Vacuum flask

thomas

Anyone got any recommendations for a good vacuum flask?

I purchased a Stanley flask a while ago, which is next to useless! Back to the van today after a few hours in the high seat for a cup of very slightly warm coffee!! Not good!

ATB

Tom

Is your Stanley an Alladin industries one from Nashville or manufactured elsewhere?(check the bottom of the flask)
Thermos are quite good but nowt beats a stanley original

I had a Stanley more than 20 years ago and it was fine but I've had a couple more recently and they were rubbish, I can't think what they have changed about them, probably, like so many things, just reduced the quality of the materials to maximise the profit. Now I have gone back to glass flasks, you can get pretty robust ones from Tesco for a fiver and they actually keep things hot!

I had one of those mug sized flasks once, it was ideal and did work but I lost it. I bought another and it only keeps black coffee hot for an hour or so.

JC

her indoors got me a Stanley for Xmas drank some left flask in truck all night next day still hot enough to drink you must have a bad un

ATB Paul D

1. Pre-heat flask first with a drop of boiling water and then empty.
2. If using milk, warm it up in the microwave before adding (not boiling though).
3. Leave an air gap and keep flask the right way up if possible.

I spent many months in Norway in mid winter and picked up a few 'flask tips'!
MS;)

1. Pre-heat flask first with a drop of boiling water and then empty.
2. If using milk, warm it up in the microwave before adding (not boiling though).
3. Leave an air gap and keep flask the right way up if possible.

I spent many months in Norway in mid winter and picked up a few 'flask tips'!
MS;)

Did you test it with your elbow to make sure it wasn't toooooooooo hot ;)

I have had two proper Stanley flasks in two years, they have both failed. Returning them is not easy in the UK.

Simon

I have had two proper Stanley flasks in two years, they have both failed. Returning them is not easy in the UK.

Simon

Hi there Simon if I were you buy a cheap but decent flask from tesco,I too had 2 stanleys not keep things hot for 1/2 an hour,hey presto tesco flask keeps it warm for 12 hours,just a normal thermos

I thought it was just me! I've also had "issues" with tepid coffee from an old Stanley. But as others have said you need to start HOT! So that pre-dosing rinsing with boiling water to warm it up is advice I also follow.

Forget flasks, get a jet boil and have a piping hot brew in 90 seconds! Why have a stale brew or scoff when you can have fresh?

I must admit to using Tesco's own nowadays and never any probs. there are about 6 lying about the house. Got the wife a nice pink one for her xmas so she will leave mine alone! You have to 'programme' them first to get the best out of any flask.

I've got a "Thermos" made in Battsville USA, .99 litre that providing you preheat will stay scorching for a good 12 hours but will get progressively cooler as you draw off. PS it's stainless, full of dents and must be 12 years old and still as good as the day I bought it...callie

Last edited:
I've got a "Thermos" made in Battsville USA, .99 litre that providing you preheat will stay scorching for a good 12 hours but will get progressively cooler as you draw off. PS it's stainless, full of dents and must be 12 years old and still as good as the day I bought it...callie

I also have a stainless Thermos made in the U.S.A. had it for forty years, I received it as a gift, they were not for sale in this country at that time, still works perfect, but I broke the cup a few years ago could not get a cup to fit as the threads are different to the ones sold here wrote to Thermos U.S.A and they sent me a new cup free of charge, can't be bad!

I brought an Aladdin Adventuer in October 2003 from an outdoor store near the Bus station in Crawley Sussex. It keeps stuff hot although I have not used it for a few months now. I know it keept the hot choclate hot all day on my trip to Missouri. yeah I don't drink coffee and tea froma flask is awful.

Back