My new driven boar gun.... opinions?

Paul at Fechan

After seeing shotgun slugs for boar and having pigs come quite close in Bulgaria an idea popped into my head after being faced with a dozen odd pigs at close range and only managing two shots off before they got back into cover that my semi-auto beretta could kick some ass.

Here we go... now I love my beretta a390 and sticking a red dot auto brightness sight on top of a weaver rail screwed down onto the barrel rail might offend people. But the fitting is sound and the sight is only 2.6 oz so it's not going to harm the rail.

P1070389.jpg

What do you think!
:love: :cuckoo: :evil:

ps. thanks for the heads up on the sight on ebay John :thumb:

Its the way to go paul if its the way you want to go with slugs as they shoot like rainbows and having a dot over a rib is better as you can zero it at a range you expect the pigs.
It would be better on an 8 shot though.

It works, I run a Benelli M1 super 90 7 shot with a scope mount from midway and a 2x32 diamond ret with red dot scope can get consistent 3-4" groups at 60 yards and the dot on its brightest setting is usefull on moving shots.

Got to be the ultimate short range weapon. Would quite like to be behind you when you happen upon a group. Does the action take away some of the recoil. I have a combo with a 12 bore barrel and although I have some slugs I have yet one and have no idea what to expect.

Ah but! I'll be taking the .375 as well! :D. Nothing like getting to a peg and having choice.... I hope it's allowed :eek: never though about that.

Stan ... I can see these wood jokes are going to stick :lol:

Yeh, I got a pig in Bulgaria with rifle which was great but I found on some of the pegs that with the range you could see pigs into the trees a shotgun would have been better. The rifle though for anything more open with a little distance is the tool for sure.

Last edited:
That is unless you get a rifled tube (barrel) for the shotgun.

The idea has appealed to me but that is as far as it's got what with the Firearms Licensing Officer being like she is. I can hear the screams now with me just thinking about it.

I do happen to have a nice 50's vintage FN Auto Five no a nice hastings rifled barrel would be a treat .......................................... in my dreams.

I cannot afford trips after Boar so a dream it will likely remain.

And some nice sabot slugs to make the barrel work properly! Although I hear that those Sauvestre fin stabilised ones do quite well out of a smoothbore. Anyone tried them?

The idea has appealed to me but that is as far as it's got what with the Firearms Licensing Officer being like she is. I can hear the screams now with me just thinking about it.

I do happen to have a nice 50's vintage FN Auto Five no a nice hastings rifled barrel would be a treat .......................................... in my dreams.

No real advantage would be gained.
They are the size of an upturned coffee table and usually within 30m's. Smootbore would be fine.
Longer shots a rifle without question is the answer.
A bonded bullet will penetrate well and also expand.

Last edited:
Yeh coffee table's indeed :scared: The slugs that are fancy are great but the ones out of a lee mould will do just fine at the cost of some trap catridges and a bit of scrap lead.

Sorry Brithunter but wouldn't a rifled barreled pump or semi-auto become a section 5 ? Even fitting a rifled choke on a pump or semi-auto in this country would be a no no. You can of course have a rifled barrel or choke tube on a break action shotgun though that would then become a section 1 firearm. Short barreled double slug guns are quite popular in Europe (rifled barrels).

Orion, I often read a French website devoted to Wild Boar hunting where Sauvestre slugs and bullets are sometimes mentioned. Neither seem to have been well received for some reason, and in particular the Sauvestre bullets have come in for a lot of criticsm. I have often wondered about trying the bullets but for some reason they have never been imported into this country possibly because of the construction of the bullet with a central penetrator core.

Last edited:
Orion, I often read a French website devoted to Wild Boar hunting where Sauvestre slugs and bullets are sometimes mentioned. Neither seem to have been well received for some reason, and in particular the Sauvestre bullets have come in for a lot of criticsm. I have often wondered about trying the bullets but for some reason they have never been imported into this country possibly because of the construction of the bullet with a central penetrator core.

That's interesting, can you pm me a link to the site? I've got a shed load of cheap S&B 12 bore slugs that do a very good job through my Mossberg 500, but I've had a hankering to try the Sauvestres - maybe I'll just save my money! :D

Have you test fired the gun with slugs yet? Try a few different sorts and see how it groups.
My Remington 870 has a 20" barrel with I/C choke and shoots S&B slugs into 2" at 50 mtrs with open sites.
I tried to order a sadle mount last week from the USA so i can mount a aimpoint site but they will not send the mount to Sweden:(.

My friend uses Sauvestre out of his Beretta 687 20 bore with devastating results. Good clean kills up to 70/80 metres. http://www.sauvestre.com/

I like the "original brenneke" . Very accurate out of most "non chopper lump" barrels.
I tested 4 Beretta's with Legia and Rottweil Brennekes and all where very accurate.

If your barrel would shoot the sauvestres well, with the scope, you have a 80/100m boar gun. Good luck.

I was thinking of taking my multishot to poland this year, but was told it would be restricted to 3 shots,never followed it up and took a rifle as usual.

Does anyone know if this is the case????

Nell

I am not positive but think that there is a limit of three shots in several European countries when game shooting.

Back