Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalking muntjac or feeding up a spot to get clear shot

stalking muntjac or feeding up a spot to get clear shot

hi guys i had a good look over a permission i go on over xmas when the snow was down and the wood is full of munty tracks that are very well used. i also see the the bits in the thick cover where they have lay up.

the cover is very thick but only around 50 yards into the wood. ive come across them a number of times now. but im finding it hard to get a chance of a shot

what i want to ask is if i put a block out in the open area fromt he cover would it bring them out over time so i could sit waiting for a clear shot.

i have seen them out on the fields a mnumber of times at night when out lamping for foxes. so i guess i could play the waiting game for early morning or last night in the evening to get a shot at one.

have you found the hand held roe caller work on them also ? as i hear this works on muntys to. i have just got one so might give it a try.

any help would be greatful thanks guys

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jay

Why not put out a small pheasant feeder? The munty's round here spend a lot of time eating the grain from under the feeder. What I would also say is that I see muntjac on our ground a lot more during the day than I do the roe, so don't necessarily limit yourself to morning and evening if it's muntjac you're after.

So far as the Buttolo calls, yes they do work. Just make sure that when you use it you look all around, as the little blighters can approach you silently from every angle. Also, be careful about over-using them, as you'll likely end up ruining your roe stalking (presuming you have roe on the ground as well).

Good luck!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Jay, I'm with Willie! Try a small pheasant feeder, but do put a post in the ground to stop it being knocked over. This is a hard learned lesson from me! I used kibbled maize, but wheat and barley work too. They will need some time to get used to the feeder, or at least mine did.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Put beans down that have a little molasses on them, works a treat.

Biggest problem with pheasant feeders is the verminous pheasants eat the grain leaving less for more worthwhile creatures like deer! JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Biggest problem with pheasant feeders is the verminous pheasants eat the grain leaving less for more worthwhile creatures like deer! JC
    So true

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Put it obove pheasant height by hanging from a tree bough or use longer legs!

try a salt lick ??????????????????????

Another vote for the pheasant feeder. If molasses is a favourite pick up some molychaff from a horsey type feed place. (Chopped barley straw and molasses). Put a peck and feed type feeder high enough so the pheasants can't reach it but a munty can, they are bound to learn how how to get at it.
    I did try Peanut butter and salt licks on my patch, waste of time money and good peanut butter.

cheers guys i will try a pheasant feeder. there in where the old pen was so i think there are some feeders in there i could move. and use.

as for the pheasant there isnt many around this part of the shoot anymore since the shoots in the area stopped. so the deer will be glad of a free meal.
    the male i keep seeing is very big and got a craking head on him. i hear him all the time barking