Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: full lenght case or just neck

full lenght case or just neck

Thanks for all the help so far. The next question is why do some say just resize the neck and others say resize the whole case. What are the advantages and dis advantages of each. Can these effect accuracy or case life.

Your collective thoughts would be more than helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

hi mark i reload for my 270 and full size on my first cases and neck size to make the brass last im running a fast load so wanted to use the brass as long as possible at around fifth time i full size again and the brass is lasting well its working for me i have had only one case that i discarded as i had a small dint but i think that was from access lube in my die and didnt risk using,atb wayne

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far. The next question is why do some say just resize the neck and others say resize the whole case. What are the advantages and dis advantages of each. Can these effect accuracy or case life.

Your collective thoughts would be more than helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark
    Mark

If you can match your fired brass to the specific rifle (i.e. only really a problem if you have more than one rifle in each calibre) then consider neck sizing. Neck sizing should improve accuracy as, after the first time it is used in the rifle, the brass is then fire-formed to that specific rifle's chamber. By neck sizing you should then get better alignment of the bullet to the bore. By neck-sizing you should also get longer life out of the brass since it is 'spared' the expansion of each subsequent firing.

By logical extension, if you buy someone else's once-fired brass then you should always full-length size it before using it in your own rifle.

Note the liberal use of the work "should"...... Unless you are a bench-rest competitor I'm not sure it makes any difference under field conditions. That said, I still neck-size my own brass...just in case

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I only Neck size.

Saves me time and the brass seems to last longer.

Make sure you Trim to length!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    That is an excellent link, thanks JCS.

I only full-length resize. However, as if the above article didn't give good enough reason for this, it was also explained to me, by both a well known barrel maker and a professional reloader, that the problem that will arise is one of eccentricity. If neck sizing only, eventually you will finish up with cases that jam because of poor alignment betwixt chamber and bore i.e. between the neck and the body of case. That might not matter so much on the range, though it will spoil your day, but it most certainly will matter in the field when a follow up shot is required. It may not happen soon but, if you neck size only, it will happen.
    Last edited by Tamus; 10-01-2011 at 11:26. Reason: a

tamus surely thats why you keep account of how many times you neck size and then do a full size like i originally posted i havnt yet had a tight bolt and all my brass goes into different tubs which list how many times its been reloaded.atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    That is an excellent link, thanks JCS.

I only full-length resize. However, as if the above article didn't give good enough reason for this, it was also explained to me, by both a well known barrel maker and a professional reloader, that the problem that will arise is one of eccentricity. If neck sizing only, eventually you will finish up with cases that jam because of poor alignment betwixt chamber and bore i.e. between the neck and the body of case. That might not matter so much on the range, though it will spoil your day, but it most certainly will matter in the field when a follow up shot is required. It may not happen soon but, if you neck size only, it will happen.
    Unless you're using a straightpull action, semi auto, or typical lever action, and carry the thought to an extreme, the word "jam" is a little severe. Most bolt actions will cam in a cartridge that has been neck sized repeatedly. Once fired, the case assumes the shape of the chamber and is withdrawn easily by the same camming action. Much depends on your chamber dimensions and initial concentricity.

A way around this is a compromise between FL and Neck sizing: Set the FL siser so that it just sizes the case down to a pooint just above the shoulder. This will also partially resize the head of the case. Instructions for this "Partial Neck Sizing" used to be included with RCBS dies.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    tamus surely thats why you keep account of how many times you neck size and then do a full size like i originally posted i havnt yet had a tight bolt and all my brass goes into different tubs which list how many times its been reloaded.atb wayne
    Hi Mereside.

Please give me some credit. I did say, "if neck sizing only". Of course, if it floats your boat don't let my opinions get in the way, or give you a windmill to tilt at.

Frankly, the keeping of records is something that I prefer not to rely on entirely and if the practices followed are sound I won't need to either.

Richard Lee recommends when neck sizing to size twice, size and deprime, rotate case 180 degrees and size again, this helps with concentricity.