Thread: Moose in the Morning

Moose in the Morning

My little Scotty 'lit up' this morning, and looking out the back door I am not surprised to see a couple of moose. Here are some 'portraits' for your mid-winter viewing.

Paul

Hey Paul, only have squirrels and magpies in my back yard!
    Nice pics!
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 10-01-2011 at 08:56. Reason: spelling

And I thought the view from my house wasn't bad! Are moose good eating?

paul they are fantastic pictures you are very lucky to have those in the back yard,ps which one is going to be dinner,wayne

Account Suspended
    Paul, would I be right in thinking that, even though they are in your back yard and even if they were in season (aug 10-sept 25, depending on description, is that?) you need a license and a tag (at 400-500 $ ) before you could lawfully take your 1 moose per year, where you live in Alaska (14a?)

You can't sell the meat or barter it and you must "take" it and you must also log the hunt with the authorities. However, you can donate the meat to the charity which distributes it to the needy.

Where-as over here, if I see something (not moose obviously), on land where I have lawful authority to shoot, and it's in season I can shoot it (or any number of them). I can even shoot out of season if it/they are damaging my crops. Of course I'm free to sell the meat subject to having variously qualified to do so and then carried out inspection and I need not necessarily tell anyone about any of this if it's done on my own land (different rules apply on leased land)

If I've got all this right, I can see how you'd envy us our situation, much as we imagine we might envy you your location.

Tom.
    Last edited by Tamus; 11-01-2011 at 16:17. Reason: did more reading

Account Suspended
    Went and found this link:

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...fs/general.pdf

and then this one:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu14.pdf

I guess they've answered my questions and corrected my (mis) understandings, what a lot of rules though.
    Last edited by Tamus; 11-01-2011 at 16:25.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Went and found this link:

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...fs/general.pdf

and then this one:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu14.pdf

I guess they've answered my questions and corrected my (mis) understandings, what a lot of rules though.
    Management areas look like a real pain. You have my sympathies. Tom.

Moonraker68 - Most people find moose very good eating. To me, the same characteristic that endears them to most - "mild" flavor - sends me looking for caribou (which most people find "gamey"). The really "good thing" about moose is that you can get a year's worth of food with one pull of the trigger.

Wayne - Probably neither of these as both are females. Probably the single biggest gripe I have about game management in Alaska is the resistance to shooting females. Don't get me started - I could go on for pages. There are drawing hunts (stalking) for cows, but the odds of getting drawn are usually in the 500:1 ratio or greater.

Tom - You probably do have the answers, but just in case the ADF&G rules and regs aren't perfectly clear, let me answer your questions specifically.

1) Season is about right, but the Aug 10 start date is for archery only. Gun season starts later (usually Sept 1) and ends either on Sept 20 or 25.

2) I would need a special permit to shoot cows, but if it was a bull, and in season, I could shoot it in my yard with a "primitive weapon". I live in a "special zone" in which only muzzle loaders, shotguns with slugs, black powder firearms or bows and arrows are allowed. (The road leading up to my house is the boundary for that special area. ) If a bull, the antlers would have to have a spread of at least 50 inches or have 3 brow tines on one antler. Two years ago, I took a nice bull with the .50 Alaskan I built and made the bullets for. It was a whopping 20 paces from my freezer.

3) No cost for a "registration permit" for residents for moose. Drawing permit APPLICATIONS cost $5 for everything but bison ($10) and coastal brown bear ($10). If drawn, there is no further cost EXCEPT if drawn for one of the "urban" hunts that are held on one of the local military bases. The bases charge a $125 "access fee".

4) I, and everybody else in the state, are only allowed to shot one moose per year. There are a few animals in a few places where you can shoot more than one - caribou in a couple of remote Game Management Units (GMUs), black bear (3 per year) over about half of the state, and sitka black-tail deer (1 to 3 per year depending on GMU). Some animals - coastal brown bears and bison - you can only shoot one every four or five years, and both of those animals require winning a drawing lottery.

Here's a bull I caught in my yard this past October.

He was only interested in 'servicing' the cow with him, and let me get some god pictures. He is not legal having neither a 50" spread or 3 brow tines on either antler. I'm hoping, but doubtful, that he'll 'stop by' next year when he will most likely be only 45" but might have three brow tines.

I gratefully accept your sympathy.

Account Suspended
    Thanks for the response, Paul.

Great photos, as always.

Living right on the boundary of the management area eh?... damn! ... that must be a tough one.

Thanks, Tom.

It's not too bad 'cause I have, am "certified" by the state, and use all of those 'primitive' weapons. I generally don't "hunt" in my yard, but I make an exception for moose, (and fox ) because I have had to carry too many dead moose too many miles.

Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by gitano; 12-01-2011 at 04:59.