Ammmo prices.

crawfordjohn

Went to the gunshop today for a box of Winchester Super X 55g in .243.Dealer brought them out for perusal....aesthetically beautiful in silver, like a new car in a showroom.I'll have those I thought "how much are they?" I asked......"£34.00 " he said.I left with a box of Winchester Accutip 75g load.Even they were £27.00 !.Never mind fuel going up! the last box of Super X's I bought still gave me change from a twenty.

old picture.
RIMG02312.jpg

read it and weep.

Last edited:
I have recently paid £40 for a box of 25-06 100 grain b/t.....................home loading is on the cards.

Ha, i once owned and shot competitively a 338 lapua. A weekend shoot would often exceed 100 - 150 rounds. Even re-loading, the prices would make you sob.

You'd be prone behind the rifle, shoot a round and some smart-arse would call "there's another £2.20!"

Just happened to come across this the other day http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammunition/.375hh.html £141.90 for a box of twenty which equates to £638.50 per 100 rounds, and that's for Remington I'd hate to think what the good stuff costs. Macleod normally seems reasonable on ammo prices and often has some very good prices advertised so I am not picking them out in this only commenting on the price of factory ammo in the U.K. I just wonder what the more exotic African calibres cost to run as .375 is pretty much run of the mill in some countries.
I have a 9.3x74r and factory ammo costs for that are pretty close to that of the .375H&H, it's a rifle you don't tend to shoot a lot of, but in order to be able to shoot it becomes essential to reload even then bullets are expensive, cases I buy from Germany on e-gun.

Macleod's aren't actually stocking the Remington .375 right now, it's actually fed premium 300gr nosler partitions coming in at £89.95 for 20 I cringe when I fire it off and that's not the recoil!

Snag

That's still enough to make a grown man cry? (£449.75 : 100) :cry::cry:

Not quite the same but for the sake of conversation I just did a quick search on Cheaper than Dirt. The cheapest .375H&H listed is $35.79 (£22.99) a box and the cheapest 9.3x74r is $59.18 (£38.01) a box. Provided you can get the bullets it doesn't take long to get a return on your investment in reloading equipment does it.

Last edited:
That's still enough to make a grown man cry? (£449.75 : 100) :cry::cry:

Not quite the same but for the sake of conversation I just did a quick search on Cheaper than Dirt. The cheapest .375H&H listed is $35.79 (£22.99) a box and the cheapest 9.3x74r is $59.18 (£38.01) a box. Provided you can get the bullets it doesn't take long to get a return on your investment in reloading equipment does it.

amen !

thats why i reload my gears paid for itself in 2yrs with the amount i shoot !

Just happened to come across this the other day http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammunition/.375hh.html £141.90 for a box of twenty which equates to £638.50 per 100 rounds, and that's for Remington I'd hate to think what the good stuff costs. Macleod normally seems reasonable on ammo prices and often has some very good prices advertised so I am not picking them out in this only commenting on the price of factory ammo in the U.K. I just wonder what the more exotic African calibres cost to run as .375 is pretty much run of the mill in some countries.
I have a 9.3x74r and factory ammo costs for that are pretty close to that of the .375H&H, it's a rifle you don't tend to shoot a lot of, but in order to be able to shoot it becomes essential to reload even then bullets are expensive, cases I buy from Germany on e-gun.

Ahhhh Remington ammunition........................................... means those champion rip off merchants Edar Bros are involved. Edgars seem to think it's the best ammunition on the planet and price it accordingly. No wonder they don't sell much of it. You would have thought that the lack of sales would hint that they are not competatively priced would you not?

As for you 9.3mmm Bullets. I did manage to get some S&B ones but the importers don't seem very interested. Looks like a shopping trip the France is in order. I found the gunshop in Boulonge had them on the shelf and I picked up a box of RWS Cone Points to try....................... nice bullets of 246 Grn weight. It was interesting buying them as I don't speak but a few words of French and the chap in the shop spoke little to no English. Oh that was some years back I must add when Le Shuttle terminal was 1 1/2 hrs drive.

I agree Prvi Partizan is pretty good value for money unfortunately Kranks don't import the full range of calibres or bullets. Also some of the larger calibres that they do import are still quite pricey - .375 H&H at £160 per hundred still makes reloading atractive.
They don't import 9.3mm bullets at all which is a pity because looking on some of the U.S. websites indicate that they are very good value for money and are supposed to be highly recommended.

Last edited:
The trouble is that our sporting market is simply not big enough and we only have a handful of importers/ distributors who can charge what they like. We all look at USA gun Sites and just choke at out our prices by comparison.

Even hand loading is silly. I have a two year old tub of viht powder from York Guns that will now cost £32 more to replace from the same shop. We really dont need the authorities to make life harder just greedy suppliers to price us out of the game.

Off my soap box now and feel much better.

Went to the gunshop today for a box of Winchester Super X 55g in .243.Dealer brought them out for perusal....aesthetically beautiful in silver, like a new car in a showroom.I'll have those I thought "how much are they?" I asked......"£34.00 " he said.I left with a box of Winchester Accutip 75g load.Even they were £27.00 !.Never mind fuel going up! the last box of Super X's I bought still gave me change from a twenty.
100g .243win super x and 150g .308 win super x £22.80 a box at my local gun shop including the new vat rise!!

Shot a lamp shy fox last night at a measured 381m's with a 50gr privvi.
Outstanding though they are a little harder than american varmint rounds.

By Y'r'stalking - that's long-range!:old: ha ha ha - you unethical wounding horrible man, what if the wind had changed during bullet flight?:scared: - just kidding, sense the sarcasm, and reference to 'the subject of which we do not speak'.:rofl:

Back