stalking muntjac or feeding up a spot to get clear shot

jay 22

hi guys i had a good look over a permission i go on over xmas when the snow was down and the wood is full of munty tracks that are very well used. i also see the the bits in the thick cover where they have lay up.

the cover is very thick but only around 50 yards into the wood. ive come across them a number of times now. but im finding it hard to get a chance of a shot:rolleyes:

what i want to ask is if i put a block out in the open area fromt he cover would it bring them out over time so i could sit waiting for a clear shot.

i have seen them out on the fields a mnumber of times at night when out lamping for foxes. so i guess i could play the waiting game for early morning or last night in the evening to get a shot at one.

have you found the hand held roe caller work on them also ? as i hear this works on muntys to. i have just got one so might give it a try.

any help would be greatful thanks guys

Jay

Why not put out a small pheasant feeder? The munty's round here spend a lot of time eating the grain from under the feeder. What I would also say is that I see muntjac on our ground a lot more during the day than I do the roe, so don't necessarily limit yourself to morning and evening if it's muntjac you're after.

So far as the Buttolo calls, yes they do work. Just make sure that when you use it you look all around, as the little blighters can approach you silently from every angle. Also, be careful about over-using them, as you'll likely end up ruining your roe stalking (presuming you have roe on the ground as well).

Good luck!

willie_gunn

Jay, I'm with Willie! Try a small pheasant feeder, but do put a post in the ground to stop it being knocked over. This is a hard learned lesson from me! I used kibbled maize, but wheat and barley work too. They will need some time to get used to the feeder, or at least mine did.

Simon

Biggest problem with pheasant feeders is the verminous pheasants eat the grain leaving less for more worthwhile creatures like deer! JC

Another vote for the pheasant feeder. If molasses is a favourite pick up some molychaff from a horsey type feed place. (Chopped barley straw and molasses). Put a peck and feed type feeder high enough so the pheasants can't reach it but a munty can, they are bound to learn how how to get at it.
I did try Peanut butter and salt licks on my patch, waste of time money and good peanut butter.

cheers guys i will try a pheasant feeder. there in where the old pen was so i think there are some feeders in there i could move. and use.

as for the pheasant there isnt many around this part of the shoot anymore since the shoots in the area stopped. so the deer will be glad of a free meal.
the male i keep seeing is very big and got a craking head on him. i hear him all the time barking

Personally I dont really think that baiting deer is very sporting, it is at about the same level as riding round in the Landy looking for them and then shooting them off the wing mirror.

Hi Jay
I work in worcester every day and have a small peiece of ground out towards knightswick,have only seen one muntjac in about 20 outings,without giving too much away is your ground,any where near this area,Regards Tone,,

Personally I dont really think that baiting deer is very sporting, it is at about the same level as riding round in the Landy looking for them and then shooting them off the wing mirror.

It probably ain't
but neither is shooting deer with a high powered rifle and a high magnifacation scope
but it works;)

Hi Jay
I work in worcester every day and have a small peiece of ground out towards knightswick,have only seen one muntjac in about 20 outings,without giving too much away is your ground,any where near this area,Regards Tone,,

hi tony yes its not far away from there mate. there is alot all over those hills at suckley
when you went on this patch of ground is there a wood on it ? if so go to the thickest part and im sure your come across them :cool:

maybe so mate but they need to be thined out in numbers. as the numbers are getting up. farmer said he wants them shot so shot they will be.

Last edited:
Jay just out of interest a guy told me he saw two roe cross the road,out at bromyard,have you any knowledge of roe sightings in your/ my permission,
Regards Tony.

i havent seen them on the farm i go on tony. but the wood over the back my friend has permission on. we have seen them in the evening well out foxing.

so i would say there is a good chance there are more all around those areas. most the roe i do see in worcestershire though have been on permissions in north worcester around hadley and rashwood areas

Try feeding an area and watching them -

Then see where they are coming from and get along the line a bit - encourage them to feed (but dont shoot the fed area) they'll continue to come for food then. I just use wheat - if you have a lot of cover and struggle for a clear shot drop some feed into a small clearing (just enough to stop them for a minute or two to feed - but dont drop to many times in the same place)..

T

I can see your point about driving round in a truck but as far as feeding goes they are going to eat something it might as well be where it will be of use. Nobody complains about a cut deer lawn with lush grass but put a salt lick in range of a highseat and its a sin. Why? surely if you put the feed where you can watch, count and shoot safely that is no differant to finding out where they are feeding and then putting up your high seat to suit?

The results the same.

Mark

Back