Home made sticks - why?

Buchangun

I find it quite amusing that we recommend to all new guns that they spend a small fortune on some exotic glass for the top of their gun and under take an allmost spiritual process when it comes to cleaning which borders on OCD all in the name of accuracy , but when it comes to the very thing we rest our guns on for a steady shot it seems that some garden canes bound together with brown paper and string seems to be the norm!
I some time back invested a bit of money ( about £100 I seem to remember) in a decent set of sticks - a tripod setup from Bogpod . They are brilliantly stable and due to having a pivoting head allow you track a target on the sticks. I regularly range shoot of these sticks and have happily taken long shots off them - yet I regularly hear people saying that they would not take shots of sticks further than 80m - is this because home made sticks are - how should I put this tactfully - thinking - on well - shite?

Good post! I agree to a degree but some home made sticks are very good. I got sick of losing good sticks made with antler etc. I soon switched to cheap garden canes but got fed up with them braking. I know use a telescopic set which seem much better. Tried a new set from bushware with the leg that drops down to create a quad stick arrangement but they are the devil to get used to but are very good on the range.

Last edited:
I disagree. I shoot with 4 sticks to the maximum range the conditions permit, and in the following thread there is a photo of my sticks being used by a friend.

DIY shooting sticks

On a still morning I shot a fox that was sitting on its haunches looking at me at 250yds with my .243 off the 4 sticks.

Rgds JCS

I got my set from Sloans in Inverurie ( Aberdeenshire) - not sure if they have an internet shop but you could give them a call as they definately have them in the shop.

I disagree. I shoot with 4 sticks to the maximum range the conditions permit, and in the following thread there is a photo of my sticks being used by a friend.

DIY shooting sticks

On a still morning I shot a fox that was sitting on its haunches looking at me at 250yds with my .243 off the 4 sticks.

Rgds JCS

I glad to hear you are happy with your home made sticks - you've saved your self at least £100.
I have tried your design and found it good and stable on flatish ground but hard to use on steep ground - whichmost of my shooting is, I also found it very hard to track left and right with that design.
I didn't part easily with the cash for my sticks and went throug a number of home made and purchased versions before settling with the bogpod.
My point was that ther are some very poor home made and shop made sticks in use and we seem to put up with them - which we would not do if it was a dodgy scope or the saftey catch was a bit tempramental - but there is no difference realy.

I don't work for Bogpod - but do like that someone who shoots has designed the sticks - they make good walking sticks when together and when deployed settle quickly and are very stable, with the added bonus of the abillity to rotate the head indipendant of the legs make the a good bit of kit for me.

Last edited:
I find it quite amusing that we recommend to all new guns that they spend a small fortune on some exotic glass for the top of their gun and under take an allmost spiritual process when it comes to cleaning which borders on OCD all in the name of accuracy , but when it comes to the very thing we rest our guns on for a steady shot it seems that some garden canes bound together with brown paper and string seems to be the norm!
I some time back invested a bit of money ( about £100 I seem to remember) in a decent set of sticks - a tripod setup from Bogpod . They are brilliantly stable and due to having a pivoting head allow you track a target on the sticks. I regularly range shoot of these sticks and have happily taken long shots off them - yet I regularly hear people saying that they would not take shots of sticks further than 80m - is this because home made sticks are - how should I put this tactfully - thinking - on well - shite?

I can make sticks that work but cant make a scope. if i can make it i do if i cant i buy. i would shoot off the sticks to a fair distance more so since i put a mod on the rifle (sort of anchors the rifle in the sticks).

