Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practise off sticks

Practise off sticks

Ladies and Gents,

just curious if anyone has any great practise drills or techniques for improving the steadiness of their shooting sticks. I mean 2x, not monopod, bipod, tri-pod, quads, etc. ..just plain-jane garden cane, standing shooting sticks.

not that I'm bad with them, far from it, but I 'would' like to get steadier, and I feel someone now and again talk about being able to consistently shoot deer off cross-sticks to 200yds. personally, even when I practice a lot, I don't feel I have enough steadiness to comfortably pull the trigger past 75yds or so (but like very steady cross-hairs before I pull). I usually adopt a good angled footing, and lead 'into' the sticks (with them pointing slightly backward 'into' me), hand gripped around the V intersection, and rifle resting comfortably in the cross...

I'm pretty young and muscular, and shoot quite well both prone, sitting, off-hand, etc. but just can't seem to get the steadiness in my standing cross-stick technique that I think is possible..have searced in google, but struggle to find any 'best practice' tutorials.

any ideas/drills appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    .................... hand gripped around the V intersection, and rifle resting comfortably in the cross...
    Fore end touching against the sticks? If so it's not the way I do it. Hand firmly but comfortably gripping the V, (and rifle sling under thumb), fore end rested on top of hand but no contact with the sticks.

Other than that just practice makes you more confident, but I personally don't take standing shots off the sticks at more than 100m. Sitting/kneeling and I'll stretch out to 200m and maybe a bit more, but it's not often required with the woodland and field edge stalking I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Fore end touching against the sticks? If so it's not the way I do it. Hand firmly but comfortably gripping the V, (and rifle sling under thumb), fore end rested on top of hand but no contact with the sticks.

Other than that just practice makes you more confident, but I personally don't take standing shots off the sticks at more than 100m. Sitting/kneeling and I'll stretch out to 200m and maybe a bit more, but it's not often required with the woodland and field edge stalking I usually do.
    No, of course, don't let rifle touch the sticks - fully aware of that. I saw a site from a South African stalker, advertising that you put your hand/wrist 'into' the V, whilst holding the rifle as if off-hand.

Fieldsports TV have had quite a good series on rifle shooting with Bang, bucks and bullets - go to their website.

I have practised with my air rifle, but still wouldn't shoot roe deer beyond 75yds off twin sticks. Rgds JCS

Legs spread (yours as well as the sticks) rest the forend of rifle where the swivel stud sits (good sticks and you can throw the bipod away), hold the sticks where they piviot and lock your elbow and lean into them slightly.
    You have now made a pyrimid and will be very steady.
    As for practice get a rimmy and shoot some rabbits great practice and great fun.
    Its ok to rest the fore-end but NOT the barrel think of it as a tall bipod

I ran a competion some years back through my stalking sight 10 people entred and the chap that won was a chap called Geoff and he had 10 shots in a 4 sheet of paper size disc. The rest came close but not as good geof his group was 5 inch. The nearest to him was a 5.5 inch group so we do need to practice and we really do need to know our limitations. Me i will take a beast out to 75 but some how after that i start to look for a differnt shooting position or stalk closer.

You are probably using an un comfortable stance, just my guess on it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You do need to practice more.
    or change your stance.
    I can and do shoot head shoot rabbits consistantly to 110m's with the hmr off sticks. Also if I can kneel take foxes when on foot to 200m's with a cf.
    And will be confident on roe to 150m's if needed.

I use a stoney point bipod but would think a simular method applies i have legs out in front,grip top of poles i can lean into them making a good solid rest, rifle then rests on forend but fairly well back just in front of action,i wont say how far i can shoot comfortably like that but its bit further than 75yds.
    Neil.