Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler????

Tumbler????

Evening all,

Firstly a big thanks for the assistance with my last thread.

Now i have got all the kit i think i need except a tumbler.

I would prefer not to purchase one due to the added expense, is there a good way of hand cleaning the cases without damaging them?

Cheers

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Sako,

No tips for hand cleaning, but maybe have a look at some of the recent threads on ultrasonic cleaners. Quite a few people are using them with good results. There are some available at very good prices from the supermarkets and online.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for that. I had never heard of them being used in reloading.

Cheers

Rob
    243Sako

Rob,

I think you have to put a value on your time too. If you are loading any number at all hand cleaning will be seriously time consuming and tedious. Whether you opt to tumble or use ultrasonic there is a lot to be said for chucking a load in and just leaving it to clean! A second hand tumbler might cost a little bit? But how much is half a precious day off with a test tube brush, a tube of metal polish and a rag worth?

That said, the most efficient way I can think of doing it semi-manually is to buy a case holder/drill adapter (like the 'lock stud you get with the Lee case trimmer) then clamp each case in, stick brush inside case with one hand and spin drill with other hand to clean the inside, then hold cloth on outside of case with some sort of polish and spin again.

e.g. here:

You could trim and clean in one operation

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 08-01-2011 at 21:26.

Hi Alex,

You make a very valid point! I think i will try the ultra sonic method, are the jewelery cleaner fluids like "sea clean" suitable for the job?

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    Hi Alex,

You make a very valid point! I think i will try the ultra sonic method, are the jewelery cleaner fluids like "sea clean" suitable for the job?

ATB

Rob
    243Sako
    I'll have to defer to the ultrasonic experts on that one. I've personally not had very good results with ultrasonic cleaning. Whether it is do with our hard water here (water marking, cavitation marks etc) or the way I was doing it I don't know but I know my tumbler gets them clean and shiny in the end, even though it takes many hours!

Alex

If you decide to go down the route of tumbling, the best media to use is the red coloured stuff, it has a sort of jeweller's rouge in it, Range trash, to better than factory bright in under four hours, for a load of around 60 x .223.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've got a tumbler so leave the cases with me and I will get them clean for you. Give me a shout. New media arriving on Monday.

Good shooting
    Donovan
    Donovan

FEAR NOT THAT WHICH YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER

I have a cheap Ultrasonic cleaner (Think Aldi are selling one at the moment) this brings them up well but prob not as shiny as a tumbler but does get inside too. At the end of the process I give them a quick rub with a cloth and light amount of brasso. They come up great.

I have a cheap Aldi ultrasonic cleaner and also a tumbler. While I generally use the tumbler the ultrasonic cleaner is more useful for smaller cases such as the .222. For years I simply washed my cases in hot water with washing up liquid and then rinsed them off before drying, they weren't shiney but then again they don't need to be. If anything we tend to overclean cases there are benefits in the cases being able to grip chamber walls better if they aren't over smooth.
    Brasso is a very effective cleaner but shouldn't really be used on rifle cases because of the ammonia element in the product, so I am told.