I can make sticks that work but cant make a scope. if i can make it i do if i cant i buy. i would shoot off the sticks to a fair distance more so since i put a mod on the rifle (sort of anchors the rifle in the sticks).

good point. i use the garden canes from b in a q and have borrowed extendable monopods etc from mates.

sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Last edited:
I have my own design skeleton tripod in laminated wood with adjustable pegs for kneeling and sitting should I need to:D

my home made sticks are two pieces of dowel 18mm thick and a piece of knurled 8mm bar drilled and threaded so when the bolt goes through the sticks the round bar sinks into one stick and doesnt come loos very simple weighs nothing and sturdy i painted them and love them i have used a few ally sets but find the clank when knocked unlike the dowels are silent i also have a piece of double sided velcro that is attached to one leg and wraps round both to give a single stick for walking . i have used another set of sticks that john robson uses from two fox banksticks that have a quick flick clasp to adjust and they are probably the best easy to use sticks for all heights and not very expensive to make .i will post pictures of both later as im at work at the moment,atb wayne

Firstly of all you can get a set of Pog pods for £55 pounds and secondly there crap fold up legs clincking noisey floppt bits of webing .You cannot beat a good set of home made hazel sticks bipod type no messing about and they can support you as steady as you want up hill down hill tracking if that is your thing. But i am glad you like yours and i am sure the glass on top of your rifle will still be the best money can by because if you can see it you cant shoot it but you can always try stalking in closer. ;)

Last edited:
I have a bought bipod and a bought tripod, I recently knocked up a set of quad sticks and tested them on the range last week end and to my surprise I managed an inch group at 100m with them which is way better than I have ever had off of my bought sticks. I would say there is a time and a place for example in the rut when the animals are coming in to you and often circling you do want to be able to move in to a shooting position or track them and the quad sticks are not idealy suited to that.

Dave

A set of X3M1 telescopic bipod ones only cost 25 quid. Well worth the money. Tie a bit of paracord at the top with a loop at the other end for your foot to go through, and they can become tripod sticks for those longer shots when you have time to put the para cord to use.

my DIY sticks are made from a 2 metre length o 31mm hardwood dowel, cut lengthways into two equal lengths, a bolt 9" from one end gives me the rest and a Roe or Muntjac can be slung between them.

Firsy of all you can get a set of Pog pods for £55 pounds and secondly there crap fold up legs clincking noisey floppt bits of webing .You cannot beat a good set of home made hazel sticks bipod type no messing about and they can support you as steady as you want up hill down hill tracking if that is your thing. But i am glad you like yours and i am sure the glass on top of your rifle will still be the best money can by because if you can see it you cant shooting but you can always try stalking in closer. ;)
You seem to have missed my point - that is cheap sticks or poor design sticks are just that - rubbish , I agree the £50 clanky sticks with webbing stap things are rubbish ( been there done that) . I feel that we should invest good time if we are good at making things or good money if we are not to make sure the sticks we use are up to the job.
Oh my scope - I made it out an old set of glasses and two toilet roll - its good for atleast 20 yards. lol:lol:

It doesn't matter what a set of sticks costs, whether bought or home made. The most important thing is that you become familiar with them and can use them well.

Same goes for any stalking gear. I have a 1950's parker hale rifle, 15 year old binos, a 15 year old double stalking stick (home made), jacket, hat etc etc that I have had for years. I would say that I am that familiar with all my gear that I dont have to think about any of it, it all has become just an extention of me really and I use it weekly. I have kept it all because I get on with it all and am accurate with the combo. I have always found that stalkers that are up and down constantly changing their gear never seem to be that accurate with it. At the end of the day putting the bullets where they are supposed to go- safely is what it is all about. The deer dont seem to mind what my gear looks like:)

I have used hazel sticks for a couple of years now and can't fault them.
The trouble is I am good with my hands, so good that every time a put a
set together my mates TORMENT me for them.
But as stated it, how you use your equipment that matters.

Rgds Uncle Buck :D

allan4.jpg

Well made sticks of a natural material will always win in my book dont clink and very strong this et are still going after 3 outings a week for 5 years.

roebuckallyouneed.jpg

You just cant buy sticks like these some ones got to make them. ha ha Great way to drain a beast if there are no trees near.

Last edited:
What! are you doing to that Roe buck ! Some things are better kept behind closed doors:D.

Back