do you usualy chuck hand grenades into rooms full of nitro ?

Actually, the usual term is "The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland" The 'United' bit being England, Scotland and Wales. Wales too can get a bit tetchy about nationalism as it was only around fifty years ago that English holiday homes in Wales were mysteriously going on fire !

Ken.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I figured "sub unit of the UK" might be a bit 'inflamatory' to Scotsmen and Northern Irelanders,, but I knew I could take the flak at least. (In my ignorance, I didn't realize Wales was a distinct "sub unit of the UK" :eek:) I'm sure my ignorance is showing, but I've never been embarrassed by my ignorance. Truth is, what I don't know fills volumes. Stupidity - now that's another kettle of fish. Generally speaking, stupidity invokes short-term pain and long-term consequences.

So, I think I've got it now. Eire (separate country), Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, all just one big, happy family. :) If there are any other political units in the United Kingdom or British Isles or Great Britain, please let me know.

Regards,
Paul

In all honesty, I figured "sub unit of the UK" might be a bit 'inflamatory' to Scotsmen and Northern Irelanders,, but I knew I could take the flak at least. (In my ignorance, I didn't realize Wales was a distinct "sub unit of the UK" :eek:) I'm sure my ignorance is showing, but I've never been embarrassed by my ignorance. Truth is, what I don't know fills volumes. Stupidity - now that's another kettle of fish. Generally speaking, stupidity invokes short-term pain and long-term consequences.

So, I think I've got it now. Eire (separate country), Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, all just one big, happy family. :) If there are any other political units in the United Kingdom or British Isles or Great Britain, please let me know.

Regards,
Paul

You really dont want to know mate :D - but you've got it just about right as above. Thats what comes of having 2000 plus years of history. 2 counties still have friendly animosity about a war in the 15th century ! And we still use devisive sayings from hundreds of years ago. You might remember the trouble Bush got into when he mentioned "welshing" on a deal ? But mostly it's in good humour and when the sh*te hits the fan we all pull together. We all just like to rib each other, passes the time.:british:

Ignorant - not at all:thumb:. Lots of kids over here don't know what you've just figured out - they don't get taught "proper" history any more. I'm just pleased that you're interested enough to enquire. And as an old teacher of mine used to say " there's no such thing as a stupid question, just a stypid person that doesnt ask it"

All the best Mate

But mostly it's in good humour and when the sh*te hits the fan we all pull together.
In general, or at least up 'til now, I think one might say that of all the English-speaking nations.

Regards,
Paul

Back