Barrel changing sauer 202

jimbo123p

I love my sauer ,270. now the question,
Pros and cons. I have not even looked out the method of barrel changing yet. Northallerton gun shop are selling .243 barrels at £550
http://www.nsac.co.uk/pre-owned rifles.htm

How practical would it be to exchange the barrel. to change, to zero, does one mag do both rounds,
advise please,
jim

I understood from my local shop that you need bolt, barrel and mag - as well as re-zeroing to the new ammo.

...might as well buy a second bloody rifle in my opinion!

All that mucking about with unknown POI testing will give you plenty excuses for wounding and missing.. as suggested just buy another rifle.

Jim, the barrel comes out of that rifle in about two minutes.

I have had it apart and reassembled half a dozen times without a noticeable loss of zero.

However, as the guys have said, a 243 will require a barrel, bolt and magazine. It will also require another scope and a set of rings. It is do-able. but it is not a cheap way to another calibre.

Now if you went for a 6.5x55 or the like, it is a barrel change only. Look on the side of the magazine for the cartridges which are compatible with the bolt and mag you have.

Cheers CD. I will have to look in to what is compatable and a like for like alternative to the 243. Might even trade in the 243 prohunter for a wooden alternative. A lot would depend on what I can get for a 3 year old, prohunter 2 with 200 rounds down the spout. 6x42 swari and 13,27 swivel bipod (Harris) T8 mod. Trouble is it probably a fraction of what I paid for the setup
Jim

Jim there is a synthetic 202 in 6.5 in the classifieds at decent money. Keep the Swaro and shift the prohunter. It has to be worth £500.

I had the other end of the stick having .243 i'd of had to get barrel,bolt and mag depending on cal but in the end it was easier to get a different rifle but i don't think you'd need another scope to do it other than swithing zero's on the existing scope.

Jim there is a synthetic 202 in 6.5 in the classifieds at decent money. Keep the Swaro and shift the prohunter. It has to be worth £500.

Think we are singing from the same hymn sheet. I ended up buying a second 202. The 243 bolt is a three lug design along with the 22.250 from memory. All the larger calibers are six lug so not interchangeable. Mags are also different. Sauer bits make my eyes water, so buying a second wasn't such a great leap up from buying a barrel, mag and bolt. I also figured if I ever had a problem with either rifle or scope a second one set up and ready to go was favourite. FYI I have a .243 and a 7x64. Stutzen, Love em both.

Last edited:
Back