Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp knives

Sharp knives

I am looking to buy a chefs choice knife sharpener, has any one go one? If you have one what model is it and how do you rate it?

What does every one else use to sharpen knives?

I have a lansky and can use a whet stone but it is a fair bit of work to get that razor sharp edge and the stone can leave nasty scuffs on a nice blade if you are not very careful.

Dave

Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker... easy to use; excellent results. It was recommended to me some 16+ years ago by Alan Wood, which was good enough for me. I guess I could think about replacing the sticks sometime, but it still performs ok after all this time.

Best

P

I have used the lansky system for quite a few years. After watching some vids on youtube learned how to use the system properly and without too much effort can keep my knifes in razor sharp condition.

as I say I can use a lansky and get good results but cant be botherd with the faffing, looking to get somthing simpler and more efficiant.

dave

I use Lansky Deluxe Diamond and Spyderco Triangle. I prefer Lansky, it's very easy and fast to use. Spyderco is good too but without diamond parts you need spend more time to make sharp blade.

Dave,

The "Chefs Choice" will chew metal off the blade to make the edge that it's set to. After that you are only using the honing "set" and (if you have it) stropping set.

Stan

Just use a stone and steel have no real probs.

Account Suspended
    Old Timer Schrade from USA

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Dave,

The "Chefs Choice" will chew metal off the blade to make the edge that it's set to. After that you are only using the honing "set" and (if you have it) stropping set.

Stan
    Smullery,
    Which one do you have? how do you rate it?

Dave

Dave,

I've got the 1520 which I primarily use for kitchen knives. As I said, the first time it will strip metal as it puts the edge angle on. After that it's just honing. Quick and easy.

Stan