Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle calibre choice dilemma.

New rifle calibre choice dilemma.

I decided to replace my primary stalking rifle with something a bit smoother, much as I like 7x57 as a cartridge, the Mauser 98 action is a bit of a clunker and I want to go for a proper left hander.

I've just found and bought myself a L/h Tikka M690 donor rifle in 25.06, to which Anglo Custom are going to fit a new Border/Archer stainless barrel.

I can't decide though whether to stick with 7x57 as I have the cases/dies etc already or whether to go for a 7mm-08 which is supposedly a more inherently accurate cartridge.

In the Tikka action I would be able to load the 7x57 up to 7-08 pressures and could potentially gain a 150-200 fps advantage. I'd also save money on reloading gear and not have to start from scratch with load development.

Your thoughts gentlemen please?

Andy

got the brass, got the reloading gear, can push the bullet faster, what good reason is there to go for the 7-08 in your case.

no brainer mate 7X57Ai

ATB

Tahr

Hmmm well I cannot see the 7-08 beign more accurate or precise than the 7x57 mauser cartridge if both rifles are shooting quality bullets suited the the barrels and both are chambered accurately and precisely.

So as Thar says it's a no brainer stick with the 7mm Mauser. I am getting 2850fps with the Hornady 139 Gr BTSP in my BSA CF2 7x57 chambered rifle. Whether to go the Improved route is another question entirely.

Account Suspended
    Do Border Barrels even have the reamer for 7x57ai?

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonandy View Post
    I decided to replace my primary stalking rifle with something a bit smoother, much as I like 7x57 as a cartridge, the Mauser 98 action is a bit of a clunker and I want to go for a proper left hander.

I've just found and bought myself a L/h Tikka M690 donor rifle in 25.06, to which Anglo Custom are going to fit a new Border/Archer stainless barrel.

I can't decide though whether to stick with 7x57 as I have the cases/dies etc already or whether to go for a 7mm-08 which is supposedly a more inherently accurate cartridge.

In the Tikka action I would be able to load the 7x57 up to 7-08 pressures and could potentially gain a 150-200 fps advantage. I'd also save money on reloading gear and not have to start from scratch with load development.

Your thoughts gentlemen please?

Andy
    See you at bisley at the end of the month Andy and you can shoot my 7mm08 and see how it feels in the shoulder,based on a 75 action.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by pierred View Post
    See you at bisley at the end of the month Andy and you can shoot my 7mm08 and see how it feels in the shoulder,based on a 75 action.
    I'm not sure if I'll make the January shoot, I have a noob friend interested. If he's keen and can get a pass out then we'll both come down.

What bullet weights are you using and what twist is your barrel?

using mainly 139g but working up a 130g barrel twist is 1-9.5
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Andy there is no point in putting a 7/08 in a long action rifle, all you get is .5" of unused magazine.

Stick with the 7x57 as you are geared up for it. If you fancy a change, the 280rem will make full used of the action / mag and might have a bit of a velocity edge over the 7x57.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular

Thumbs up

Your are wanting a left handed rifle to re-barrel to something in 7mm. Here's my 2p worth.

As you are a "leftie" you'll no doubt be expecting a loss if you ever sell it. So the desirability of its calibre to a potential buyer is irrelevant.

You've mentioned two choices. 7mm-08 or 7x57. Another has suggested 7x57AI.

My opinion is that any AI just isn't worth the bother of losing potential "slick feeding" for a gain of what? I doubt that any deer will notice it. But you will on the cost of those AI dies! Also, if it is of any relevance, a rifle chambered in 7x57AI is just as much prohibited in France as is any rifle chambered in 7x57.

So I'll dismiss the AI. You have left 7mm-08 and 7x57 in your consideration. Again here's my 2p. There is little more annoying that the "slop" of a 308 parent based cartridge in a Mauser length magazine! Plus that sill stumpy neck doesn't really lead to trying to seat the bullet "out" to take up that slack.

So, as good as it is IN A SHORT ACTION, I'll dismiss 7mm-08 as a non-runner. Just as I would prefer in a Mauser length action 6mm Remington to 243 Winchester.

But there is a "third way". The better solution IMHO! And one that doesn't cause "waves" with any FEO!

The "Cinderella" 280 Remington. I'm 100% with Claret on the wisdom of it.

Which for all practical purposes gives as good as 7mm Remington Magnum performance in a 24" barrel.

To me it is the perfect (for British AND European use) cartridge for your action that already is "set up" for a 25-06 length cartridge.

It gives. Improved performance over 7x57. It is readily available in Europe (and of course the USA) as it is in Europe used in self-loading rifles and is a better design than 7x64. Also not being 7x64 cases are CHEAP! 100 x 280 Remington from Norman Clarke will cost 30!

Dies? I bought my 280 Remington dies off eBay and paid about $30 for an RCBS set WITH Lee Factory Crimp die included! You'll easily find 280 Remington dies on eBay.

You can use any and all of you 7x57 reloading data that you accumulated (subject to the usual handloading safe practice) straight away in the 280 Remington. As a "single weight" bullet it is probably at its best with a 160 or 165 grain bullet at about 2,800fps.

What's not to like? If you want to I can send you five cases (no bullet) that you could use your existing 7x57 dies to seat a bullet in to make up some CRUDE dummy rounds to play about with in your new rifle's magazine well.

I certainly would not bother with any AI variation on the 280 Remington. PM me if you would like the cases.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 08-01-2011 at 20:23.

The last thing I needed was other cartridge suggestions!

7x57 AI is worth thinking about but maybe a bit too unusual, no big advantage over 7x57 but I'd have to change dies.

280 Rem I would never have thought of. It seems to me to be neither one thing or the other, not quite a long range magnum but still a big boomer.
    I have a 300 win mag for long range work, the 7mm is intended to be my day to day easy shooting rifle. I had a 270 win once and just couldn't get on with it, the 280 looks to be a pretty similar chambering.