level 2 stalk - shooting from the truck?

Offroad Gary

just wondered if this would count for a level 2 stalk???

roe stalking on downland with very large fields, say 500m plus wide, deer are held up in wildlife strips/small plantations which are difficult to stalk on foot but not impossible. looking for cull does to fit into criteria of managment strategy for the ground - you could spend a long time stalking upto a piece of ground which holds deer, only to find that nothing is suitable. much more productive to drive up, bump the deer and shoot them in the fields when they stop and look back - that way if you dont find a suitable doe at the first location you can move onto the next more quickly than walking on foot. obvioulsy stop truck and turn off engine to take shot, maybe even get out and use bipod on ground or bonnet.

any thoughts?

cheers

At what part of shooting from the truck is actually stalking It's the stalking abilities that your there to show to your witness not just the shooting and gralloching process .

Unless you are disabled ,therefore do not have the mobility to stalk you can still pass the level 2 you can use a stalking base IE. Highseat or a doe box or similar to prove the elements on the portfolio ,any disability must be Written down as proof .

I have always been of the opinion that the level 2 assessment comprises of a cull plan, demonstrating that you have the correct equipment for the task in hand, demonstrating your ability to stalk the ground in a safe and competent manner using the wind and natural advantages, identify the beast as per the cull plan, shoot it accurately and safely, demonstrating back stops, approach to deer after shot, making the area safe and thereafter a competent gralloch meeting hygiene requirements and demonstrating your ability to look for and identify possible disease.

I would think that shooting a deer using a vehicle as described could allow you to fulfil some of the requirement of the assessment but not all. Bumping deer into open land does not demonstrate your ability to work a piece of ground.

I wouldnt be getting out of the truck. Just set the rifle up with a digital scope and a viewer in the cab and point the gun at the deer until the crosshairs show you're on target and pull the trigger. Keeps you warm that way.
Would it pass for a level 2? Cant see why not if you planned it that way. Would it be in the spirit of level 2......nah

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmh Driving deer with a vehicle is illegal isnt it.
Using a stationary vehicle as support isnt however

No but shooting from a moving vehicle is, so as long as it's stationery you're ok

No Garry it wouldnt .

Did you read what I put up that's it no debate if you have further problem with it phone DMQ and speak with Nick lane this was his interpretation on what I asked at the AW briefing.

Your vehicle can only be used as a highseat or a doe box quite plain.

roe stalking on downland with very large fields, say 500m plus wide, deer are held up in wildlife strips/small plantations which are difficult to stalk on foot but not impossible. looking for cull does to fit into criteria of managment strategy for the ground - you could spend a long time stalking upto a piece of ground which holds deer, only to find that nothing is suitable. much more productive to drive up, bump the deer and shoot them in the fields when they stop and look back - that way if you dont find a suitable doe at the first location you can move onto the next more quickly than walking on foot. obvioulsy stop truck and turn off engine to take shot, maybe even get out and use bipod on ground or bonnet.

any thoughts?

cheers

any thoughts? yes obviously they don’t know, you know how to pull there chain.:rofl:

ATB

Tahr

any thoughts?

cheers
Yes that would be acceptable but would only constitute part of an ICR
you would still need to stalk a chosen beast to complete that relevant section also
so no point really doing a drive by as if you are paying an AW it may cost you more in the long run
but in my eyes I would not entertain doing a drive by L2 witnessed ICR
as I see no point in it and it is not the way I envisaged on how a L2 ICR should be completed

I suppose that was the problem
it took Gary 8 days to find a deer for his L2 and when he got there out of breath, it was not the one he was after:D:D

I have tried driving deer but I have never got them to get in the car. I have offfered them sweets and asked them if they wanted to see some puppies but nothing. Any suggestions?

Dave

Last edited:
try carrots
It works on donkeys especially if you are driving up the rear:oops::oops:

OOOOPPPPSSSS to much info

Back