So why don't we wear it

Sako 3006

Having just read an article in a magazine about shooting Whitetail deer in America.
Mike Yardley makes a statement, and I quote
"Orange clothing can be seen by humans,but not by deer"
If this is the case why don't we use it much.if at all,in this country,yet it is used quite a lot in Europe.
Does anyone use it in this country or know of anyone that does.:!:

Thats because a lot of shooting in America takes place on public land, so during the season you have many "hunters" crawling around nationl parks looking for whitetail. In most states in America you are rquired to wear "Hunter Orange" whilst hunting on public land. As we mainly stalk on private land here, you are unlikely to come across another stalker on the same patch of gound that you aren't aware of....

There is a lot written on the subject of what colours different animals can see and not see. Some only shades of greys, fascinating really considering what some people wear on the hill. However whatever colour you wear in camo it will break up the outline, black seems to be the worst colour !!!

Last edited:
personally I wouldnt want to wear bright colours so I can avoid human eyes and the problems that they often bring

In the past when moving deer in woodland towards rifles , I've had the guys wear vis-vests also when at woodcock with foreign clients, I make them wear hi vis.
We are just not used to it, although anyone in forestry or construction will be by now, you may think it looks strange but not half as bad as gunshot wound!!!!

Remember an incident , back in the 80's myself and a few other young stalkers were having a pint in the infamous Lochailort bar, a well known and very loud older stalker walked into the bar and exclaimed that my colegue Alex's gairish 80's jumper was a bit bright for the hill, in front of the gathered audience Alex replied, " When you are as good as me it doesn't matter what colour you wear!!!!"

A little away from the general direction of thread, but possibly of interest regards colour of clothing, Crows were avoiding a shooter on a field, regularly taking no notice of brightly dressed walkers, so a bright orange boiler suit was procured................ very few crows left.

Quercus struck on the reason. Plus, the nature of the 'control' of stalking in the UK affords you with the training that has been about two generations gone from the US. What you get in training here as a result of all the control, we used to get as part and parcel of our upbringing. We WERE raised with guns and the safety associated with them. As the US goes from agrarian to urban, that training is lost. Without that training, and adding the stupidity of Hollywood with respect to firearms, and some people do stupid things with guns. Slathering everyone in "hunter orange" mitigates some of that lack of training.

Regards,
Paul

Yes I understand the reasoning for wearing orange for identification purposes,but I was more interested in the fact that deer don't see the colour orange??.

Well then maybe the question should have been "Can deer see hunter orange?" as opposed to "Why don't we wear it?"

There is strong evidence over about 4 decades demonstrating the color detection ability of white-tailed deer. Less long with other species. (If you want citations, use google or some other internet search engine and enter "deer color vision". You'll get more than you can read.) Most agree that they have limited color vision. HOWEVER, contrast, not color, is a "BIG DEAL" when it comes to "detecting" something that is not moving. Movement trumps color when it comes to detection. This being recognized in the US, "camo" hunter orange vests are now common-place. The orange alerts the humans, but the "camo" pattern breaks up the contrast.

Regards,
Paul

From what I am lead to believe, deer have some colour vision but only close up and not very well. They appear to lack colour contrast (same as dogs etc) and see better in a different light spectrum to what humans see, especially UV (a bit like honey bees and most insects). However, what deer's eyes are good at is detecting movement. If you consider that the humble woodpigeon can see movement 6 times better than a human being and then multiply the size of a woody's eyes to the size of a deer's eyes then you will probably get the idea. Very often when stalking, an animal will look suddenly towards you and then take instant flight even though the wind is in your favour. It didn't smell or hear you. It saw you more than like.

Rocky

If deer couldn't see orange, then ginger stalkers would do better than non 'strawberry blondes', which they clearly don't!
But then, a deer's sense of smell is generally better than its eyesight, so maybe the advantage of orange hair is far outweighed by the smell of 'damp monkeys', twiglets, and fox ****?:confused:
MS:D
(only kidding my red headed friends!):lol:

Can they see pink i could see myself in a nice pink number and matching boots but orange nooo.:D

Typical Kernow boy ! You'll be telling us next that you go stalking with the wife's knickers on underneath the camo gear :rolleyes: (Just for luck of course !)
Rocky

Doesn't everybody i rekon your the odd one out there Rockingod you should try it make sure their not clean ones though.:lol:

You could be right there bach ! Always been a bit odd me like. :lol:(Typical Welshman eh!)

What do you think about this........ shall we run a poll on the forum to find out ?

How many members on the forum wear their wives..... etc etc whilst out stalking ?

PS...Where the hell did I put that sheep !

Rocky

You know no one will own up to it Rocky but i promise if you make it down one day i'll wear clean ones or go commando.
ATB Neil.

when first married many years ago we got back to the marrital home and i said to her indoors chucking her a pair of trousers and said put them on and she did (love her) and i said thats the last time you wear the trousers in this house she the through me a pair of her knickers and said put them on well thought i that worked well got a bit of kinky stuff going on here promptley slid them on with the words still ringing in my ears well untill you change you attitude thats the last time you get inside them cant win em all boys
ATB
Paul D

Why dont I wear orange? Well I'm english. You can't leave the colonials to keep up the standards.:british: And apart from that I dont want everyone knowing wear I am. Its supprising how many tresspassers I catch who walk past me when Im hideing in a bush.:D

Mark

Back