Thread: .17HMR Scope

.17HMR Scope

Hi,

Having just had my recent variation approved I am now in the market for a .17HMR and scope.

I have seen the BSA Sweet 17. It is supposed to be set up specifically for the .17HMR, from what I understand you zero the rifle at 100 yards. You can then use the top turret and turn to whatever the corresponding range is so you aim dead on. Sounds like a good system.

Click on the below link for details.

http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/scopes_sweet.php

I am just wondering if anyone else has used one and what they think of it. I am open to other suggestions.

Cheers

Ross

I prefer hold over to turret twisting myself.
    I went for a leupold 6-20x40 with a "varmint reticule".
    It has clear elevation marks for 100, 200 etc and windage marks for 5, 10, 15mph wind, invaluable for such a light bullet

I would personally zero at over 100yds (try an inch over at 100) as it is so flat you will be point blank anywhere inside 100 and still get the benefit of stretching it to 200yds when needed

Depends on how much you want to spend, Hawke (Deben) do a very good system, MAP 6 and 8. Similar to a mil dot but the dots are spaced to correspond with Hawkes free download. All you do is set up the rifle for say 100 yards. The Ballistic table will show you the ranges that the dots correspond with. All you do is get the range with a rangefinder put the apprpriate dot on the target and shoot!
    Not so important with the 17 but I wouldn't be without it on the 22.

I have not hear good things about the BSA scopes, a lot of problems with quality control. As has been said it all boils down to what you are willing to pay. I like American variables for varminting, I think they have hit the sweet-spot of value to performance. Bushnell, Vortex, Burris and Redfield all do nice variables at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I would personally zero at over 100yds (try an inch over at 100) as it is so flat you will be point blank anywhere inside 100 and still get the benefit of stretching it to 200yds when needed
    That is not going to work well with rabbits, flat the hmr maybe, but not that flat.
    100 yard zero means you can shoot point blank from 35 to 120 yards, depending on scope height and barrel length (so they say)
    I used to zero at 40 yards, it is then spot on again at around 140 yards, but it is just over an inch high at 80 yards, used to miss a few at the 70 to 95 yard mark.
    Now I stick to 100 yards and just hold over for long shots.

Neil.

I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 on my Sako Quad 17hmr which is a pretty decent scope for long distance rabbits & squirrels. The scope tube is quite long as well so there is plenty of room to get a gun light mounting kit on it.

I don't bother shooting it at ranges over 130yds or so unless there is next to no breeze - I stick to the 40/100 meter zero. The ballistic data for the CCI 17gr TNT HP gives a zero point at both those ranges. The Hornady 17gr V-Max has 40/110yds listed as the two zero points. Trouble is the bullet will be over 3" off with a 10mph wind @ 100yds so uless you are very precise at measuring wind speed it will be difficult getting consistant head shots on the rabbits at those distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    That is not going to work well with rabbits, flat the hmr maybe, but not that flat.
    100 yard zero means you can shoot point blank from 35 to 120 yards, depending on scope height and barrel length (so they say)
    I used to zero at 40 yards, it is then spot on again at around 140 yards, but it is just over an inch high at 80 yards, used to miss a few at the 70 to 95 yard mark.
    Now I stick to 100 yards and just hold over for long shots.

Neil.
    I know what you mean but I use a .22 for stuff under 100 yds that I want to eat.

I tend to use the .17HMR for crows (and sometimes rabbits) they are mostly in the 75-150 range (few unlucky ones closer to 200 on still days!)
    the difference in stretching the zero point from say 100 to 125 is that it almost halves the drop between 150-200. It makes that imaginary 3" target in the middle of a hoodie crow doable without holdover up to around 175 yds. just aim a little higher on the body the further out you go and pray for no gusts!